The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 17th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #49
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Sigh....sadly, this is how so many people feel that the man makes millions of dollars doing so.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
that's because he keeps on keepin on is all

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 17th, 2011   Saturn Girl is offline   #50
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Sigh....sadly, this is how so many people feel that the man makes millions of dollars doing so.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
He's just That AWESOME. I really hope he still does Deadpool.

I am the one who knocks.
Old June 17th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #51
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

He's just That AWESOME. I really hope he still does Deadpool.
ddf
Saturn Girl View Post
me too...especially if they keep his mouth sewn shut

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 17th, 2011   Mark MacMillan is offline   #52
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

This is going to tank. I always had a horrible feeling it might. Mega disaster about to happen here. I think any chance of a franchise here is gone. I was worried last night when i saw a promo interview with Ryan Reynolds where he was stressing 'the humour' in the character that he had picked up by reading the comics.

Does anyone remember the issue where Hal was funny?

Relentlessly grim, focused, driven, deadly dull at times, but funny? Maybe i missed that run....
ddf
Alan View Post
Read the stuff after GL V.2 #50 (after Carol broke off their engagement and fired Hal)

With no more conflicting responsibilities (no longer having to balance and be torn by his obligations between the GLC and Ferris Aircraft) Hal was given a "care free"/Rick Jones type characterization (where he had fun on the open road and no longer just patrolled space, he took the time to have fun exploring space) by Broome after Marvel's inception.

Also, since shared continuity was kept only to team up books like TB&TB and JLoA, Hal was the one who was always cracking jokes and keeping his cool.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old June 17th, 2011   PeterCool is offline   #53
PeterCool
Pete DiMitri

Okay, saw the film with my kids.

First, Ryan Reynolds is NOT the problem. Nor is Blake Lively. They were actually pretty good in their roles.

Second, the constructs look good.

But, sadly, it's not a terribly good film. I need to put a disclaimer here: I think most superhero movies aren't good. I don't even think Iron Man was all that good, and people seem to be smitten with that film.

But Green Lantern has a terrible narrative flow. They are throwing too much out there, with no real pacing. And, after watching the movie, I don't really understand what purpose Hector Hammond serves except to fill screen time until Parallax gets to Earth.

I've read that Martin Campbell is a very good director. I'm not familiar with most of his work, but I did see Goldeneye. I don't remember being enamored with that film, but I didn't dislike it either. Whatever gifts he may have were not on display in this film. The script is very poor, but ultimately the director has to be the author of the film, and in that regard Campbell failed.

And on the matter of that script, very amateurish. Berlanti, Guggenheim et al should not be writing the next movie if there is going to be one.

Wish I would say it was better. My kids liked it (well, 2 out of my 3 did).

All that said, I'm not convinced that the audience felt the same as the critics did. My impression is that people enjoyed it in the theatre I was in.

"You've got to be smart if you're fooling yourself"

-- Aimee Mann
Old June 17th, 2011   JRM is offline   #54
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Funny because I was going to use this as an example also but didn't. So thanks for posting what it

The general public look to these critics for opinions. The comic fans will see it regardless of what the critics say...it's in our blood. But if the general public does not go to see this because of bad reviews....well this could be in trouble. And if it is does that shelve future DC movies other than Batman and Superman?
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
That was the general view of the Toronto Star reviewer - it would go over well with GL/DC fans but to the average movie goer it would not be that popular - too much set-up not enough action.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old June 17th, 2011   Chris D. is offline   #55
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

I don't know what Warner exec. pissed in every critic's cornflakes but I enjoyed it. It was fun and t he suits and the CGI look fine. The 1230 show was completely sold out. I saw the next one and it was only half full but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

ANd they were nice enough so you dont have to wait thru the full credits to see the last scene

Old June 17th, 2011   PeterCool is offline   #56
PeterCool
Pete DiMitri

I don't know what Warner exec. pissed in every critic's cornflakes but I enjoyed it. It was fun and t he suits and the CGI look fine. The 1230 show was completely sold out. I saw the next one and it was only half full but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

ANd they were nice enough so you dont have to wait thru the full credits to see the last scene
ddf
Chris D. View Post
I think it was three factors:

1 -- Superhero fatigue. The critics are getting tired of superheroes and they are beginning to show it.

2 -- A bridge too far. Green Lantern is the most "comic" movie ever made in the sense that it doesn't attempt to be down to Earth. Even Thor, as a fanastic a concept as it is, was pulled down to Earth. That's basically the Marvel style these days. I don't think critics are able to handle that.

3 -- It's really not a great film. It's okay, maybe 2 to 2 1/2 stars, but it needed to be better because of points 1 and 2.

-- Aimee Mann
Old June 17th, 2011   Chris D. is offline   #57
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

I think it was three factors:

1 -- Superhero fatigue. The critics are getting tired of superheroes and they are beginning to show it.

2 -- A bridge too far. Green Lantern is the most "comic" movie ever made in the sense that it doesn't attempt to be down to Earth. Even Thor, as a fanastic a concept as it is, was pulled down to Earth. That's basically the Marvel style these days. I don't think critics are able to handle that.

3 -- It's really not a great film. It's okay, maybe 2 to 2 1/2 stars, but it needed to be better because of points 1 and 2.
ddf
PeterCool View Post
I thought although at times it was more "cartoony"(although not as much as I was expecting)than other films, they did a good job with it. Thor was Branagh doing Shakespeare, which is fine but all movies dont have to be "serious"

I think they did a good job winking at the audience like the scene with Carol and Hal talking about the mask. I think Reynolds actually did a good job with being a young Hal. Also all the character set up and explaining was good and they actually did a lot of showing and not telling.

So I rather enjoyed it although I went into it a little wary

Old June 17th, 2011   Jake1823 is offline   #58
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

How can we say superhero fatigue when they liked Thor and X-Men?

Where is everybody?
Old June 17th, 2011   PeterCool is offline   #59
PeterCool
Pete DiMitri

How can we say superhero fatigue when they liked Thor and X-Men?
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
They didn't like Thor all that much, but I can tell you that I've seen the phrase "superhero fatigue" in multiple articles (I didn't make it up).

I'm just giving my reasons for why I think the critics are being especially harsh on GL. I don't think the movie is any worse than Thor, but it is getting worse reviews.

-- Aimee Mann
Old June 17th, 2011   darthlucifuge is offline   #60
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

They didn't like Thor all that much
ddf
PeterCool View Post

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old June 17th, 2011   Hamish Campbell is offline   #61
Hamish Campbell
Geoffan

Agree, its a puzzler.

ddf
darthlucifuge View Post

Old June 17th, 2011   E-MAC is offline   #62
E-MAC
Advanced Geoffan

Saw it earlier today with a couple of my buddies and we all loved it. The critics as usual when it comes to any movie nowadays couldn't be more wrong about Green Lantern.

It reminded me of the first Spider-Man in the way that it introduced you to this new hero and world and didn't shy away from the sillyness and embraced it.

Green Lantern is a movie that isn't ashamed of what it is and that's probably why the negativity is coming from critics. It's not going to dumbdown the ridiculous aspects of the movie and try and shape them for mass consumption. This is a fanboys movie and that's probably why me and my friends liked it so much.

Speaking as someone who had alot of questions about the cast and people surrounding the film. I can honestly say i'm very glad to be wrong about everything. Ryan did a very good job as a young and cocky Hal Jordan but also played him with heart and determination. Blake was very good as Carol, I thought she would turn in a Katie Holmes performance but she got Carol perfectly on the screen I was very impressed. Also the writers and director did a good job balancing out the story which had a little bit of everything but just in the right ammounts.

I'm very much looking foward to seeing it again this time in 3D. As a longtime GL fan, this was a dream come true to see my favorite hero on the big screen in a really good movie. Forget Thor and X-Men both were overhyped and overpraised, GL is the best comic book movie of the summer so far. Go see it for yourself and decide and ignore all the negativity and ignorance, you won't regret it.

"If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".
Old June 17th, 2011   JRM is offline   #63
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Saw it earlier today with a couple of my buddies and we all loved it. The critics as usual when it comes to any movie nowadays couldn't be more wrong about Green Lantern.

It reminded me of the first Spider-Man in the way that it introduced you to this new hero and world and didn't shy away from the sillyness and embraced it.

Green Lantern is a movie that isn't ashamed of what it is and that's probably why the negativity is coming from critics. It's not going to dumbdown the ridiculous aspects of the movie and try and shape them for mass consumption. This is a fanboys movie and that's probably why me and my friends liked it so much.

Speaking as someone who had alot of questions about the cast and people surrounding the film. I can honestly say i'm very glad to be wrong about everything. Ryan did a very good job as a young and cocky Hal Jordan but also played him with heart and determination. Blake was very good as Carol, I thought she would turn in a Katie Holmes performance but she got Carol perfectly on the screen I was very impressed. Also the writers and director did a good job balancing out the story which had a little bit of everything but just in the right ammounts.

I'm very much looking foward to seeing it again this time in 3D. As a longtime GL fan, this was a dream come true to see my favorite hero on the big screen in a really good movie. Forget Thor and X-Men both were overhyped and overpraised, GL is the best comic book movie of the summer so far. Go see it for yourself and decide and ignore all the negativity and ignorance, you won't regret it.
ddf
E-MAC View Post
Humm - my assessment is that the Toronto Star's point that GL fans will love this film seems to be mostly on track; however, how will it play with the larger - general comic movie fan - especially those more tied to Marvel and then even more importantly, those who care squat about comics and just want a movie that they did enjoy - will it capture those hearts and minds - that is the big question? And we'll likely have a glimmer of the answer by early next week and have it confirmed one way or the other a few weeks down the road.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old June 17th, 2011   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #64
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Green Lantern was...freaking awesome! I don't know what film all these critics saw but it sure wasn't the movie I watched. Green Lantern was fun as hell. Humor, action, great character moments. I'm going again on fathers day and I expect to see another time after that.

Whew! So happy these critics were wrong. This was all I hoped it would be.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.