The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 6th, 2007   Danjester is offline   #1
Danjester
Batman-Wannabe Horseman

Default 52 Week 40 SPOILERS

From mazingman728 on the DCMB...
SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, Lexcorp is pleased to welcome you to the Melee in Metropolis, the Battle of the Baldies, the Fist-to-Cuffs of 52!!!! Over in this corner being a man that needs no introduction and accompanied by his body guard Mercy, Infinity Inc. and their special guest Natasha Irons…the Prince of Metropolis, the Former President of the United States, Double L…LEX LUTHOR!!!!!! And in this corner accompanied by the Teen Titans, Big Daddy Steel, Dr. I, JOHN…HENRY…IRONS!!!!!! So for the thousands in attendance and the millions at home and work on the internet…LETS GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cover has Steel on top of the Lexcorp’s building with the “L” having been knocked off and falling.

The ticker at the bottom reads “Lex Luthor vs. John Henry Irons...The Teen Titans vs. Infinity Inc…”

The book is penciled by Chris Batista and there is no origin in this issue.

Week 40, Day 1
Metropolis: Having gotten a hold of Natasha’s spy bug Lex uses it to contact John in an effort to call John out by showing him what he has done to Natasha. John unhappy with the situation suits up in his Steel armor and sends a priority communiqué to the Teen Titans in an effort to acquire their help in the matter and asks them to meet him at the Lexcorp Building.
Steel and the Titans arrive at the Lexcorp Building to a crowd of Lexcorp employees who are being lead out of the building as “He wants to keep his workers safe”. Upon their arrival the Titans and Steel break through the front of the building where two security guards are located and quickly taken out when Steel slams his hammer into the floor;
The Titans consist of Beast Boy, Raven, Aquagirl and Offspring. An elevator arrives containing some of the members of Infinity Inc and some robots. Nukleon rushes towards Steel – “Well, well. Look who wants a rematch-- only to get knocked on his butt with an upper cut from the hammer’s handle. Steel starts to strangle Nukleon with the handle while asking him where Natasha is.

Upstairs: Lex is watching the battle on a PC screen with Mercy and Natasha in the same room. Lex looking down at Natasha “I have to admit I’m really looking forward to this. Aren’t you?

Downstairs: Steel is knocking his way through the Lexcorps security robots and knocking out another member of Infinity Inc. Beast Boy tells Steel to go and to …”let us Sluggo the Nancies!” Steel confirms that he heard the security guards correctly when they arrived that the floors above are empty and then takes of breaking through the ceilings/floors towards Lex’s office.

Upstairs: Steel crashes through to the top level to be met by Mercy and Natasha at which time Mercy starts firing at Steel. John jumps towards Mercy, with the bullets having no affect on Steel, and brings his hammer down towards Mercy, she steps aside allowing Steel to smash the desk that was behind her and is quickly knock out with a hit from Steel elbow to Mercy’s chin. Natasha gets up and runs to John giving him a big hug. Natasha tells John that “It’s good to see you!” John in return hugs Natasha back and tells her “It’s good to see you too. The Titans are down in the lobby. I want you to head down there; you’ll be safe with them. Natasha takes a step back and tells John that she want to stay with him and reveals that Natasha is really Everyman, who turns into a giant crab. Steel is grabbed by the crab’s right pincher and starts to get crushed causing cracks all over Steel’s armor. With all his might John breaks the pincher and escapes the grasp of the crab. Steels armor is now shattered as well as Everyman’s right hand. Steel pulls off his helmet, picks up his hammer and starts to walk towards Everyman who is slowly changing back into his human form.
John: Where’s my niece? WHERE IS SHE!?
Everyman: With Luthor—She’s with Luth----orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
At which Everyman falls through the hole in the floor created by Steel during his flight up to the top floor.

Downstairs: Everyman dies from his landing
Beast Boy: Not enough room for two shape shifters around here.
Offspring: (looking up and seeing John Henry) Man, I would not want to be Luthor right now…

Upstairs: John smashes the door of Lex’s office and is met by Lex and Natasha who is bound in a high security chair.
John: LUTHOR! YOUR SUPER-POWERED THUGS ARE CRAWLING HOME TO MAMA! YOU’RE ALL ALONE! LET HER GO OR I POUND YOU AND YOUR HAND-TAILORED SUIT INTO THE SIDEWALK!
Lex: You think this is Dodge City, Dr. Irons? This is called breaking and entering, and the law entitles me to retaliate. Now. How does this work?
Lex uses his powers and blasts John with heat vision, which triggers the sprinkler systems, and then proceeds to look at his hand using x-ray vision. John gets up and leaps at Lex swings his hammer down upon Lex ***this is the scene from last week’s Next in 52*** Lex is driven into the floor from the hit and then quickly grabs the hammer and pushes the handle of the hammer threw John’s side. While John is pulling the hammer out, Lex flies out of the floor and hits John and then backhands him knocking him out of the window and breaking the handle of the hammer. Lex then turns towards Natasha all full of himself.
Lex: I like this. Explain to me again how being human is so much better than this. Now we can build our new JLA. We’ll enforce MY laws, MY philosophies, Natasha. With no one smart enough or coordinated enough to stop us, we’ll make the world a better place in days.
Natasha: Are you insane?
Lex: We’ll even rename Earth in my honor! Why Not? Planet Lexor!
John walks back in through the window.
John: You’ll never succeed, Luthor. You know why? Because you lack what all your pseudo-supermen lacked: a cause worth fighting for. No noble intention. No love. No creed. Nothing gives your life meaning only Luthor.
Lex: If I needed analysis, I’ll hire a qualified shrink, Irons. You have four broken ribs and a ruptured appendix. You small intestine is leaking fecal matter into your bloodstream…”

John tells Natasha that “we’re going home” which infuriated Lex who then smashes his desk with a single punch. Lex tells Natasha that he needs her to explain it all to the press and the Teen Titans to which Natasha tells Lex that she will as long as he doesn’t hurt John. John tells Lex that she doesn’t tale orders from anybody least of all you. This upsets Lex who charges at John. As Lex grabs John around the throat, John throws his hammer at the chair holding Natasha breaking her free. John punches Lex just as he uses his heat vision and blows a hole in the roof. Natasha picks up the hammer and says to herself “Luthor proved a close range electronic pulse can disorganize the artificial exo-gene. You hammer has an atomic power source”.
With John now holding his hands around Lex’s throat, Lex flies them both up through the hole in the ceiling and outside onto the roof of the building. Lex could hear that Natasha said something but can’t make it. Lex then slaps John off of him, but John’s robotic left hand is still around Lex’s throat which Lex easily breaks. Natasha then hold up the now powered up hammer taking Lex’s powers away.
Lex: What have you done to me?
John: The same thing you did to all those kids you killed on New Year’s! But maybe you should thank us: The Everyman Treatment is toxic. It was eating you up inside—in six months you’d be dead. SO I just saved your life, Luthor. Saving lives is what I do.
Lex: Get away from me! The exo-gene will recover in seconds! I’ll tear you apart!
John: (grabbing Lex around the throat) You don’t have seconds. Time for a fair fight.

Downstairs: Mercy is being taken away by the police while the Titans are standing around.
AAAAAUUUU
Offspring: uh-oh Blood curdling cries of pain.
Beast Boy: What’s happening up there? Did he make it? I mean it’s all gone quiet!
Aquagirl: No, look! LOOK! Up in the sky!
The Lexcorp “L” falls out of the sky crushing the Lexcorp title and entryway. When the Titans look up they see John with his arm around Natasha and Lex knocked out lying on his back.

Week 40, Day 5
Kahndaq:
Osiris: The rain has not stopped for over a week, and yet our gardens die. Civil unrest has begun to take hold in a country that has been peaceful for nearly a year. The Hospitals are overflowing with the sick, suffering from diseases that have not plagued these lands in centuries. Our cemeteries are overflowing. This is my fault Sobek. If I had not murdered that man I would have been able to keep these corrupted powers under control.
Sobek: Do you really think they did this, Osiris? You killed but one…
Osiris: And those around me will forever suffer because of it. I am cursed. Kahndaq is cursed. You may be as well, my friend.
Sobek: That would be terrible!
Osiris: I need to do something about it. I need to purify myself on a pilgrimage. I need to release my powers…and gain new ones to set things right. I do not want to do this to Isis and Black Adam, but will you help me find it, Sobek? Will you come with me?
Sobek: Come with you where, Osiris?
Osiris: To the Rock of Eternity. I need to find a new family.

NEXT IN 52: A bat looking Green Lantern looking down at the Castaways ship which appears to have crash landed in water, Adam Strange and Kory are fighting something off screen and Kory has been shot in the left shoulder with a spike, Renee fighting Richard Dragon.

"Rubber-stamping most of DC's output as S.A.W.F. since 2005"
Old February 6th, 2007   Astro@work is offline   #2
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I'm both thrilled and deflated about the Titans appearance. They finally get a spotlight issue (yay!)...but only 4 of them appear??? This was a big opportunity to feature some of the missing year Titans, and 2 of the 4 are the old standbys. Oh well.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old February 6th, 2007   kory_anders is offline   #3
kory_anders
X'hal!

I, too, am surprised at the lack of 52 Titans being used. I mean they created all those characters only to (so far) do very little with them. Judging by next week's preview I also have to go back to worrying about Kory until next week...*sigh* My nerves are shot!

Old February 6th, 2007   Danjester is offline   #4
Danjester
Batman-Wannabe Horseman

Just a thought but is it possible that OYL starts OYL than 52 #52?

"Rubber-stamping most of DC's output as S.A.W.F. since 2005"
Old February 6th, 2007   Eric Moreno is offline   #5
Eric Moreno
Super Dope Copy Editor

ddf
Danjester View Post
Thanks a lot, my brain is broken again.

Love the smack down of Luthor by Steel. What with this and the donnybrook he gets into with Supes OYL, it is gonna be a rough time to be a Luthor!

Read my new column Inside the Comic Writers Studio, which features some of the best comic writers around and appears weekly here at ComicBloc.com!
Old February 6th, 2007   ShadowoftheRaven is offline   #6
ShadowoftheRaven*
Citizen

Wonder who the artist is? Hope he's good, because the Teen Titan's costumes better be good!

Old February 6th, 2007   Eric Moreno is offline   #7
Eric Moreno
Super Dope Copy Editor

Wonder who the artist is? Hope he's good, because the Teen Titan's costumes better be good!
ddf
ShadowoftheRaven View Post
It says it's Chris Batista ... his arc on JLA was great and so have his issues of 52 so far, so I think he's somebody you can trust.

Read my new column Inside the Comic Writers Studio, which features some of the best comic writers around and appears weekly here at ComicBloc.com!
Old February 6th, 2007   marburger is offline   #8
marburger
Advanced Geoffan

Now that's a fight to the finish. GO John Steel Henry!!!!

Old February 6th, 2007   Astro@work is offline   #9
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

ddf
Danjester View Post
ha, I never thought of it that way. I guess the question might be "One Year Later than WHAT?"

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old February 6th, 2007   Holiday is offline   #10
Holiday
White Pawn

Awesome. This really is the John Henry Irons that we all know and love. I am a little worried about the Irons family after they talked about the side effects of the exo-gene on a person's body.

I can't wait to find out what the conclusion of the space heroes is. It will be nice to see what is up.

Old February 6th, 2007   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #11
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

ddf
Danjester View Post
Pretty sure OYL is One Year later than Infinite Crisis.

Countdown is meant to start right after 52 #52, and be happeninga t the same time as regular DC.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old February 6th, 2007   Peter Bardyn is offline   #12
Peter Bardyn
7 Star General

Now I'm worried John will be the one to die (from septicemia)

What greater glory for a Superman ally than to go out beating Luthor's ***?

Old February 6th, 2007   Wally West888 is offline   #13
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I can't wait to see this issue, Luthor getting his *** kicked is always good to see.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old February 6th, 2007   aflahive is offline   #14
aflahive
Advanced Geoffan

does this wrap up this story line?
I think most agree with me that this has been the most/only disapointing story line in the book.
(i wonder which writer head-ed up this plot?)

Old February 6th, 2007   Vad Varo is offline   #15
Vad Varo
Geoffan

In early interviews, it was mentioned that an unofficial "7th" or "10th" main character (depending on how you count it) might be an appropriate description of Lex (he has featured prominently on 3 covers, pretty high ratio considering this series)

If DC didn't HAVE to use Lex OYL in Up, Up and Away to parallel the SUPERMAN RETURNS storyline (give the new readers an accessible jump on point that uses what they are familiar with, Fortress, Crystal, Superman coming back, Lex out for vengeance) then I bet they would have included Lex in the (black-out) so we wouldn't know his fate post-52.

In some ways this really was a "Lex" story and not a John Henry or Natasha story (oh was she ever annoying throughout most of this, can't say I feel too sorry for her)

Which is sad, cause I like John Henry a lot, but he didn't get to DO much of anything in this story, except it seems, in this issue

“...it’s the fear of failure that makes mediocrity. And without fearing that, I was able to find my own voice."- Danny Elfman, 2002

"Homer no function beer well without."*- Homer Simpson
Old February 6th, 2007   Bizarro #98 is offline   #16
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Steel attacked a giant enemy crab's weak point for massive damage?

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482