The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 26th, 2008   Jay West is offline   #161
Jay West
Advanced Geoffan

No question just shameless sucking up. Didn't realize you were writing this. I love the Red Robin design and picked it up b/c of that and seeing your name was a bonus. Your New Warriors is one of my all time favorites. I wish Marvel would give us Trades!!! Anyway great comic and I can't wait until next issue.

Old November 4th, 2008   michealdark is offline   #162
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Fabian, what's the news on Newsarama mean for you, your future with DC, and your plans for Steph, Tim, Anarky, and the other characters?

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old November 4th, 2008   Mill4rd is offline   #163
Mill4rd
persona non grata

Yeah Fabian any news if you're still writing if they reboot the books?

Old November 4th, 2008   michealdark is offline   #164
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Yeah, I really don't want to see you out of work. And I don't want Steph left without a home either, because I'm scared they'll just kill her off again.

RIP Tara
Old November 4th, 2008   SageShinigami is offline   #165
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

I'm sure he's still involved in what's going down...but I would like to ask if he's got any idea when DC's going to tell us what they're replacing all these canceled books with.

Jumping in Headfirst - My blog, where I attempt to not suck at writing. Media stuff. Not so much about my personal life.
Old December 15th, 2008   uzumerid is offline   #166
uzumerid

According to this, between Azrael and the Gotham Gazette oneshots, it sounds like Nicieza's still pretty involved with the Batbooks.

Is it just me, or does Azrael's description sound a lot like the Third Ghost of Batman? He's certainly ganking the Suit of Sorrows from that Tec issue and RORAG.

Old December 15th, 2008   MattDiCarlo is offline   #167
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I'm sure he's still involved in what's going down...but I would like to ask if he's got any idea when DC's going to tell us what they're replacing all these canceled books with.
ddf
SageShinigami View Post
Gambit and the X-Ternals, naturally.

Old December 17th, 2008   Raydawggie is offline   #168
Raydawggie
Neo Geoffan

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Fabian, can you tell us why you decided not to use the original Anarky as your villain, but to put the General in the costume instead?

And are there any actual future plans for Lonnie Machin?

Supergirl > everything

Listen to the Rabbitt Stew, featuring Raydawggie's Comics Countdown!

http://rabbittstew.libsyn.com/
Old December 18th, 2008   FabianNicieza is offline   #169
FabianNicieza
professional

SPOILERS

The decision to replace Lonnie as Anarky wasn't done without thought. The story and the title's situation called for a very primitive definition of the term Anarky in my desire to leave the book having established the notion of "Robin's Joker."

I thought the concept of Anarky, applied in a visceral, immature fashion, would make an excellent counterpoint to Robin's ordered methodical thinking.

Since Lonnie is too smart to be immature and NOT a "villain," I wanted Anarky, but it couldn't be Lonnie without compromising who he is as a character.

Conversely, from his original inception, I always felt the General as a character had the most potential to grow up to become "Robin's Joker."

So, as a writer, you manipulate things in such a way that get you what
you need for the story, the character and the longterm thinking of the book (I know, it's cancelled, I still think longterm).

BUT... you want to respect the creative work done before, so I wanted Lonnie in the book, just in a condition that prevents him from stopping Ulysses, but not in a condition that prevents him from ever "finding his way back" should a future writer want to go that way. I mean, he got shot in the head, he's paralyzed and catatonic and hooked up to hi-tech machines -- ANYONE can come back from that in comics! :-)

You try to have your cake and eat it, too, but you also set the table for future writers to feast off of as best you can.

The General makes a more viable Anarky for the current needs of the Robin status quo and Lonnie can become a viable presence in his original "side identity" as MoneySpider, an electronic ghost.

One can prove a physical opposition to Robin (Ulysses as Anarky), the other an intellectual one (Lonnie as MoneySpider).

I knew it would piss off some longtime Anarky fans, but conversely, he hadn't been used in the DCU for a VERY long time (as had Ulysses) and was a VERY hard character to use easily because of the complexity of his beliefs, so if I didn't do this, two good characters could have lain dormant.

Now, I feel there are clearly defined ways you can use both Ulysses and Lonnie.

Feel free to cut and paste on other sites, since people are asking the question and I'm too tired to reply on every site. :-)

-- fabian
Last edited by FabianNicieza; December 18th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.

Old December 18th, 2008   stringcheese is offline   #170
stringcheese
The BLÆRG Horseman

Regardless of the whole Anarky/General hooplah, I really enjoyed this issue Fabian. With now the inclination that Tim Drake is still going to have is own book after Robin ends, are you going to be writing the Red Robin series?

"The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles..."

-Catch 33
Old December 18th, 2008   michealdark is offline   #171
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

SPOILERS

The decision to replace Lonnie as Anarky wasn't done without thought. The story and the title's situation called for a very primitive definition of the term Anarky in my desire to leave the book having established the notion of "Robin's Joker."

I thought the concept of Anarky, applied in a visceral, immature fashion, would make an excellent counterpoint to Robin's ordered methodical thinking.

Since Lonnie is too smart to be immature and NOT a "villain," I wanted Anarky, but it couldn't be Lonnie without compromising who he is as a character.

Conversely, from his original inception, I always felt the General as a character had the most potential to grow up to become "Robin's Joker."

So, as a writer, you manipulate things in such a way that get you what
you need for the story, the character and the longterm thinking of the book (I know, it's cancelled, I still think longterm).

BUT... you want to respect the creative work done before, so I wanted Lonnie in the book, just in a condition that prevents him from stopping Ulysses, but not in a condition that prevents him from ever "finding his way back" should a future writer want to go that way. I mean, he got shot in the head, he's paralyzed and catatonic and hooked up to hi-tech machines -- ANYONE can come back from that in comics! :-)

You try to have your cake and eat it, too, but you also set the table for future writers to feast off of as best you can.

The General makes a more viable Anarky for the current needs of the Robin status quo and Lonnie can become a viable presence in his original "side identity" as MoneySpider, an electronic ghost.

One can prove a physical opposition to Robin (Ulysses as Anarky), the other an intellectual one (Lonnie as MoneySpider).

I knew it would piss off some longtime Anarky fans, but conversely, he hadn't been used in the DCU for a VERY long time (as had Ulysses) and was a VERY hard character to use easily because of the complexity of his beliefs, so if I didn't do this, two good characters could have lain dormant.

Now, I feel there are clearly defined ways you can use both Ulysses and Lonnie.

Feel free to cut and paste on other sites, since people are asking the question and I'm too tired to reply on every site. :-)

-- fabian
ddf
FabianNicieza View Post
Actually, I understand the thinking, and since I've only had a periphery knowledge of the characters since I only got back into comics a few years ago, I didn't really mind. I understand how longtem fans would though. I know as a writer you can never please everyone, just hope for a solution that people can hopefully understand and accept.

RIP Tara
Old December 18th, 2008   Raydawggie is offline   #172
Raydawggie
Neo Geoffan

Thanks, Fabian. I really appreciate the answer.

This is a character I've always been a huge fan of, and I appreciate that, at least, you didn't kill him or do anything that really can't be reversed.

I'm hoping General!Anarky meets an unpleasant end, though.

Supergirl > everything

Listen to the Rabbitt Stew, featuring Raydawggie's Comics Countdown!

http://rabbittstew.libsyn.com/
Old December 29th, 2008   Jake1823 is offline   #173
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Didn't know you were DC exclusive. Congrats.

Where is everybody?
Old December 29th, 2008   Eric Q is offline   #174
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Congrats Fabian!!!

Looking forward to checking out your DC work.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old December 29th, 2008   MattDiCarlo is offline   #175
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

Congrats on the exclusive. Now get yourself on an ongoing already!

Old December 29th, 2008   FabianNicieza is offline   #176
FabianNicieza
professional

I've been exclusive for a while now, the contract just rolled over with the new year, that's all. But thanks for the good vibes anyway!

-- fabian