The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 16th, 2011   Greg Waite is offline   #33
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

I'm one of the guys who won't be seeing it tomorrow. I can wait til it comes on DVD.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old June 16th, 2011   Mackaybear is offline   #34
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I'm one of the guys who won't be seeing it tomorrow. I can wait til it comes on DVD.
ddf
Greg Waite View Post
Same here...

I won't go to theaters anymore, and my partner is partially deaf, No closed captioning for movies, which seems stupid to me.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old June 17th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #35
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

This.

If you need to see an example of what happens when a movie is made "for the fans", see Watchmen. I personally loved it, and know quite a few "fans of the comic" who did as well. But the general public opinion was that the movie was crap.
ddf
J-Liv View Post
Funny because I was going to use this as an example also but didn't. So thanks for posting what it

The general public look to these critics for opinions. The comic fans will see it regardless of what the critics say...it's in our blood. But if the general public does not go to see this because of bad reviews....well this could be in trouble. And if it is does that shelve future DC movies other than Batman and Superman?

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 17th, 2011   Simon DelMonte is offline   #36
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

To my surprise, Ebert sort of liked it. He gave it two and half stars, same as First Class, but seemed to like that one more. He certainly likes GL more than Thor, which puts him in a small group. And he acknowledges that he is not its true audience.

The question remains, will this film find a fanbase beyond the GL hardcore? I think it won't. And I think DC might be in trouble.

Simon DelMonte
Old June 17th, 2011   Ben Ronning is offline   #37
Ben Ronning
Neo Geoffan

At least that says something, doesn't it?

"It may take Darkseid three billion voices to command my surrender, but I only need one to say: 'No!'"
Old June 17th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #38
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Gosh, even the good reviews are not stellar. They contain the following terms:

" it's so openly childish.

"Faithful to the comics almost to its detriment, "Green Lantern" is a two hour film that would have been much better at ninety minutes. "

"Yet we both left underwhelmed compared with our expectations – feeling that while Green Lantern could have been worse, it might also have been much better."

"Short on story but visually entertaining, "

"It's unremittingly average, high-caloric and indigestible junk food for the restlessly stupefied. "

""Green Lantern" is purely a popcorn movie for 12-year-olds,"

"it works in fits and starts as its disparate parts go in and out of effectiveness,"

"no special feel for the material at hand.
"

And...these are from the POSITIVE reviews....Wowzers!

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 17th, 2011   Alan is offline   #39
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

This is going to tank. I always had a horrible feeling it might. Mega disaster about to happen here. I think any chance of a franchise here is gone. I was worried last night when i saw a promo interview with Ryan Reynolds where he was stressing 'the humour' in the character that he had picked up by reading the comics.

Does anyone remember the issue where Hal was funny?

Relentlessly grim, focused, driven, deadly dull at times, but funny? Maybe i missed that run....

Old June 17th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #40
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

This is going to tank. I always had a horrible feeling it might. Mega disaster about to happen here. I think any chance of a franchise here is gone. I was worried last night when i saw a promo interview with Ryan Reynolds where he was stressing 'the humour' in the character that he had picked up by reading the comics.

Relentlessly grim, focused, driven, deadly dull at times, but funny? Maybe i missed that run....
ddf
Alan View Post
I remember reading an issue in the library of....was it Infinite Crisis? where Hal, Booster, Ollie, Bruce and a bunch of others were heading off to some satellite and Ollie was commenting about how they were in dire straits and Hal was whistling Take Me Out To The Ballgame....seemed okay to me then...

Old June 17th, 2011   darthlucifuge is offline   #41
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

I really am not looking forward to seeing this anymore...

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old June 17th, 2011   smallville is offline   #42
smallville
YoungJustus is remembered

ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Same.

"I Will Have a Wolverine FREE X-Book. In Fact, It Will Be Called 'No Wolverine.'-Whedon
Old June 17th, 2011   Capt America1941 is offline   #43
Capt America1941
Advanced Geoffan

ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm going tomorrow morning anyway and praying for the best.

fight the power !!!!! don't register!!!
Old June 17th, 2011   Atom is offline   #44
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

ddf
Alan View Post
Read any of the 60's Green Lantern books and you'll find Hal cracking jokes and making ring constructs that were goofy and often were jokes intended to create a laugh. Sure, he had a lot of baseball constructs (ball bat/mitt/ball) that he used frequently, but I seem to remember a lot of humor in that decade of books. But switch to the 70's, and you had the introduction of the grim/gritty reality when they combined GL/GA and made the book a whole lot more serious. GL still tried to be funny, but with GA throwing in social commentary at every possible moment, his humor got drowned out in the seriousness of it all.

So it may depend on which era of GL you were reading.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old June 17th, 2011   rpi is offline   #45
rpi
Geoffan

The movie doesn't really know if it wants to be an intro movie or an action movie and doesn't really do either as a result. Great casting, except for Blake Lively, but iffy CGI sometimes and the big finale feels pretty forced. When it gets it right, IE what Hal does with the ring or Hector Hammond, it gets it very right, though.

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration
And sing about the grief
Old June 17th, 2011   5andman is offline   #46
5andman
Master Geoffan

To my surprise, Ebert sort of liked it. He gave it two and half stars ...
ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
Just saw it.
I agree with Ebert's rating.
It was just a fun popcorn flick.

Old June 17th, 2011   Saturn Girl is offline   #47
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Reviews are disappointing, but I'm going to have some drinks with friends beforehand, have some fun and not expect anything but a goofy summer movie and I'm sure I'll still have a great time. Thor wasn't the best superhero movie I've ever seen, but it was enjoyable.

Plus I just love Ryan Reynolds, so I'd be happy watching him read the phone book for 90 minutes.

I am the one who knocks.
Old June 17th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #48
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Plus I just love Ryan Reynolds, so I'd be happy watching him read the phone book for 90 minutes.
ddf
Saturn Girl View Post
Sigh....sadly, this is how so many people feel that the man makes millions of dollars doing so.