The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 18th, 2011   Mark MacMillan is offline   #81
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

So, basically, "Ryan Reynolds," is what you're saying.
ddf
ADGood View Post
Ryan Reynolds is cocky and care free? (I don't know him personally)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old June 18th, 2011   5andman is offline   #82
5andman
Master Geoffan

This movie projects around 60 million opening weekend. Pretty damn good for people who thought it would bomb.
ddf
Cloud101 View Post
It will be interesting what the worldwide box office is.
Thor hasn't made $200M domestically yet ($175M so far),
but it 'killed it' internationally $260M, so far.

It's perception and expectations, I guess.

Old June 18th, 2011   JME2 is offline   #83
JME2
Geoffan

That blog entry worries me too.

I want the film to be successful. I love Batman and Superman, but I'm sick of the deluge of media projects centered around them. I want the other DC properties to shine.

Old June 18th, 2011   JRM is offline   #84
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

That blog entry worries me too.

I want the film to be successful. I love Batman and Superman, but I'm sick of the deluge of media projects centered around them. I want the other DC properties to shine.
ddf
JME2 View Post
Then they need to figure out how to make movies that appeal to more than just current comic fans ... spend the time to actually figure out how to cross-over to the mass market sensibilities, and accept that it will not be easy - if they can figure out how to make it go viral then they are set. Star Wars did it, even before the internet and created the summer blockbuster - be inovative. If not soon the average viewer, will just become too, "been there, seen that" too care much. And if that happens, it will likely kill the medium.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old June 18th, 2011   Falloutboy is offline   #85
Falloutboy
Homesick at space camp

Well, I for one loved it! It was fun, entertaining and just what I expected a Green Lantern movie to be. All the bad reviews made me very cautious but I am glad to say that I came away from the cinema feeling very pleased with it. If people expect a 'Batman' tone to this story then you are going to see a film about the wrong superhero! Green Lantern hits people with a giant green fist in the comics and guess what? He also does it on screen.

Old June 18th, 2011   Mr.G is offline   #86
Mr.G

I loved it too. Even though I'm a GL fan, it was a good movie. The theatre wasn't full but I was surprised to see ages between 6-65 and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Hopefully this bodes well for the film. I'd hate to see it flop and end the film franchise.

Old June 18th, 2011   pstranger is offline   #87
pstranger

Very fun movie. Worth seeing for any comics fan.

Its not trying to be anything other than a fun, cool, super-hero movie. Taken as that, it's very good.

Old June 18th, 2011   GeraldKeefer is offline   #88
GeraldKeefer
Gabba Gabba Hey!

I'll echo the sentiment that the early negative reviews had me nervous but it was great! My friends that saw it all loved it so this might get good word of mouth carry over into next week.

Also Yahoo user ratings give the film a solid cumulative B+. Was this on the level of Nolan's Batfilms? No but not many films are. But much better than Fantastic Four or Daredevil.

Solid 1st movie. i think the sequel will be even better. Hopefully it happens soon.

Check out my band if you get a chance

Loud, fast, aggressive Rock N Roll

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadenders
Old June 18th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #89
Amentep

I thought it was a fun film; don't really get the complaints about the acting (unless people pre-hate the actors or something).

The biggest problem is it could have used a few extra scenes to dot some i's and cross some t's to some plot elements they put up.

I'll also say this was the biggest audience I've seen a movie with this summer - very surprising to me (although ancedotal so who knows, maybe I live in Green Lantern Fandom Central or smthing).

Old June 18th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #90
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Ryan Reynolds is cocky and care free? (I don't know him personally)
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Don't forget fun-loving. Anyway, in his private life? No idea. In every movie, TV show and public appearance he's ever made? Oh, hell yes.

Old June 18th, 2011   Timekeeper is offline   #91
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

Don't forget fun-loving. Anyway, in his private life? No idea. In every movie, TV show and public appearance he's ever made? Oh, hell yes.
ddf
ADGood View Post
He's been typecast as such. I wouldn't hold it against him, it certainly pays the bills.

Damn, I needed a new signature :P
Old June 18th, 2011   JME2 is offline   #92
JME2
Geoffan

I'll give you more of my thoughts on this after I see the movie tomorrow.

Old June 18th, 2011   SageShinigami is offline   #93
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

I thought it was a fun film; don't really get the complaints about the acting (unless people pre-hate the actors or something).

The biggest problem is it could have used a few extra scenes to dot some i's and cross some t's to some plot elements they put up.

I'll also say this was the biggest audience I've seen a movie with this summer - very surprising to me (although ancedotal so who knows, maybe I live in Green Lantern Fandom Central or smthing).
ddf
Amentep View Post
Then so do I then. I couldn't even get in last night.

Old June 18th, 2011   Scott Mateo is offline   #94
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

ddf
Amentep View Post
Yeah, I couldn't really find much to complain about, but at the same time I couldn't find anything to brag about either. It was ok, nothing spectacular.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old June 18th, 2011   HushedRuin is offline   #95
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

It wasn't a BAD movie, it just wasn't that GOOD. I gave it 3 out of 5 Cups over at RedCup and whole-heartedly agree with Amentep's assessment that it could have used a few extra scenes to "dot some i's and cross some t's". Story felt a little bit all over the place...

Ryan Reynolds did great as Hal IMO, but Peter Saarsgaard brought "creepy" in SPADES to Hector Hammond. VERY pleased with his performance.

A few fun little easter eggs for the fans and a good sprinkling of humor throughout. I liked it, but I'm a fan of comics. Not sure how well this will go over with non-genre fans.

http://www.redcupmag.com/2/post/2011...rn-review.html

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old June 18th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #96
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Just saw it...I actually enjoyed it much more than I thought.

Wasn't fantastic but it was a good superhero movie.

Acting was fine IMO, uniforms were much better than it looked like in the previews or in pics. OA was done well. All in all an enjoyable movie. Very happy it wasn't a flop.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George