The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old May 18th, 2007   Brian LaBelle is offline   #17
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

his origin was in the old cartoon as well back inthe 80's
ddf
Old School View Post
Keldor was mentioned briefly in the "Powers of Grayskull" comic and hinted at being a villain but the in the old series (cartoons, Mattel comics, DC Comics & Star Comics.) there is no mention of Randor being responsible for Keldor's accident which lead to him becoming Skeletor.

Skeletor and Hordak were partners in the 80's cartoon before Skeletor banished him to Etheria. In the new series, Hordak is quite clearly the master and Skeletor the flunky.

Old May 18th, 2007   booyah is offline   #18
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

Whta's up with remaking already awesome Dolph Lundgren movies??? HUH!!!??? HUH???!!!!

Seriously though, I hope this is good, even though I really did enjoy the original.
But Pitt??? NO thanks.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old May 18th, 2007   Piper is offline   #19
Piper
Master Geoffan

I don't know why, but I could have swore that the show said Keldor was Randor's brother. Where the heck did I pull that tidbit from?

I absolutely loved the new cartoon. Last year I actually started a thread here on the Bloc to tell people that Boomerang had started showing reruns of it around 11:30, but they didn't keep doing it for very long.

Editted to add a quote from Wiki

In the new continuity of the 2002 animated series by Mike Young Productions (see below), Skeletor’s original name is definitely Keldor, his appearance as such is shown and his exploits partially depicted. However it seems unlikely that he would be related to Randor in this continuity, as he has Skeletor's blue skin and some other slightly nonhuman features whilst still Keldor. In an he-man.org interview with one of producers of the 2002 series, it is revealed that Keldor is the half brother of Randor; they have different mothers.
ddf
I must have read it on He-Man.org as I occasionally visited that site when the new show was out. The Wiki entry mentions the possibility of Randor and Keldor being related a few other times as well.
Last edited by Piper; May 18th, 2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Wiki search

The Flash: Fastest Man Alive #12
(...3x2 (9yz)4a)
Old May 18th, 2007   starks is offline   #20
starks
Geoffan

This could be great if done right. Brad Pitt? No.

Old May 19th, 2007   Marky is offline   #21
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

I don't know why, but I could have swore that the show said Keldor was Randor's brother. Where the heck did I pull that tidbit from?

I absolutely loved the new cartoon. Last year I actually started a thread here on the Bloc to tell people that Boomerang had started showing reruns of it around 11:30, but they didn't keep doing it for very long.

Editted to add a quote from Wiki

I must have read it on He-Man.org as I occasionally visited that site when the new show was out. The Wiki entry mentions the possibility of Randor and Keldor being related a few other times as well.
ddf
Piper View Post
Keldor was Randor's lost brother in the comics that continued after the 80's cartoon. It was implied heavily that Skeletor was Keldor but never explicitly stated although the writer said that that was the case.

Heroes Reborn 2: V Neck Boogaloo!
Old June 2nd, 2008   Director of Everything is offline   #22
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Here's a script review for Grayskull: Masters of the Universe and it sounds pretty badass!

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old June 2nd, 2008   TheRay is offline   #23
TheRay
Supreme Geoffan

Here's a script review for Grayskull: Masters of the Universe and it sounds pretty badass!
ddf
Director of Everything View Post
No kidding! Wow!
I'm gonna just cross my fingers that the high and mighty crazy multi-conglomerate Hollywood machine doesn't find a way to totally screw this up!

http://www.facebook.com/daniel.penland
Xbox Live ID: TrumpetDan
Playstation Network ID: TheRay3
Steam: TrumpetDan
Old June 3rd, 2008   King Krypton is offline   #24
King Krypton
Neo Geoffan

From that review:

I got some bad news folks, unfortunately, pertaining to HE-MAN, since Silver took a hit with Speed Racer, Warners has been unresponsive to Silver projects.
ddf
It's just as well. Even if the movie was half-decent, fanboys would have torn it to shreds for the silliest reasons. (My only problem with it was SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
King Randor's murder at Skeletor's hand propelling Prince Adam to become He-Man

.) So if this script gets benched, no harm no foul. At least they gave it their best try. There's no shame in that.

I love hot chicks in spandex.

Check out my novel Wounds of the Heart at Amazon.com!
Old June 3rd, 2008   Drink is offline   #25
Drink
Official Scofflaw

I can only ask-- why?

Seriously, there was a cartoon and the toy line about 5 years ago or something. If they were going to do a movie, then would have been the time, when kids were still interested in him.

5 years is a very long time for the kid toy and cartoon markets.

Old June 3rd, 2008   King Krypton is offline   #26
King Krypton
Neo Geoffan

I can only ask-- why?

Seriously, there was a cartoon and the toy line about 5 years ago or something. If they were going to do a movie, then would have been the time, when kids were still interested in him.

ddf
Drink View Post
From the sound of things, WB's not hot on going thru with it, so there's nothing to worry about.

Old June 4th, 2008   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #27
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

Brook Langton as Teela please.

Old June 4th, 2008   Devlyn16 is offline   #28
Devlyn16
CODA

I don't know I think 5 years is just long enough for the toy's target market to mature thus bringing in a whole other batch of 5- 12 yearolds.

I like what I rea dabout the script as well saving the fact it seemed as though Adam wouldn't magically transform to HE man but would Build himself into He-man.

No mention was made if Adam's Motehr was still an astronaut from Earth. I seem to recall she was from reading one of the comic inserts from within the toys

Is it wrong to Quote the Devil if what he is saying is true?
Old June 5th, 2008   King Krypton is offline   #29
King Krypton
Neo Geoffan

I like what I rea dabout the script as well saving the fact it seemed as though Adam wouldn't magically transform to HE man but would Build himself into He-man.
ddf
Devlyn16 View Post
He still needs the sword to become He-Man. The training seems more a way to prepare him to bearing that kind of power. Besides, he can't "build" himself to become a Superman/Luke Skywalker/King Arthur hybrid. He's still just an ordinary man without the sword.

No mention was made if Adam's Motehr was still an astronaut from Earth. I seem to recall she was from reading one of the comic inserts from within the toys
ddf
In Filmation, she was. In MYP's cartoon from a few years back, she was Eternian. It's not an important detail.

Old June 5th, 2008   starks is offline   #30
starks
Geoffan

Some parts I like, but as a whole I don't care for this potential script.

Old June 6th, 2008   Devlyn16 is offline   #31
Devlyn16
CODA

He still needs the sword to become He-Man. The training seems more a way to prepare him to bearing that kind of power. Besides, he can't "build" himself to become a Superman/Luke Skywalker/King Arthur hybrid. He's still just an ordinary man without the sword.
ddf
King Krypton View Post
I don't know why but for some reason it sounded to me like Conan at the wheel. Adam builds himself Physically into He-man. He would still need the power of the sword, but there would be no change from adam to he-man & back again.

Once Adam becomes all Schwarzeneggered he isn't going to go back to slim lean Adam. No secret identity.

Is it wrong to Quote the Devil if what he is saying is true?
Old June 6th, 2008   Jay West is offline   #32
Jay West
Advanced Geoffan

I can only ask-- why?

ddf
Drink View Post
That really doesn't matter that much. It's a nostalgia thing and I doubt if they still go ahead with it the relaunch of the property in the early mid 2000's will even be mentioned that much. That relaunch was so minor I don't think it even registers. It'll all be about the 80's version.

Similar on a much smaller scale to the recent very popular relaunch of GI Joe action figures in late 2007. The relaunch was all about the little guys from the 80's and milking nostalgia. The fact that GI Joe had a mildly succesfull toy run from 2002-2006 was sorta ignored. They relaunched a property in less than a year after it has seemingly "died." And their marketing push acted like a Joe hadn't been made since 1982!

In fact Mattel is using Hasbro's model of taping into the nostalgia factor and relaunching He-Man action figures as a collectors line for adults just like GI Joe is now.

As long as the movie is good and taps into the nostalgia of when it was most popular it will be fine. Good being the key adjective though. Granted my above example is for a toy and not a movie, but I think similar marketing strategies apply.
Just my 2 cents.