The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Greg Rucka > Greg's Novels

Greg's Novels Perfect Dark, Queen & Country, Kodiak, Patriot Acts and more

Old May 15th, 2012   Miller is offline   #1
Miller

Default Alpha *review* sans spoilers...

Wow. Fast moving and action packed. Greg seems to have changed his style slightly for this one, but it is still recognizably Rucka as expected, the story jumps off quickly and takes a blistering pace as it progresses, first introducing us to the New Guy (main character Jad Bell) and then quickly laying out the course of his life and dropping him into Trouble and us, the readers, into the story.

I find Bell to be a likeable character. I hope Greg's other fans do, too. We meet his crew, but they are largely just cut-outs until late in the story. But if you like Bell, you will like his team. If you don't like Bell, you are reading the Wrong Book and might possibly should be reading something else. Perhaps you took a wrong turn coming out of Aisle 3...

Action - five stars - not many I have read lately do it as well as Greg.
Characterization - top notch - you Get the protagonist characters and feel for them and cheer them - and you loathe the antagonists and villains as you should.
Story - fast-moving, clever, well-planned and executed. Sort of like a D-boy assault. Me likey. A lot.

Final thoughts... Without giving away too much--Greg will probably take some flak from some areas for his choices with regards to some of the antagonists. My first reflection on finishing the story was some slight disappointment in a few of those choices and I think some misapprehension that there is a Message in the story--which there is, and it's a good one to bear in mind--but I elected not to let it sully my enjoyment of the book. This story is exactly what I have literally asked Greg to write into the world of Q&C more than once, but I am glad he made it something of its own. I hope to see more of these characters.

For what it's worth, Nice Job, Greg! Also, very cool Danny (Perkins)! Take it easy, y'all!

miller-illustration.blogspot.com
Old May 15th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #2
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Wow. Fast moving and action packed. Greg seems to have changed his style slightly for this one, but it is still recognizably Rucka as expected, the story jumps off quickly and takes a blistering pace as it progresses, first introducing us to the New Guy (main character Jad Bell) and then quickly laying out the course of his life and dropping him into Trouble and us, the readers, into the story.

I find Bell to be a likeable character. I hope Greg's other fans do, too. We meet his crew, but they are largely just cut-outs until late in the story. But if you like Bell, you will like his team. If you don't like Bell, you are reading the Wrong Book and might possibly should be reading something else. Perhaps you took a wrong turn coming out of Aisle 3...

Action - five stars - not many I have read lately do it as well as Greg.
Characterization - top notch - you Get the protagonist characters and feel for them and cheer them - and you loathe the antagonists and villains as you should.
Story - fast-moving, clever, well-planned and executed. Sort of like a D-boy assault. Me likey. A lot.

Final thoughts... Without giving away too much--Greg will probably take some flak from some areas for his choices with regards to some of the antagonists. My first reflection on finishing the story was some slight disappointment in a few of those choices and I think some misapprehension that there is a Message in the story--which there is, and it's a good one to bear in mind--but I elected not to let it sully my enjoyment of the book. This story is exactly what I have literally asked Greg to write into the world of Q&C more than once, but I am glad he made it something of its own. I hope to see more of these characters.

For what it's worth, Nice Job, Greg! Also, very cool Danny (Perkins)! Take it easy, y'all!
ddf
Miller View Post
It is great to see you man. Please do come around more often.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old May 15th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #3
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

It is great to see you man. Please do come around more often.
ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
Stickied for discussion!

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old May 15th, 2012   Miller is offline   #4
Miller

I'm around -- just not much to say, but I check in frequently. My online time is at a premium right now, is all. Both kids into a number of sports and working on drawings for people keeping me busy in my "off" hours from the day job...

Eager to hear what everyone thinks about this new book! ...

Old May 16th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #5
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

I'm around -- just not much to say, but I check in frequently. My online time is at a premium right now, is all. Both kids into a number of sports and working on drawings for people keeping me busy in my "off" hours from the day job...

Eager to hear what everyone thinks about this new book! ...
ddf
Miller View Post
4 things.

1. I thought it came out on the 22nd. How did you get a copy?

2. I feel like Wall-e. I come here every day and keep this place neat, but nobody is here and I'm not sure they are ever coming back.

3. Trust me, I understand the kids thing. Got 3. Luckily only 1 is old enough for sports. But he is pretty darn good at Soccer.

4. ALPHA is awesome. I'll post more thoughts after it officially hits stores as I don't want to spoil anything.

Old May 16th, 2012   Miller is offline   #6
Miller

Well, Danny, regarding #1, I don't know--I pre-ordered it way back in December and just got notice last week out of the blue that it was shipping for delivery on the 11th or 12th... Maybe Amazon goofed? Maybe some cubical monkey took pity on me and sent it early, LOL...

NEVER fear, I am around periodically, even if I don't check-in on a thread

Old May 16th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #7
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Well, Danny, regarding #1, I don't know--I pre-ordered it way back in December and just got notice last week out of the blue that it was shipping for delivery on the 11th or 12th... Maybe Amazon goofed? Maybe some cubical monkey took pity on me and sent it early, LOL...

NEVER fear, I am around periodically, even if I don't check-in on a thread
ddf
Miller View Post
I'm seeing a lot of buzz about it around the interwebs and twitter, so maybe you aren't the only one who got it early. I mean there can't be that many comp/ARC's floating around can there?

Haven't seen the final book yet. Look forward to it though.

Old May 16th, 2012   Matt Olsen is offline   #8
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

Amazon shows it as being in stock:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...pf_rd_i=507846

They sent out an email advertising it a few days ago.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old May 16th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #9
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Amazon shows it as being in stock:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...pf_rd_i=507846

They sent out an email advertising it a few days ago.
ddf
Matt Olsen View Post
I was looking on the amazon app on my Iphone and it says publication date 5/22.

Very strange.

Old May 17th, 2012   Ken Liner is offline   #10
Ken Liner
White Pawn 743 - ONLINE

My order is still "waiting to be shipped" with estimated delivery between 5/29 & 6/4.

Old May 18th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #11
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

ddf
Miller View Post
For what its worth, I just saw what you are talking about yesterday and wow, that is much more than I was expecting.

I'll have a story about that later if anyone cares.

Old May 21st, 2012   Jared465 is offline   #12
Jared465
Neo Geoffan

I was looking on the amazon app on my Iphone and it says publication date 5/22.

Very strange.
ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
hmm. this is good to know. I might be backpacking this weekend and tho i don't ever lug a HC around, for this i might make an exception!

Old October 22nd, 2012   manwithnoname is offline   #13
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

i bought the e-book kindle version.

great to read a new rucka character. definitely worth the read.

Old January 15th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #14
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Alpha set in Wilsonville.

Hard Rain set in Lake Oswego.

Any chance of a novel and/or comic featuring both characters since the location is minutes away from each other?

Oh, yeah! Stumptown set in Portland, OR.

The possibilities!