The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 20th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #129
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

It's still very early (International box office will come into play).
We really don't know what the movie cost, it's been guessed at $150M-$200M and what the expectations are by the WB.

Besides, Diane Nelson was responsible for the Harry Potter franchise, so I'm sure WB will give her some slack.
ddf
5andman View Post
As per boxofficemojo.com

Worldwide:

$70,174,303

The kids being out of school will help in during the week, I'm sure, but with Cars2 out on Friday and then Transformers out the following week, I'm not seeing a big break for the film.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 20th, 2011   JME2 is offline   #130
JME2
Geoffan

Yeah, this was it's big weekend chance; it won't get another one.

Old June 20th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #131
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

The expectations coming out of Warners were pretty clearly to replicate an Iron Man level franchise. The rationale seemingly was “if Marvel can do this with a B-character, so can we.” And they dumped a rumored $100 million into making this into a megahit. The first question might be “at what point did this project look like it was gelling enough to warrant that kind of marketing,” so we may just have out of control expectations driving the project before the first script was written.
ddf
If this was the goal then DC/Warner missed the boat. IMO They picked the wrong franchise if they were looking to match Iron Man.

IMO they should have done either Flash or Green Arrow...I believe either of those franchises would have drawn much bigger crowds and could have possibly been as successful as the Iron Man Franchise if done correctly.

GL was way to big and IMO should have been done down the road. It's going to be interesting to see if this puts the kabosh on future DC character movies for a while aside from Batman and Superman.
Last edited by chrisbenes; June 20th, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 20th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #132
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

I don't see GA or Flash having that much more impact, if they're being made at this same quality. Especially Green Arrow.

Where is everybody?
Old June 20th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #133
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

It's still very early (International box office will come into play).
We really don't know what the movie cost, it's been guessed at $150M-$200M and what the expectations are by the WB.

Besides, Diane Nelson was responsible for the Harry Potter franchise, so I'm sure WB will give her some slack.
ddf
5andman View Post
Yeah, I don't see Nelson coming off bad in this. Geoff, neither. As Heidi said, he has connections.

As the article said, it's most likely going to be Campbell's fault. And that sucks because I think he's a solid director. They should blame the writers (who are the same dudes doing the potential sequel...yikes).

Where is everybody?
Old June 20th, 2011   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #134
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I don't see GA or Flash having that much more impact, if they're being made at this same quality. Especially Green Arrow.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
I agree. I also think GL has or had the best shot to be DCs big franchise. While I love the movie and think it was fun...I think it could have been much better and it could have been a much bigger hit.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old June 21st, 2011   jafabian is offline   #135
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Yeah, I don't see Nelson coming off bad in this. Geoff, neither. As Heidi said, he has connections.

As the article said, it's most likely going to be Campbell's fault. And that sucks because I think he's a solid director. They should blame the writers (who are the same dudes doing the potential sequel...yikes).
ddf
Jake1823 View Post

Some critics have suggested that it looks like the GL film had quite a bit of it edited out. It'll be interesting to see if that's the case when the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out and if there's any deleted scenes with it. A poor editing job can hurt a film.

Look at Daredevil. When you see the deleted scenes and put them in their proper place within the film the story flows a lot better for the film.

Old June 21st, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #136
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

ddf
Jake1823 View Post
opinions vary. I'm sure people didn't see Iron Man as as having a huge impact either when it first came out.

Flash or GA could have been made more like Batman and Iron Man and that's why I think they would have been more successful.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 21st, 2011   Falloutboy is offline   #137
Falloutboy
Homesick at space camp

I'd love to see a Flash movie - hopefully that will be on the cards.

Old June 21st, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #138
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

I'd love to see a Flash movie - hopefully that will be on the cards.
ddf
Falloutboy View Post
I just think a movie like Flash could have been made more like the Iron Man Franchise.

While GL and Iron Man are obviously both superheroes I don't see how GL could ever be compared to Iron Man (not talking about success here).

Flash would have been a better choice IMO to build a franchise and a fan base for the DC movies and then down the road do GL.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 21st, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #139
virtuadept
bye.

I saw GL, thought it was a pretty good movie, but you know what? I said it before and I'll say it again. Ryan Reynolds is not the right actor for Hal Jordan. This movie was just plain miscast, plain and simple as that. As entertaining as Mr. Reynolds may be in other movies, he does not instill images of great willpower or courage. He looks a little bit like a scared little puppy in most shots. When he had the mask on he looked pretty cool, but that's it. And they took it off him way too often. For a super hero movie this could have done with a lot more fighting. Other than that, I enjoyed it, but it could have been a better movie with better casting and a better plot.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old June 21st, 2011   Marvelman ver.02 is offline   #140
Marvelman ver.02
Neo Geoffan

ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Sometimes people learn from their mistakes. We can hope.

Old June 21st, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #141
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Golly gee, as loathe as I am to say this, GA stands an outstanding chance. For years, a large part of the prime movie going audience got to see a variation of the character on Smallville. He's actually got a better chance at name recognition than Cap, Thor, GL and even Flash (who at least have people who may have seen an episode or two of the 90's show).

Sorry for being argumentative.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 21st, 2011   5andman is offline   #142
5andman
Master Geoffan

ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Also, GL was in production before Johns & Nelson were in their respective positions.

Old June 21st, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #143
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Also, GL was in production before Johns & Nelson were in their respective positions.
ddf
5andman View Post
It's their names that are front and center, though.

Golly gee, as loathe as I am to say this, GA stands an outstanding chance. For years, a large part of the prime movie going audience got to see a variation of the character on Smallville. He's actually got a better chance at name recognition than Cap, Thor, GL and even Flash (who at least have people who may have seen an episode or two of the 90's show).

Sorry for being argumentative.

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
If you say so. I don't know too much about the later seasons of Smallville.

Where is everybody?
Old June 21st, 2011   5andman is offline   #144
5andman
Master Geoffan

It's their names that are front and center, though.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
True. But, we're not privy to their strategy plans, WB's expectations, and, I'm sure they have some manoeuvring room because any new position has a grace period (new strategy plans, position hire(s), analysis', positioning, alignments, etc.)