The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 1st, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Question Teen Titans Annual issue #1 Preview & Discussion

NEWSARAMA PREVIEW

TEEN TITANS ANNUAL #1
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL and TOM DeFALCO
Art and cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
On sale MAY 2 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

• “THE CULLING” begins here!
• It’s the TEEN TITANS vs. THE LEGION LOST one mile beneath the Antarctic in the chamber of horrors known as the Crucible!
• Continued in this month’s SUPERBOY #9, LEGION LOST #9 and TEEN TITANS #9!
ddf

Old May 1st, 2012   DSumner is offline   #2
DSumner
Neo Geoffan

Ummm...I'm not quite sure what to say.

Old May 1st, 2012   tamaranorbust is offline   #3
tamaranorbust
Geoffan

Ummm...I'm not quite sure what to say.
ddf
DSumner View Post
Titans and Legionnaires turned into Marvel mutants.

Comics posts at my blog
HISTORIES OF THINGS TO COME
Old May 2nd, 2012   DSumner is offline   #4
DSumner
Neo Geoffan

Titans and Legionnaires turned into Marvel mutants.
ddf
tamaranorbust View Post
Well at least I enjoyed several of the Marvel mutant teams, I'm not quite sure what this is.

Old May 2nd, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #5
Outside_85
persona non grata

Well at least I enjoyed several of the Marvel mutant teams, I'm not quite sure what this is.
ddf
DSumner View Post
Mutated team of Titans?

Old May 2nd, 2012   Joey Wilson is offline   #6
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

ddf
DSumner View Post
I believe the technical term is "hot mess."

Old May 2nd, 2012   chasm is offline   #7
chasm
Master Geoffan

I believe the technical term is "hot mess."
ddf
Joey Wilson View Post

It's funny because it's true. Wow. What a cluster you-know-what. I had to put the book down twice, walk away and come back. I was on the fence about the title but this just completely gives me the excuse to walk away. They are writing the Titans as if they were GEN-13. I thought DC bought Wildstorm, not the other way around.

Old May 2nd, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #8
Outside_85
persona non grata

The term melodrama rings heavily in my ears after reading this.

Old May 3rd, 2012   tamaranorbust is offline   #9
tamaranorbust
Geoffan

The term melodrama rings heavily in my ears after reading this.
ddf
Outside_85 View Post
From interviews, I gather that the creators' big aim here was to create a new top notch villain. As I was reading it, I found myself constantly thinking of Brother Blood, when he first appeared in the NTT, and how much more powerful a villain he was than Harvest is here.

I felt that a villain actually needs something identifiable and human about him to be a truly great villain. Harvest is just a grinning skull in an S and M jockstrap. He's one-dimensional. I mean, Darwinian concentration camp for superteens? Really?

Ravagers will soon have Brother Blood make an appearance. I think that is an implicit acknowledgement by the creators that they have not created the big villain they are hyping. Because if Harvest were truly the big gun they wanted, he wouldn't need a big villain as supporting cast so quickly. From the way they are talking in interviews, Harvest is on the same level as Darkseid or the alien in the alien film series. Well, bringing in Brother Blood in Ravagers 3 is like jumping from 'Alien' right to a derivative crossover like 'AVP' three minutes in.

And I didn't like Gar Logan displaying four different animals at a time in his human form. But I suppose quibbling about lousy stuff like that at this point is a waste of energy, especially looking at Lilith.

Given the Earth 2 storyline, it seems pretty clear that they are going to start rebooting the DCU timeline/ multiverse again in the fall somehow, and DCnU will all be an elseworlds mega-retcon, with some elements retained after the next crossover. But as far as the titans are concerned, I really don't see how this gave creators breathing room for fresh new ideas and amazing creativity.

Comics posts at my blog
HISTORIES OF THINGS TO COME
Old May 3rd, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #10
Outside_85
persona non grata

While I agree on the notion of Harvest being a League (possibly Darkseid) level villain was setting the bar impossibly high from the beginning (since you don't make a League-lvl bad guy for another team, the bad guy has to fight the League to be that). We cant really be sure if its the good version of Brother Blood we get or Johns crappy vamp version.
And yes...some motivation on the villains part would be nice. And less melodrama...it's kinda dumb to look at people acting like that off a theater stage.

Old May 7th, 2012   balder is offline   #11
balder

Did they even explain why they had the costumes put on them?

If it takes 2 or 3 tries to get through one reading of a book, who do we blame?

Comicster
My other vehicle is blue police box