The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 15th, 2011   Marvelman ver.02 is offline   #1
Marvelman ver.02
Neo Geoffan

Default Green Lantern movie reviews are now up!

Oooohhh... this does not bode well:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_lantern/

Even the positive reviews are very lukewarm in their recommendation. I hope this sampling is not representative of critics as a whole. But if the movie maintains a rating of only 28% fresh, even I am likely to stay away. It doesn't matter how loyal the movie is to the comic; a bad movie is still a bad movie. What a waste.

Old June 15th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #2
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Golly, I hate to be the one to Rain on your parade, but.....

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84785

http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/show...70#post1704570

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 15th, 2011   chrisbenes is offline   #3
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

can't say I'm surprised. Still seeing it this weekend to judge for myself but I am not expecting much. I just do not see how this is going to come close to Thor or X-Men: First Class

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 15th, 2011   Talon Warlock is offline   #4
Talon Warlock
Lantern Warrior

Default IGN Green Lantern Movie Review

http://movies.ign.com/articles/117/1175316p1.html

Please realize that there are a couple spoilers in their review, and my thoughts below as well.

Hal Jordan has always been my favorite character, and I have been waiting so long for a movie for Hal and GL. I have been so excited until the last week or 2.

SPOILERS...

After reading the review, I am so sad, angry, and frustrated. Apparently they are on OA for a very brief time and most of it takes place on Earth. Not a great start as I loathe any Hector Hammond/Amanda Waller/Blake Lively scenes, since they will be dull.

And apparently the GLC do not fight with Hal or do much, other than being there to show there is more than 1 GL.

So the epic space opera that this movie is supposed to be- may not be true at all.

Someone peruse this review and tell me if I am misjudging things.

I feel so passionate about Hal that I wonder if I should postpone seeing the movie Friday since if it is bad it will just infuriate me.

Feeling a little depressed...

"Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my Power- Green Lantern's Light!"
Old June 15th, 2011   PeterCool is offline   #5
PeterCool
Pete DiMitri

I feel your pain Talon.

I'll see the movie, but the preponderance of bad reviews does give me pause. Been waiting to see this movie since I was about 9 years old or so.

I may enjoy it anyway, but I'm a Hal/GL geek and so far it doesn't look like it's going over well.

If it is a bad movie, then that is a shame, because really it shouldn't be. There's enough material to make a good film.

Lots of doubts have been put out there about Ryan Reynolds. I'll wait until I see it but the reviews don't dispel those doubts.

"You've got to be smart if you're fooling yourself"

-- Aimee Mann
Old June 15th, 2011   Talon Warlock is offline   #6
Talon Warlock
Lantern Warrior

I feel your pain Talon.

I'll see the movie, but the preponderance of bad reviews does give me pause. Been waiting to see this movie since I was about 9 years old or so.

I may enjoy it anyway, but I'm a Hal/GL geek and so far it doesn't look like it's going over well.

If it is a bad movie, then that is a shame, because really it shouldn't be. There's enough material to make a good film.

Lots of doubts have been put out there about Ryan Reynolds. I'll wait until I see it but the reviews don't dispel those doubts.
ddf
PeterCool View Post

Hey there, Peter. I hear you. It could have been a truly unique movie experience. I haven't truly been mesmerized by movies since the Lord of the Rings.

I guess I will just keep reading my GL comics and try to get by.

My wife keeps telling me to go see the movie Friday- I probably will. But I just know that the movie will miss the mark and not convey how great a GL movie could be. I am not a fan of simplistic movies that pander to the general public.

I just get consumed by anger- if the movie is that bad, I will probably spend all night Friday and half of Saturday depressed about it.

I guess in the end, I realize that some people don't have the vision to truly comprehend how to make a great story come to life. I wish we could be directors, Peter...

Old June 15th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #7
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I just get consumed by anger- if the movie is that bad, I will probably spend all night Friday and half of Saturday depressed about it.
ddf
Talon Warlock View Post

Golly, gee...turn that frown upside down. Remember, it's a super-hero movie. Good, bad or Green Lantern, that's all it will ever be.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 15th, 2011   Talon Warlock is offline   #8
Talon Warlock
Lantern Warrior

Golly, gee...turn that frown upside down. Remember, it's a super-hero movie. Good, bad or Green Lantern, that's all it will ever be.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
LOL. TJ, I will try to keep it all in perspective. Thanks. Just had high hopes. But I don't have any control regarding how these movies are made. Wish I did

Old June 15th, 2011   therealssjlink is offline   #9
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

I expected this from the first trailer alone....but I have free tickets so I'll see it anyways in the theatre.

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old June 15th, 2011   atom t. kirk is offline   #10
atom t. kirk
Neo Geoffan

read a lot of bad reviews...

don't matter. still gonna see it.

Don't believe everything you read.
I do not even believe i just wrote this...
Old June 15th, 2011   Thrillho is offline   #11
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

Eh, we'll see.

I don't think it's a mistake to downplay the alien GLs in favor of an earthly setting; as cool as the aliens are, any superhero movie has to make you connect to the hero first and foremost. Think of every good superhero movie you've ever seen; in each of them, they go out of their way to make you feel something for the hero. This even applies to sequels. Now think about the superhero movies that didn't work ... do they just sort of assume that the audience will go for the hero and jump right in?

Basically, it's the difference between "Star Wars" and "The Phantom Menace". One of them is an enjoyable movie-viewing experience; the other is only good for entertaining hyperactive six-year-olds.

So anyway, the problems with this movie aren't going to be because of the brevity of the Oa scenes.

Old June 15th, 2011   Trespasser is offline   #12
Trespasser
Aw crap!

I'm seeing it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it I just don't think it'll cater to the general movie going audience the way they want it too.

It does seem that Ryan Reynolds performance is well regarded as well as the other actors, it's the story that everyone has a problem with.

I've got the pistols so I'll keep the pesos. That seems fair.
Old June 15th, 2011   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #13
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Ouch! That review makes me sad. Hope he is wrong.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old June 15th, 2011   PeterCool is offline   #14
PeterCool
Pete DiMitri

I'm seeing it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it I just don't think it'll cater to the general movie going audience the way they want it too.

It does seem that Ryan Reynolds performance is well regarded as well as the other actors, it's the story that everyone has a problem with.
ddf
Trespasser View Post
And on that note, the same writers are working on Green Lantern 2 and the Flash...

-- Aimee Mann
Old June 15th, 2011   GDS-1 is offline   #15
GDS-1
Neo Geoffan

well according to this,http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1556-green-lantern-cost-300-million-and-you-know-what-that-means, the powers that be are starting to sweat.

Now, add to what I said a while back...

Old June 15th, 2011   PeterCool is offline   #16
PeterCool
Pete DiMitri

well according to this,http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/1556-green-lantern-cost-300-million-and-you-know-what-that-means, the powers that be are starting to sweat.

Now, add to what I said a while back...
ddf
GDS-1 View Post
That's an interesting article and it speaks to a possible meltdown of epic proportions.

So, the question is, how could this happen? Geoff is chief creative officer. Isn't it his job to make sure that these translations into other media work? If this movie is as bad as all these reviews indicate, there's no way that it will make the kind of numbers that Iron Man did. It may end up as a significant loss of money.

I'm just befuddled. How could DC Entertainment drop the ball yet again with so much on the line?

-- Aimee Mann