The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 19th, 2011   E-MAC is offline   #113
E-MAC
Advanced Geoffan

Funny because I don't think of any of those as real problems as to why someone would not like the movie. And in fact they can all be answered and addressed pretty easily like this...

1. You're right that it does that but I don't believe that really hurts the movie one way or another. It's more of a factoid that lets you know that these characters have history together adding a scene from then in school while it would expand on that is not really neccesary to story.

2. Yes but they do show their connections and it's pretty deep. While you can make an argument that could be expanded on or played up earlier just like with point #1. You get everything you need to know in those scenes, one of the things I really like about GL is that they never handwalk you through the movie. They give you what you need to know and if you pay attention it pays off if you don't you might be lost.

3. I don't get this point at all, they clearly show the GLC and several GL's do get to do things. You can make an argument for more of the GLC which would be cool, but this isn't The GLC movie it's GL starring Hal.

4. I took that scene as being more about Hector showing off some of his powers and what he could do than it was about Amanda's character. Even though that could set her up in other movies to get a baseline on who she is and what she's about.

5. Again I didn't get that at all from that scene. I thought they played off the reveal and the emotions in that scene perfectly. Overall I was very impressed with Blake's take on Carol and her chemisty with Hal was just like in the comics. One minute they are fighting, the next flirting, the next kissing, then they're breaking up typical Hal and Carol imo.

6. I don't think he did, I believe the ring alerted him as to where Hammond was and Carol being there was a surprise to Hal.

7. I thought we got a great glimpse into Hal's character throughout the movie. From the opening scenes that show off his cocky attitude, to the dog fight where he beats the unbeatable planes. To him being with his nephew all of those scenes showed different parts of Hal's character. I also liked that it was his 2 best friends who helped Hal find that piece of him that only the ring at that point knew was there.

8. Sure he does but the threat that Parrallax represents is what helps Hal finally become the type of hero he can be. This was one of the few times in a comic book movie where 2 villans actually work perfectly and balance out the film between it's 2 main landscapes earth and space.

9. I believe Abin was taking a ship to try and rescue people from a planet that Parallax was attacking. Again you have to be paying attention to the movie or you'll miss some stuff. I was going over the movie with my friend and there were things in it that we both missed and the other got. Which is probably why I can't wait to see it again, I know there was plenty that I missed that I want to catch the second time.

GL isn't a perfect film but in reality there are very few who are. I don't get the negativity from reviewers on this specially from comic book sites. This is probably one of the truest representations of any comic book brought to the screen. I really think that this will be one of those that people look back on and go what were the critics thinking GL was a damn good movie.

"If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".
Old June 20th, 2011   flashsuper is offline   #114
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

I liked the movie - I'm not going to say I didn't (and I think its this thread I said it in).

But the movie isn't perfect; I think most of the negative reviews wanted things from the film that it didn't - or couldn't - deliver.

I can think of a whole number of problems with the film off the top of my head:
  1. The movie introduces the idea that Hector, Carol and Hal grew up together halfway through the film instead of building this up early on
  2. Hector and Hector's dad are introduced seperately and the connections between them Ferris and Hal and Carol are slow in coming.
  3. The movie introduces the idea of the Green Lantern Corps only to do nothing with any of the Green Lanterns
  4. We spend time learning about Amanda Waller's backstory that doesn't factor into the film at all; in fact Hector's mind reading bit goes nowhere anytime its used, ultimately
  5. The emotional through scene for Hal and Carol starts with a funny ID reveal, has them have an emotional reveal in the middle and then inexplicably Carol is upset and runs from him (probably a cut scene, but while I understand the intent of the scene, the editing undercuts any emotionality in the character bit)
  6. How does Hal know Carol is kidnapped at the end? How does he find Hector?
  7. We never really get close to Hal as a character. His story arc is muddled and never really follows through; he basically overcomes his fear and self-doubt...because he does? Because Carol believes in him? The ultimate source of his self-doubt - his dad's death - isn't really touched on
  8. A personable villain is more interesting that a CGI creation and ultimately Hector makes a more interesting opponent than Parallax
  9. Why does Abin Sur need a spaceship if all the other Lanterns can travel freely between planets?

That's nine things just off the top of my head. I don't think its a case of not understanding the material; I think the movie makes it easy for people to drop out (and I say this as someone who was entertained by the film).
ddf
Amentep View Post
I'm glad you posted some things you felt were possibly wrong. All of us can ahve a good debate on the merits of your, and my comments, and inject theirs INSTEAD of posting what critics say, some of which were bloated with vocabulary that critics enjoy using to make their point seem more relevent.

So, everyone, let's try and be concise on offering pros and cons about this movie.

I'm not picking on you amentep...you said you liked the movie, but you did offer some reasonable criticisms.

1. Why would they need to do that? It would take up more minutes better left for other things in the movie. It should be enough that when they were seen together there was friction and we saw why Hector felt the way he did. No need to relive teenage/young adult angst to fill time.

2. Again, what's the issue here? We saw the connection between Senator Hammond and Ferris because of the tests of the miltary planes. The revelation of Hector and his dad was a nice surprise for me, especially when we saw Hactor's reaction when the Senator was talking to Hal. WE know their is a connection between Hector and Hal, but the non GL viwers didn't and it was probably a good "a-ha" moment.

3.The movie was about Hal and his origin and him as a Green Lantern, not a story about the Green Lantern Corps. They gave a good explanation about what the Corps was so the new viewers would have a general idea and told the story of how Parallax came to be. All needed back story to help set up the rest of the movie. They didn't want the new viewers to be scratching their heads thinking "What the eff is a Parallax" if they didn't do it.

4. Again, why would they need to develop that? Waller was just a secondary piece of the puzzle, really, and Hector's mind-reading abilities were just a demonstration of how his powers progressed. It possibly gave a tidbit into Waller's past that they might use in a Suicide Squad movie (cool thought), but it was just a show of what Hector could now do with his power and to knock Waller off her game. Didn't Hector use his power on Hal and then Parallax realized that Hal had Abin Sur's (his enemy) ring?

5.They explained why she reacted the way she did, there was some scene where we see the missing part between their talk on the rooftops and her turning here back on him when they went back to her office.

6.I think he knew where to find Hector and and Hector showed him that he had Carol afte rHal arrived, it wasn't Hal running off to find a missing Carol.

7.Well, we saw all we needed to see to flesh out Hal as a person, he acted rashly to mask his fear that helped him deny he had a problem and when he finally realized it (we can really only overcome our own personal issues by ourselves, not by anyone's help, "to thine own self be true" and all that) and he makes a concious decision to change his "attitude?" People wake up and smeel the coffee all time time.

8.Well, Hector was a better villain than Parallax in that we could identify more with a human being than a monster, but all Hector was was a tool for the main villain and tools, when they have no value anymore, get thrown away...or sold at a garage sale. Parallax was the main antagonist.

9.Abin Sur probably could but Parallax was dishing up a good dish of kick ass and Abin got injured so his willpower might have been a little bit less of a factor (did you see the hole in his chest?) so maybe that was his only means of getting somewhere safely. And besides, if there wasn't a "dying alien in a spaceship giving a ring to Hal Jordan" part in the origin then there would have been A LOT of comic geeks howling like cut cats, no, make that raped apes for the sheer audacity of not following the proper stroy of his origin. Can you imagine all of the bitching that would have ensued? Good God would it have been bad.

Well, there are my humble comments on your points. Again, not picking on you, but I am finally glad that someone had the foresight to actually post some of their gripes than just a general bitchfest which is the usual modus operandi when people complain.

I have had a rebirth.
Old June 20th, 2011   flashsuper is offline   #115
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

Funny because I don't think of any of those as real problems as to why someone would not like the movie. And in fact they can all be answered and addressed pretty easily like this...

1. You're right that it does that but I don't believe that really hurts the movie one way or another. It's more of a factoid that lets you know that these characters have history together adding a scene from then in school while it would expand on that is not really neccesary to story.

2. Yes but they do show their connections and it's pretty deep. While you can make an argument that could be expanded on or played up earlier just like with point #1. You get everything you need to know in those scenes, one of the things I really like about GL is that they never handwalk you through the movie. They give you what you need to know and if you pay attention it pays off if you don't you might be lost.

3. I don't get this point at all, they clearly show the GLC and several GL's do get to do things. You can make an argument for more of the GLC which would be cool, but this isn't The GLC movie it's GL starring Hal.

4. I took that scene as being more about Hector showing off some of his powers and what he could do than it was about Amanda's character. Even though that could set her up in other movies to get a baseline on who she is and what she's about.

5. Again I didn't get that at all from that scene. I thought they played off the reveal and the emotions in that scene perfectly. Overall I was very impressed with Blake's take on Carol and her chemisty with Hal was just like in the comics. One minute they are fighting, the next flirting, the next kissing, then they're breaking up typical Hal and Carol imo.

6. I don't think he did, I believe the ring alerted him as to where Hammond was and Carol being there was a surprise to Hal.

7. I thought we got a great glimpse into Hal's character throughout the movie. From the opening scenes that show off his cocky attitude, to the dog fight where he beats the unbeatable planes. To him being with his nephew all of those scenes showed different parts of Hal's character. I also liked that it was his 2 best friends who helped Hal find that piece of him that only the ring at that point knew was there.

8. Sure he does but the threat that Parrallax represents is what helps Hal finally become the type of hero he can be. This was one of the few times in a comic book movie where 2 villans actually work perfectly and balance out the film between it's 2 main landscapes earth and space.

9. I believe Abin was taking a ship to try and rescue people from a planet that Parallax was attacking. Again you have to be paying attention to the movie or you'll miss some stuff. I was going over the movie with my friend and there were things in it that we both missed and the other got. Which is probably why I can't wait to see it again, I know there was plenty that I missed that I want to catch the second time.

GL isn't a perfect film but in reality there are very few who are. I don't get the negativity from reviewers on this specially from comic book sites. This is probably one of the truest representations of any comic book brought to the screen. I really think that this will be one of those that people look back on and go what were the critics thinking GL was a damn good movie.
ddf
E-MAC View Post
DAMN YOU E-MAC!!

I have had a rebirth.
Old June 20th, 2011   Eric Q is offline   #116
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

[*]Why does Abin Sur need a spaceship if all the other Lanterns can travel freely between planets?[/list]
ddf
Amentep View Post
I figure it was a standard to have lifeboats on satellites like they do on boats. Also as a backup since the ring can be out commission at times.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old June 20th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #117
Amentep

ddf
E-MAC View Post
The thing is, I'm looking at it from a character point of view. Introducing this plot element in the middle of the film (and then not really having it go anywhere) is unnecessary. Either its something important to the characters (and therefore to the audience) and should be addressed earlier or its not important and shouldn't be brought up.

I'd actually argue though that it should have been important since - character arc wise - Carol, Hal and Hector all have issues with their fathers.

ddf
E-MAC View Post
Again I'm looking at the character arcs and the characters come off as jumbled to me. Like the film wants to draw a line between or three main characters and give them a connection through parental relationships but never pulls the threads of that story angle through.

ddf
E-MAC View Post
The GLC is a gun introduced in the first act that never gets used in the third (apologies to Chekov). We're told how cool and great and all they are and - other than getting their assess handed to them (with Sinestro getting away to set up why he becomes fascinated by the power of Yellow) briefly they don't really factor into it. Hal has no relationship with them and it feels like the conflict with the guardians at the end is unearned emotionally/characterwise

ddf
E-MAC View Post
But this movie shouldn't exist just to set up the next movie. Hector's abilities mind reading powers don't become important in this movie, why are we wasting time on them? If Waller needs her backstory explained in a future movie...why not explain it then? Its wasted time in a movie that could have used their time better elsewhere.

ddf
E-MAC View Post
I liked the actors, but I never understood why they were fighting - I do really feel like I missed a scene in there.

ddf
E-MAC View Post
That's pretty convenient for Hal to pull out a power he's not shown on screen to have to find the villain at the end (still think its a missing scene).

ddf
E-MAC View Post
I think Hal's a strong character; I don't ever feel like he really dealt with the root cause of his problem - his dad's death.

ddf
E-MAC View Post
But...I didn't think they balanced. Hector was a lot more interesting than the amorphous blob. He personalized the conflict and IMO its a shame they tossed him aside.

ddf
E-MAC View Post
You shouldn't have to see a film multiple times to understand it - but I thought they said that Abin Sur was going to investigate what had been killing planets, but now that you mention it I do recall Sinestro telling Abin Sur that the planet he was going to was already destroyed so the idea that he was to evacuate makes more sense.

ddf
E-MAC View Post
Note that I said I enjoyed the film - but I think there is enough legitimate things for a person to lapse on and feel they didn't get enough explanation for to not like the film (as opposed to not understanding the source material which, I believe, was the claim I was responding to).

I'm glad you posted some things you felt were possibly wrong. All of us can ahve a good debate on the merits of your, and my comments, and inject theirs INSTEAD of posting what critics say, some of which were bloated with vocabulary that critics enjoy using to make their point seem more relevent.

So, everyone, let's try and be concise on offering pros and cons about this movie.

I'm not picking on you amentep...you said you liked the movie, but you did offer some reasonable criticisms.

1. Why would they need to do that? It would take up more minutes better left for other things in the movie. It should be enough that when they were seen together there was friction and we saw why Hector felt the way he did. No need to relive teenage/young adult angst to fill time.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
Because there's a parallelism to the father-child relationships that I think would be stronger if we knew how these characters related to one another as they go on their separate paths. I think knowing this would be important to Hal, Carol and Hector in their character arcs.

2. Again, what's the issue here? We saw the connection between Senator Hammond and Ferris because of the tests of the miltary planes. The revelation of Hector and his dad was a nice surprise for me, especially when we saw Hactor's reaction when the Senator was talking to Hal. WE know their is a connection between Hector and Hal, but the non GL viwers didn't and it was probably a good "a-ha" moment.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
Because the movie should be plot and characters; I felt we got a lot of plot at the expense of the characters.

(and I don't know about Hector and Hal's relationship as I'm not all that versed in Green Lantern mythology so no "a-ha" from me).

3.The movie was about Hal and his origin and him as a Green Lantern, not a story about the Green Lantern Corps. They gave a good explanation about what the Corps was so the new viewers would have a general idea and told the story of how Parallax came to be. All needed back story to help set up the rest of the movie. They didn't want the new viewers to be scratching their heads thinking "What the eff is a Parallax" if they didn't do it.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
My problem though is that they introduce all the other corps characters - spend time establishing them - but they don't play a part in the movie, ultimately. When Hal goes to the Guardians the first time, Sinestro tells Hal he's breaking the rules coming before them - rules we as an audience were never privy to. My argument isn't that they shouldn't have explained the GLC, but that they didn't explain it in a way that I felt strongly justified the way they were used (in short, I think there could have been a better way to show the audience the GLC without making the audience thing that the GLC should have been used in the end of the film).

4. Again, why would they need to develop that? Waller was just a secondary piece of the puzzle, really, and Hector's mind-reading abilities were just a demonstration of how his powers progressed. It possibly gave a tidbit into Waller's past that they might use in a Suicide Squad movie (cool thought), but it was just a show of what Hector could now do with his power and to knock Waller off her game. Didn't Hector use his power on Hal and then Parallax realized that Hal had Abin Sur's (his enemy) ring?
ddf
flashsuper View Post
My point isn't that they should have developed it but that there was no point in showing it as its irrelevant to the characters and the plot; they could have gotten that same essential information across in other ways (and what can I say, I don't buy Parallax going after Abin Sur's ring - he destroy's the guardians and Abin Sur's ring is pointless - so as a justification for showing Hector's mind powers its weak IMO).

5.They explained why she reacted the way she did, there was some scene where we see the missing part between their talk on the rooftops and her turning here back on him when they went back to her office.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
Er...never really got that.

6.I think he knew where to find Hector and and Hector showed him that he had Carol afte rHal arrived, it wasn't Hal running off to find a missing Carol.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
How does he find Hector? Why does he find Hector? When does Hector take Carol? Why does he take Carol?

What's the motivations here? What are their goals? They're not really explained in the movie (and again this is where I come back to that the movie doesn't draw a good string through the character arcs)

7.Well, we saw all we needed to see to flesh out Hal as a person, he acted rashly to mask his fear that helped him deny he had a problem and when he finally realized it (we can really only overcome our own personal issues by ourselves, not by anyone's help, "to thine own self be true" and all that) and he makes a concious decision to change his "attitude?" People wake up and smeel the coffee all time time.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
I think we got the bare minimum to explain the change; again though I feel like if you're looking for a strong character arc for the main character its not there.

8.Well, Hector was a better villain than Parallax in that we could identify more with a human being than a monster, but all Hector was was a tool for the main villain and tools, when they have no value anymore, get thrown away...or sold at a garage sale. Parallax was the main antagonist.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
I understand that, but ultimately he was the more interesting one whether he was the main antagonist or not.

9.Abin Sur probably could but Parallax was dishing up a good dish of kick ass and Abin got injured so his willpower might have been a little bit less of a factor (did you see the hole in his chest?) so maybe that was his only means of getting somewhere safely. And besides, if there wasn't a "dying alien in a spaceship giving a ring to Hal Jordan" part in the origin then there would have been A LOT of comic geeks howling like cut cats, no, make that raped apes for the sheer audacity of not following the proper stroy of his origin. Can you imagine all of the bitching that would have ensued? Good God would it have been bad.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
I think EMAC is right that the ship was to evacuate people (after he mentioned it, I remembered some dialogue from Sinestro that backs up that).

Well, there are my humble comments on your points. Again, not picking on you, but I am finally glad that someone had the foresight to actually post some of their gripes than just a general bitchfest which is the usual modus operandi when people complain.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
No problem - hopefully others will come up with more concrete reasons. Again I liked the film, but I think there are places where a legitimate criticism could be leveled against it (without touching the "bad acting" thing, which I wouldn't with a 10-foot pole).

Old June 20th, 2011   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #118
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

I liked the movie - I'm not going to say I didn't (and I think its this thread I said it in).

But the movie isn't perfect; I think most of the negative reviews wanted things from the film that it didn't - or couldn't - deliver.

I can think of a whole number of problems with the film off the top of my head:
  1. The movie introduces the idea that Hector, Carol and Hal grew up together halfway through the film instead of building this up early on
  2. Hector and Hector's dad are introduced seperately and the connections between them Ferris and Hal and Carol are slow in coming.
  3. The movie introduces the idea of the Green Lantern Corps only to do nothing with any of the Green Lanterns
  4. We spend time learning about Amanda Waller's backstory that doesn't factor into the film at all; in fact Hector's mind reading bit goes nowhere anytime its used, ultimately
  5. The emotional through scene for Hal and Carol starts with a funny ID reveal, has them have an emotional reveal in the middle and then inexplicably Carol is upset and runs from him (probably a cut scene, but while I understand the intent of the scene, the editing undercuts any emotionality in the character bit)
  6. How does Hal know Carol is kidnapped at the end? How does he find Hector?
  7. We never really get close to Hal as a character. His story arc is muddled and never really follows through; he basically overcomes his fear and self-doubt...because he does? Because Carol believes in him? The ultimate source of his self-doubt - his dad's death - isn't really touched on
  8. A personable villain is more interesting that a CGI creation and ultimately Hector makes a more interesting opponent than Parallax
  9. Why does Abin Sur need a spaceship if all the other Lanterns can travel freely between planets?

That's nine things just off the top of my head. I don't think its a case of not understanding the material; I think the movie makes it easy for people to drop out (and I say this as someone who was entertained by the film).
ddf
Amentep View Post
(Preface: I am a huge green lantern fan, and basically have been waiting for this movie since i started reading.)

I have to be honest, i saw the movie and was disappointed. These were some of the issues, although #8 i don't agree with because i saw no real point to Hector Hammond other than to hold screen space until Parallax appeared. He didn't do much other than give hal opportunities to save people: he wasn't a threat, and there were more interesting earth based villains to use.

That, i think, is ultimately the downfall of the movie: it tried to cover too much too fast...'infodump' at its worst.

What should have happened was a commitment to either OA or Earth, as in: If you're going to make Oa a prime element, have the movie happen in space, so that you can keep the focus; if you're going to have Hal on Earth, give him a villain like Black Hand who can be entirely Earth based (not needing Parallax) and keep hal on planet.

The writing was also very shoddy in that the pacing was off; things just happened or happened out of nowhere (like Carol being kidnapped and hal realizing it). Parallax attacking Earth seemed to really make no sense because he didn't seem to realize until he ALREADY arrived that Hal was there with Abin's ring, which indicates: either Earth is closer to Oa than we think because Parallax was on his way there, or he arbitrarily chose Earth and made a massive detour there.

Also...how come no one is commenting on the fact that Hal had about 2 minutes of training, which involved him being beaten up, getting 1 hit in, and then leaving, yet gains all the skills he needs to be a legendary lantern? And don't try to say "they finished off screen", because he goes straight into a fight with Sinestro, then leaves because he thinks he's no good.

And before anyone says "hey, it's not easy writing a movie!" or any such, i'm already working on a fixed up version...
Last edited by Sp33df0rc3; June 20th, 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old June 20th, 2011   E-MAC is offline   #119
E-MAC
Advanced Geoffan

The thing is, I'm looking at it from a character point of view. Introducing this plot element in the middle of the film (and then not really having it go anywhere) is unnecessary. Either its something important to the characters (and therefore to the audience) and should be addressed earlier or its not important and shouldn't be brought up.

I'd actually argue though that it should have been important since - character arc wise - Carol, Hal and Hector all have issues with their fathers.

Again I'm looking at the character arcs and the characters come off as jumbled to me. Like the film wants to draw a line between or three main characters and give them a connection through parental relationships but never pulls the threads of that story angle through.

The GLC is a gun introduced in the first act that never gets used in the third (apologies to Chekov). We're told how cool and great and all they are and - other than getting their assess handed to them (with Sinestro getting away to set up why he becomes fascinated by the power of Yellow) briefly they don't really factor into it. Hal has no relationship with them and it feels like the conflict with the guardians at the end is unearned emotionally/characterwise

But this movie shouldn't exist just to set up the next movie. Hector's abilities mind reading powers don't become important in this movie, why are we wasting time on them? If Waller needs her backstory explained in a future movie...why not explain it then? Its wasted time in a movie that could have used their time better elsewhere.

I liked the actors, but I never understood why they were fighting - I do really feel like I missed a scene in there.

That's pretty convenient for Hal to pull out a power he's not shown on screen to have to find the villain at the end (still think its a missing scene).

I think Hal's a strong character; I don't ever feel like he really dealt with the root cause of his problem - his dad's death.

But...I didn't think they balanced. Hector was a lot more interesting than the amorphous blob. He personalized the conflict and IMO its a shame they tossed him aside.

You shouldn't have to see a film multiple times to understand it - but I thought they said that Abin Sur was going to investigate what had been killing planets, but now that you mention it I do recall Sinestro telling Abin Sur that the planet he was going to was already destroyed so the idea that he was to evacuate makes more sense.

Note that I said I enjoyed the film - but I think there is enough legitimate things for a person to lapse on and feel they didn't get enough explanation for to not like the film (as opposed to not understanding the source material which, I believe, was the claim I was responding to).
ddf
Amentep View Post
1. I don't really see it that way, the reason it's introduced is to show that there is history between the characters. It sets up the jealousy of Hammond towards Hal and his obssession with Blake without wasting time trying to go back with flashbacks and making the film longer. It's a pretty effective and quick way to introduce plot points and keeping the film going foward.

You're right they do and they show that in the movie, i'm sure they could have added more scenes touching on that but then movie would have been 3 hours long.

2. And I think the film does pull that off, it just doesn't hit you over the head with any of it. The movie for a big blockbuster in many ways delivers alot of information and effectiveness in smaller scenes that if you don't watch carefully you can miss things. I like that, because if you go too into it you start making a different movie than Green Lantern is supposed to be.

3. Maybe that would be true if this was a movie about The Corps but it's not it's Hal Jordan's origin story. The GLC is represented through Hal and his actions showing that the ring never chooses wrong and just how powerfull Green Lanterns can be. Hal just met the Corps of course he's not going to bond with them overnight, as far as the confrontation with The Guardians I thought that was probably my favorite scene in the movie. Hal finally finds in himself what the ring knew he had in him and I didn't feel that scene was unearned in anyway it was set up perfectly.

4. Actually Hector's mind reading powers are used on Hal if I remember correctly and that's how he finds out about the GLC and his powers. Also I don't believe that scene wasted anything it was pretty cool little scene that set up her possible role in other movies.

5. I don't think there was a scene missing, that's just Hal and Carol they have a very complicated relationship that can change with the wind. It's one of the the things I was very impressed with in the movie, both actors basically became their characters when they were in those small scenes together.

6. Actually i'm pretty sure he uses that same power when he first meets Hammond earlier in the film.

7. I think they did that's how he's able to overcome fear when he finally admits that he's scared.

8. He was but in the end his threat simply wasn't big enough to be the big bad of the film which is why like I said both villans balanced out the other perfectly in the film.

9. Clearly, but you do have to be paying attention or you'll miss things.

10. Sure there are but i'm just saying that you can also explain some of the things some people are complaining about pretty easily.

"If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".
Old June 20th, 2011   flashsuper is offline   #120
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

(Preface: I am a huge green lantern fan, and basically have been waiting for this movie since i started reading.)

I have to be honest, i saw the movie and was disappointed. These were some of the issues, although #8 i don't agree with because i saw no real point to Hector Hammond other than to hold screen space until Parallax appeared. He didn't do much other than give hal opportunities to save people: he wasn't a threat, and there were more interesting earth based villains to use.

That, i think, is ultimately the downfall of the movie: it tried to cover too much too fast...'infodump' at its worst.

What should have happened was a commitment to either OA or Earth, as in: If you're going to make Oa a prime element, have the movie happen in space, so that you can keep the focus; if you're going to have Hal on Earth, give him a villain like Black Hand who can be entirely Earth based (not needing Parallax) and keep hal on planet.

The writing was also very shoddy in that the pacing was off; things just happened or happened out of nowhere (like Carol being kidnapped and hal realizing it). Parallax attacking Earth seemed to really make no sense because he didn't seem to realize until he ALREADY arrived that Hal was there with Abin's ring, which indicates: either Earth is closer to Oa than we think because Parallax was on his way there, or he arbitrarily chose Earth and made a massive detour there.

Also...how come no one is commenting on the fact that Hal had about 2 minutes of training, which involved him being beaten up, getting 1 hit in, and then leaving, yet gains all the skills he needs to be a legendary lantern? And don't try to say "they finished off screen", because he goes straight into a fight with Sinestro, then leaves because he thinks he's no good.

And before anyone says "hey, it's not easy writing a movie!" or any such, i'm already working on a fixed up version...
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
I don't get why people are hung up on this. Did they not see the car waiting outside Carol's office as Hal flew away from their chat/spat? Who do you think is in the car? Dominos Pizza? I knew after I saw that car waiting that Carol was in trouble. Why does there have to be a scene showing her getting kidnapped when everyone that was watching should have KNOWN that it was coming.

AND the only time Hal knew that Carol was kidnapped (there was no sudden realization) was when he went to confront Hector and Hector POINTED IT OUT. It was one of those, "Uh, uh, uh tough guy. Look what I got" moments. Nothing else needs to be said or done.

Hector wasn't needed? Parallax was on his way to kicking Abin Sur's ass when Sur escaped. If Hector wasn't needed how long of a movie would it have taken for Parallax to find Sur? Well, he was dead for one thing. Hector would not have been infected, nor then touched Hal, then Parallax would not have had a reason to go after the bearer of Abin Sur's ring...he would not even known what was going on.

Earth had to be the prime element, not OA, because Hal is from earth, it was HIS origin, and so I believe that his first order of business would be to protect his home planet in his own sector. He might be a space cop now, but he's still an earthman first.

I have had a rebirth.
Old June 20th, 2011   Falloutboy is offline   #121
Falloutboy
Homesick at space camp

Saw it again today and I enjoyed it a lot more this time because I was relaxed in the knowledge that it rocks.

Old June 20th, 2011   Scottifer is offline   #122
Scottifer
Cooler than you...

I really enjoyed it. I saw the 3D version, still not too sold on 3D but it didn't take from the movie.

I was confused, according to the credits John Steward (played by nick jones) is in the movie but I do not recall seeing him. When was he in it?

I'm also pissed because I didn't stay until after the credits apparently there is something after the closing credits.

I don't have an ego, I just love how awesome I am.
Old June 20th, 2011   5andman is offline   #123
5andman
Master Geoffan

I hope the WB perceives GL as a Batman Begins and not a Superman Returns, and Green-lights a sequel!

Old June 20th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #124
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

I really enjoyed it. I saw the 3D version, still not too sold on 3D but it didn't take from the movie.

I was confused, according to the credits John Steward (played by nick jones) is in the movie but I do not recall seeing him. When was he in it?

I'm also pissed because I didn't stay until after the credits apparently there is something after the closing credits.
ddf
Scottifer View Post
halfway through there was a scene

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
sinestro took the yellow ring which was locked away and put it on

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 20th, 2011   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #125
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

I don't get why people are hung up on this. Did they not see the car waiting outside Carol's office as Hal flew away from their chat/spat? Who do you think is in the car? Dominos Pizza? I knew after I saw that car waiting that Carol was in trouble. Why does there have to be a scene showing her getting kidnapped when everyone that was watching should have KNOWN that it was coming.

AND the only time Hal knew that Carol was kidnapped (there was no sudden realization) was when he went to confront Hector and Hector POINTED IT OUT. It was one of those, "Uh, uh, uh tough guy. Look what I got" moments. Nothing else needs to be said or done.

Hector wasn't needed? Parallax was on his way to kicking Abin Sur's ass when Sur escaped. If Hector wasn't needed how long of a movie would it have taken for Parallax to find Sur? Well, he was dead for one thing. Hector would not have been infected, nor then touched Hal, then Parallax would not have had a reason to go after the bearer of Abin Sur's ring...he would not even known what was going on.

Earth had to be the prime element, not OA, because Hal is from earth, it was HIS origin, and so I believe that his first order of business would be to protect his home planet in his own sector. He might be a space cop now, but he's still an earthman first.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
no, but hal just suddenly appears in a warehouse. There's no connection. a number of people in the theater asked "how did he get here?" because he is on Oa, he then heads for earth, then suddenly he crashes into the warehouse. There was nothing linking them up.

And again, Parallax showed up to Earth BEFORE hal touched his ring to hammond. Parallax is already hovering above the atmosphere when he realizes hal is there.

Hence, I find it really bizarre that he just shows up, because it's not til he's already there that he finds his motivation for being there. this isn't doctor who where we get to use fourth dimensional chekov guns.

and i still think it would have been "cleaner" to just make an earth based villain then (hector was parallax made). By making Parallax the prime mover and shaker, Hal had to frequently travel between Oa and Earth to try and have the infodump work, which just detracts.

Honestly? I think this movie should have just started with yellow lantern sinestro. that's much easier to inform about than parallax, and if he had killed abin (like he did in the Superman cartoon), it makes a more compelling fear, because this guy was trained by your predecesor, and had no problem killing him. the personal connection is stronger, and it also prevents making the rest of the green lantern corps look stupid. (also, because the info on him is relatively easier to get than parallax, hal only needs to learn aabout sinestro on the first trip to oa, and stay on earth for the rest of the movie, rather than travel back a couple more times). I don't blame them for not using the corps more, that would have just made hal look like a bit of a bitch, but it also wouldn't have made hal look like he was forced into being "a legend" right away.

Why do they look stupid?

how come hal is the FIRST ONE to think "let me throw parallax into the sun?" Kilowag basically says "hey, suns will burn things that are massive", and apparently this is part of every lantern's training, so why is Hal hte first one to think of it?
Last edited by Sp33df0rc3; June 20th, 2011 at 03:21 PM.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old June 20th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #126
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

What does Green Lantern's Box Office mean for DC Entertainment?

Looks like Geoff and Diane Nelson might be getting some heat. Warner's, as a whole, looks like a mess, though. Maybe that's where DC gets it from.

Where is everybody?
Old June 20th, 2011   5andman is offline   #127
5andman
Master Geoffan

ddf
Scottifer View Post
His scenes probably got cut. I didn't notice him in the film at all.

Old June 20th, 2011   5andman is offline   #128
5andman
Master Geoffan

What does Green Lantern's Box Office mean for DC Entertainment?

Looks like Geoff and Diane Nelson might be getting some heat. Warner's, as a whole, looks like a mess, though. Maybe that's where DC gets it from.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
It's still very early (International box office will come into play).
We really don't know what the movie cost, it's been guessed at $150M-$200M and what the expectations are by the WB.

Besides, Diane Nelson was responsible for the Harry Potter franchise, so I'm sure WB will give her some slack.