The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 19th, 2011   DarkeSword is offline   #97
DarkeSword
Neo Geoffan

I only quoted you to point out your issue with the soundtrack. Not that I have an issue with your issue, I don't really care about the soundtrack myself. What I DID notice during musical parts of the movie is that I could hear a similar sounding tone like that from the Christopher Reeves Superman movies. If you listen closely during ceratin parts you can hear the very beginning of the superman theme music.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
I noticed that too. There was a small brass motif working in 4th and 5th intervals (similar to Superman's Theme). Every time I heard it, it sounded like James Newton Howard (the composer) was hinting at some kind of "Green Lantern Theme," but it was always lost in a lot of strings, and he never really made any kind of powerful, memorable statement with it. A bit disappointing, really. :\

Old June 19th, 2011   Justin is offline   #98
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

Here's a quickie list of the reviews:

Superhero Hype: "Green Lantern fails on so many levels, both as a movie and as a comics adaptation; one of the bigger disappointments of the summer."

IGN: "The film is bad enough to possibly kill any hope for ever seeing The Flash or Justice League."

Bleeding Cool: "Green Lantern is a kids move; but it's a kids movie any fanboys can enjoy".

Comic Vine: "The movie is worth watching for comic fans, as long as you can watch without getting angry."

AICN: "So much wasted time that it doesn't earn those moments at the end that want to be triumphant."

Crave Online: "This is not the start of a great new blockbuster franchise. It may have already put an end to it."

Newsarama: "There's nothing truly bad about Green Lantern, but there's nothing really memorable in it either."

CBR: "It's worth watching for the special effects if nothing else, but don't be surprised when the movie fails to deliver on its epic premise."

Rolling Stone: "Green Lantern is a new primer on how not to make a comicbook movie unless you want to screw...up."

TIME: "When Hal is initiated, he is told, 'Its limits are only what you can imagine.' Ok, I imagine I'm watching a better movie."

Entertainment Weekly: "The whole movie is eye candy, and not much more."

US Weekly: "Green Lantern fails to shine."

MSNBC: "A pretty joyless comic book movie experience."

New York Observer: "A dumb, pointless, ugly, moronic and incomprehensible jumble of botched effects, technical blunders, and cluttered chaos."

UGO: "An accurate representation of the comic book artform: brisk, enjoyable, and ephemeral."

Salon: "Green Lantern is purely a popcorn movie for 12-year-olds, who won't be disappointed."

Associated Press: "A joyless amalgamation of expository dialogue and special effects that aren't especially special."

Hitfix: "Plenty of mistakes were made in bringing Green Lantern to the big screen; I have a feeling this is our one and only trip to Oa."

Hollywood.com: "For an actor praised for his down-to-earth demeanor, larger-than-life may simply lie outside of Ryan Reynolds' range."

Sky Movies: "Led by the ever-watchable Ryan Reynolds, Hal is a pale imitation of Robert Downey Jrs Tony Stark."

Metromix: "The amount of money thrown at the screen isn't nearly as important as the quality of the story being told."
ddf
Damn...although I don't disagree with any of them. Interestingly how the comic sites tend to agree with the mainstream critics.

You know it's bad when the most positive thing said is "it's dumb but enjoyable" (or some variation). Whenever reviewers say that it always makes me think they're trying not to piss off the studio who made the film too much.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old June 19th, 2011   Lundonj is offline   #99
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

Just saw it...I actually enjoyed it much more than I thought.

Wasn't fantastic but it was a good superhero movie.

Acting was fine IMO, uniforms were much better than it looked like in the previews or in pics. OA was done well. All in all an enjoyable movie. Very happy it wasn't a flop.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post

I think that is a fair take. A decent flick in all, I will likely go back and see it again over the next few days.

At the end of the day, a lot of complaints were from people that flat out don't get superhero stuff or Green Lantern. It takes a bigger leap of imagination to like the character in the first place, it is kind of why I always liked the Emerald Warriors. Heavy duty sci-fi with adventures that happen from a city alley to deep space and beyond.

-Don

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. -- George Carlin
Old June 19th, 2011   Justin is offline   #100
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

At the end of the day, a lot of complaints were from people that flat out don't get superhero stuff or Green Lantern.
ddf
Lundonj View Post
That's not true at all. Many of the reviewers express knowledge of the character and many of the reviews come from comic sites.

You can't blame bad reviews on stuffy critics that "don't get it." That's a strawman argument. They simply didn't enjoy the film. There's no need to explain away their opinions simply because you don't like them.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old June 19th, 2011   Lundonj is offline   #101
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

That's not true at all. Many of the reviewers express knowledge of the character and many of the reviews come from comic sites.

You can't blame bad reviews on stuffy critics that "don't get it." That's a strawman argument. They simply didn't enjoy the film. There's no need to explain away their opinions simply because you don't like them.
ddf
Justin View Post

I read through all of the reviews posted the first night, and of those first 40 reviews, less than 10 were from comic book related websites or publications. So, I was talking about THOSE reviewers who expressed complaints about the comic book elements of the movie.

Not all opinions are created equal. Bad reviews are like bad movies, if they don't understand the source material, the opinion doesn't carry the same weight for me. And actually, some people don't get it. They really don't.

-Don

Old June 19th, 2011   darthlucifuge is offline   #102
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Personally I liked it but I understand where a lot of these criticisms are coming from.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old June 19th, 2011   darthlucifuge is offline   #103
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

If you liked it, you liked it. If they didn't...so what. I see where there coming from and I agree with most of it, yet I liked the movie a lot.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old June 19th, 2011   Justin is offline   #104
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

I read through all of the reviews posted the first night, and of those first 40 reviews, less than 10 were from comic book related websites or publications. So, I was talking about THOSE reviewers who expressed complaints about the comic book elements of the movie.
ddf
Lundonj View Post
There are 166 reviews of the film on Rotten Tomatoes--125 of which are listed as rotten. It's not rational to suggest that they're all ignorant or trying to intentionally sink the film. It also fails to address that the criticisms of the movie are all pretty consistent: bad pacing, bad CGI, mediocre acting, and a weak plot.

Not all opinions are created equal. Bad reviews are like bad movies, if they don't understand the source material, the opinion doesn't carry the same weight for me. And actually, some people don't get it. They really don't.
ddf
My problem is you implying that the reviewers gave it bad reviews because they look down on the source material (to explain away them not liking it). This is a common technique used to devalue opinions and relieve cognitive dissonance. Many of the reviews I read (from comic sites and otherwise) do suggest some knowledge of the character and its mythos.

Likewise, your argument could be used against you. Who's to say you get to comment on film since you haven't studied the techniques that go into it? You're accusing the critics of elitism, yet practicing it yourself.

And just look at critics like James Berardinelli, a credible critic who seems to know the potential of a GL origin story (suggesting familiarity): http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_...dentifier=2321

I could easily find many more like this. The point is, many critics (including non-comic based site critics) DO get it and still don't like it. And they're well within their rights to give their honest opinion of the film. That's what a critic is for: to review films to help you make an informed choice over whether you want to spend your money on it.

In the end, any venom spat at critics really does come from fear. "Why care about the critics?" That's actually a good question, one that those insulting the critics ought to ask of themselves--they seemingly care the most about them.

Old June 19th, 2011   Lundonj is offline   #105
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

There are 166 reviews of the film on Rotten Tomatoes--125 of which are listed as rotten. It's not rational to suggest that they're all ignorant or trying to intentionally sink the film. It also fails to address that the criticisms of the movie are all pretty consistent: bad pacing, bad CGI, mediocre acting, and a weak plot.
ddf
Justin View Post
I thought you were not a big fan of the straw man, but you built a substantial one based on my sentence. I never said they're ALL ignorant, and I never claimed ANYONE was trying to SINK the film. I do applaud your hyperbole in defense of film reviewers, but if you're going to jump on something I said, be sure it is something I actually wrote.

My problem is you implying that the reviewers gave it bad reviews because they look down on the source material (to explain away them not liking it). This is a common technique used to devalue opinions and relieve cognitive dissonance. Many of the reviews I read (from comic sites and otherwise) do suggest some knowledge of the character and its mythos.
ddf
I said a lot (not all) of the reviews I read included complaints that made it clear they were not familiar with the source material. I think that was a fair conclusion based on what I had read to that point. I have not gone back and read them all, just the first three or four dozen national reviewers.

Likewise, your argument could be used against you. Who's to say you get to comment on film since you haven't studied the techniques that go into it? You're accusing the critics of elitism, yet practicing it yourself.
ddf
Where did I accuse anyone of elitism? As to who "gets" to comment on a film? Anyone who sees the film is allowed an opinion, I simply noted not all opinions are created equal. Does your definition of elitism include dismissing the opinions of everyone here who didn't agree with some or all of the reviewers?

I could easily find many more like this. The point is, many critics (including non-comic based site critics) DO get it and still don't like it. And they're well within their rights to give their honest opinion of the film. That's what a critic is for: to review films to help you make an informed choice over whether you want to spend your money on it.
ddf
I'm certain some critics understood the material and didn't like the movie, but that was not what I was talking about. I am also well within my rights to give my honest opinion about their honest opinion of the film. As to what a critic is for, that is completely up to the individual. I've never utilized a review of a movie, book, CD or film to determine my participation. And this from someone who has written a boat load of reviews myself (including some comic reviews for the Bloc back in the day). Personally, I love to check reviews AFTER I have seen or read something, to compare perceptions.

Ultimately, that is all any review is, one person's perception. I spoke to the perceptions that sounded especially uninformed to me.

In the end, any venom spat at critics really does come from fear. "Why care about the critics?" That's actually a good question, one that those insulting the critics ought to ask of themselves--they seemingly care the most about them.
ddf
Continuing that logic, if you're happy with the reviewers, why care what people in this forum say about them? Critics have also been known to dish insults on the directors, writers and actors, I bet they will be fine with my opinions. It is the classic online forum thread complaining about the complainers. A review is public entertainment, and as such, is also open to critique.

-Don

Old June 19th, 2011   JRM is offline   #106
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

-Don
ddf
Lundonj View Post
But the problem is are the non comic fan viewes going to have the same reaction as the non comic fan reviewer?

JIm

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old June 19th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #107
jafabian
Im not dead.

Personally I liked it but I understand where a lot of these criticisms are coming from.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
If you liked it, you liked it. If they didn't...so what. I see where there coming from and I agree with most of it, yet I liked the movie a lot.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post

Very well said. This is it in a nutshell regarding the movie. Like any other film there will be its supporters and detractors. Reviews are opinions and everyone will have one. And for the sake of discussion lets remember to respect one another's opinion and discuss the movie and not critique what other's may or may not have said in their posts.

Old June 19th, 2011   Lundonj is offline   #108
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

But the problem is are the non comic fan viewes going to have the same reaction as the non comic fan reviewer?

JIm
ddf
JRM View Post
If a review is well written, it does not matter to me whether the person agrees with me or not. I thought one of the better reviews was CBR. They beat it up pretty good, but included some reasons why some may like it, and that there was some fun to be had.

-Don

Old June 19th, 2011   JRM is offline   #109
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

If a review is well written, it does not matter to me whether the person agrees with me or not. I thought one of the better reviews was CBR. They beat it up pretty good, but included some reasons why some may like it, and that there was some fun to be had.

-Don
ddf
Lundonj View Post
That is not my point, we are hearing most posters here lambast the reviews, honestly, I've read none - not that interested - but my conjection is that the part of the audience that posts here are more in likely going to be the ones that will more willing to over-look and short-comings or not even see them as a short-comming; I get that and I'm not questioning the taste of the posters here. My question is - and it remains mostly un-answered - how much appeal does this film (and by extention, the movies of B-list characters) have to the general viewing audience - in the end, it is even more than will they like it, but will they even be willing to drop their coin and if they do with they think it was worth it.

For fans of a character, actor, source material, etc - they will look to reviews to vindicate their feelings and will more often than not feel irked when they don't get the hoped for response. Hence, most of the feelings demonstrated in the many threads here (oddly they have been condenced into just one?) Now, for those going in with out expectations (good or bad) they look to reviews to see if it is worth the effort. If a viewer has found that their personal takes jibe with the reviewer they tend to give it more credence - if not, they read it just to scoft at it.

So in the end, do reviews matter - depends on what you want out of them - time will tell whether or not they are any indication to the success or this (or any other comic based film).

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old June 19th, 2011   MattDiCarlo is offline   #110
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

Do we have to bring up the Thor and X-Men: First Class numbers again?

Old June 19th, 2011   Lundonj is offline   #111
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

For fans of a character, actor, source material, etc - they will look to reviews to vindicate their feelings and will more often than not feel irked when they don't get the hoped for response. Hence, most of the feelings demonstrated in the many threads here (oddly they have been condenced into just one?) Now, for those going in with out expectations (good or bad) they look to reviews to see if it is worth the effort. If a viewer has found that their personal takes jibe with the reviewer they tend to give it more credence - if not, they read it just to scoft at it.

So in the end, do reviews matter - depends on what you want out of them - time will tell whether or not they are any indication to the success or this (or any other comic based film).

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Again, for me personally, I have never based anything I have ever watched or purchased based on a review. I do enjoy reviews, even those that do NOT share my perception, after I see a movie or read a book.

I agree it is common for folks to look to reviews, forums, tweets, etc, that validate their opinion. I don't need people to agree with me, or like what I like. I haven't needed a level of acceptance since 4th grade, but I understand why people who hated or loved the movie, seek out reinforcement.

The 'net was not around for me in 1977, but I don't recall any review I read in newspapers or magazines that was positive about Star Wars. I am sure there were some reviewers out there who loved it, I just did not see anything positive myself. I think that may be the one example where I do not think the reviews mattered much to the general audience. This is not to suggest GL is the new Star Wars, although each is a bit of campy, sci-fi fun.

That said, the modern audience is plugged in, and the reviews do matter to a lot of people.

-Don

Old June 19th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #112
Amentep

I think that is a fair take. A decent flick in all, I will likely go back and see it again over the next few days.

At the end of the day, a lot of complaints were from people that flat out don't get superhero stuff or Green Lantern. It takes a bigger leap of imagination to like the character in the first place, it is kind of why I always liked the Emerald Warriors. Heavy duty sci-fi with adventures that happen from a city alley to deep space and beyond.

-Don
ddf
Lundonj View Post
I liked the movie - I'm not going to say I didn't (and I think its this thread I said it in).

But the movie isn't perfect; I think most of the negative reviews wanted things from the film that it didn't - or couldn't - deliver.

I can think of a whole number of problems with the film off the top of my head:
  1. The movie introduces the idea that Hector, Carol and Hal grew up together halfway through the film instead of building this up early on
  2. Hector and Hector's dad are introduced seperately and the connections between them Ferris and Hal and Carol are slow in coming.
  3. The movie introduces the idea of the Green Lantern Corps only to do nothing with any of the Green Lanterns
  4. We spend time learning about Amanda Waller's backstory that doesn't factor into the film at all; in fact Hector's mind reading bit goes nowhere anytime its used, ultimately
  5. The emotional through scene for Hal and Carol starts with a funny ID reveal, has them have an emotional reveal in the middle and then inexplicably Carol is upset and runs from him (probably a cut scene, but while I understand the intent of the scene, the editing undercuts any emotionality in the character bit)
  6. How does Hal know Carol is kidnapped at the end? How does he find Hector?
  7. We never really get close to Hal as a character. His story arc is muddled and never really follows through; he basically overcomes his fear and self-doubt...because he does? Because Carol believes in him? The ultimate source of his self-doubt - his dad's death - isn't really touched on
  8. A personable villain is more interesting that a CGI creation and ultimately Hector makes a more interesting opponent than Parallax
  9. Why does Abin Sur need a spaceship if all the other Lanterns can travel freely between planets?

That's nine things just off the top of my head. I don't think its a case of not understanding the material; I think the movie makes it easy for people to drop out (and I say this as someone who was entertained by the film).
Last edited by Amentep; June 19th, 2011 at 10:10 PM.