The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 17th, 2011   married guy is offline   #65
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

I'm taking the kids when it opens her in Oz.
My eldest in particular is really looking forward to it.

I like the fact that they have made an effort to make this a movie to take the kids to. Dark Knight isn't a family movie, nor should it be really, but Green Lantern has the capacity to be a fun concept. A magic ring! Embrace the child wish fulfillment and run with it I say!

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old June 17th, 2011   Alan is offline   #66
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Very pleased to see positive fan reports. That is encouraging. As is the fact they seem to be very faithful. I've read other UK critic reviews which also stress the ..."what, another superhero film?" line, so i do think as the third one its getting a slagging anyway (they pretty much all thought Thor was better than they were expecting). Imagine what they are going to think Of Captain America!

I still think the lack of knowledge about the character generally (there is very little known about him other than by fans, as opposed to Batman who seems to be part of the fabric of society now) is going to hamstring the movie's chances. I don't see it breaking even. Having said that Hangover 2 was slated by critics and was still huge at the box office. There is hope yet...

Old June 17th, 2011   JeffCapo is offline   #67
JeffCapo

My daughter and I saw the movie tonight! I thought it was well done and followed the GL mythos quite well! Stay after the credits for an extra scene!

Jeffrey T. Capo
Pro Wrestling Referee 1993-2008
4 Time NWA Referee of the Year 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Old June 17th, 2011   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #68
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I'd even go as far to say I like movie Hal Jordan more than the comic version. Great flick.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old June 17th, 2011   DarkeSword is offline   #69
DarkeSword
Neo Geoffan

Just got back an hour ago. This is very much a GL fan's movie. I loved it.

My only issue with this movie was that the soundtrack lacked a really strong melodic theme for Hal. A lot of the score was really generic orchestral and rock stuff; effective but ultimately forgettable. Maybe it's because I'm a composer myself, but I've always felt that a superhero should have a really strong, recognizable musical theme. Superman and Batman have theirs (several actually, if you count Shirley Walker's fantastic work on the animated series), and I was really disappointed that the Green Lantern didn't get his.

Come on DC! You had a fun script, a great cast, and some awesome special effects. Now let's get an awesome soundtrack.

Old June 17th, 2011   strathaar is offline   #70
strathaar
Neo Geoffan

The dude at IGN is an idiot. The film was good. And don't ever compare GL to those that Peter Cool did. Or I shall compare you to Simple Jack! Lol

Old June 18th, 2011   Mark MacMillan is offline   #71
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I'd even go as far to say I like movie Hal Jordan more than the comic version. Great flick.
ddf
Bagged & Boarded View Post
Ummm... they're not any different to me (Geoff's Hal is older and in a different place, same with Gerard Jones' Hal)

Movie Hal seems more like Broome's "care free" fun loving young Hal and Priest's cocky young Hal in ED mixed together.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old June 18th, 2011   flashsuper is offline   #72
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

Just got back an hour ago. This is very much a GL fan's movie. I loved it.

My only issue with this movie was that the soundtrack lacked a really strong melodic theme for Hal. A lot of the score was really generic orchestral and rock stuff; effective but ultimately forgettable. Maybe it's because I'm a composer myself, but I've always felt that a superhero should have a really strong, recognizable musical theme. Superman and Batman have theirs (several actually, if you count Shirley Walker's fantastic work on the animated series), and I was really disappointed that the Green Lantern didn't get his.

Come on DC! You had a fun script, a great cast, and some awesome special effects. Now let's get an awesome soundtrack.
ddf
DarkeSword View Post
I only quoted you to point out your issue with the soundtrack. Not that I have an issue with your issue, I don't really care about the soundtrack myself. What I DID notice during musical parts of the movie is that I could hear a similar sounding tone like that from the Christopher Reeves Superman movies. If you listen closely during ceratin parts you can hear the very beginning of the superman theme music.

Anyways, back to the movie. I loved it. Great movie. It was an origin movie for crying out loud. You can't expect no holds barred action from the get go. You have to establish who he is. I didn't have a problem with it at all. I heard people saying it stuck closely to the GL mythos as well (although they didn't say mythos. The town I live in, well, people don't usually have that in their vocabulary.) Again, great movie.

Not sure what the problem is with the humor aspect like some people said. Back in the day, Hal Jordan was a hot shot test pilot, and I think the word hot shot rhymes with smart ass. So, what's the big deal?

I have had a rebirth.
Old June 18th, 2011   slevin is offline   #73
slevin
Half animal, part party m

I apologies to anyone who enjoyed the movie before hand.

I'm not sure what to to say other then Green Lantern was ALL KINDS of bad. I went in not reading any reviews so as to not have a presupposed opinion of it. I'm a huge GL fan too so its not like I don't like the character either. It's just there was not ONE redeeming quality to it. I thought I was watching an SYFY original motion picture. I wanted to walk out within the first half hour, then half way through it then any time Blake Lively came on screen. She is a HORRIBLE actress, she very much reminded me Megan Fox. Ryan Renolds was OK when he was out of the GL costume but every time he put it on it just looked to weird. Very unconvincing. Basically what I'm saying is other then Mark Strong/Sinistro(barely) the acting was pretty bad.

The CGI in my opinion pretty bad too. It seemed they were in front of a green screen the whole time.

The story was very generic and very rushed. All the battles were very anti-climactic and not very entertaining. At all. This movie was very much so for GL fans

the man with no name
Old June 18th, 2011   SmilingKnight is offline   #74
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

The general public look to these critics for opinions. The comic fans will see it regardless of what the critics say...it's in our blood. But if the general public does not go to see this because of bad reviews....well this could be in trouble. And if it is does that shelve future DC movies other than Batman and Superman?
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
The IGN review is openly hostile at this movie for being bad because he is sure that it has killed any chance of a Flash movie

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron
Old June 18th, 2011   thunderdude is offline   #75
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

I really liked this.Ryan Reynolds totally owned as Hal as did Mark Strong as Sinestro. Blake Lively? Look she is not going to win an Academy Award, but She's much better than Katie Holmes or Kate Bosworth were. Kilowog was awesome too! IGN is flat wrong on this one.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old June 18th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #76
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Movie Hal seems more like Broome's "care free" fun loving young Hal and Priest's cocky young Hal in ED mixed together.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
So, basically, "Ryan Reynolds," is what you're saying.

Old June 18th, 2011   thunderdude is offline   #77
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

Straharr is absoulutely right!

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old June 18th, 2011   Justin is offline   #78
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

The dude at IGN is an idiot.
ddf
strathaar View Post
That's kind of an ad hominem argument.

He doesn't seem like an idiot to me--seems like he knows his stuff.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old June 18th, 2011   Cloud101 is offline   #79
Cloud101

This movie projects around 60 million opening weekend. Pretty damn good for people who thought it would bomb.

Old June 18th, 2011   Justin is offline   #80
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

This movie projects around 60 million opening weekend. Pretty damn good for people who thought it would bomb.
ddf
Cloud101 View Post
That's not an indication of whether it will bomb. The real test is always how much of a drop happens on the second weekend. Any drop-out greater than half the original weekend number is considered bad.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais