The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 18th, 2011   HushedRuin is offline   #1
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

Default SPOILER: 'Teen Titans' Debuts New Gay Superhero

SOunds like it won't be too much of a shocker as it seems to be very much part of his character, but Brett Booth spills the beans on Bunker. I'm interested. http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...een-superhero/

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old September 18th, 2011   leonmallett is offline   #2
leonmallett
comics fan

Remember the last 'flamboyant gay character' (paraphrasing closely Brett Booth's words about Bunker) DC tried out?

Extrano? Brrr...

Seems quite ill-judged to me, especially given how well I think Heinberg positioned two gay characters in Young Avengers.
Last edited by leonmallett; September 18th, 2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Extra point made

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old September 18th, 2011   heffison is offline   #3
heffison
Lapsed Reader

Remember the last 'flamboyant gay character' (paraphrasing closely Brett Booth's words about Bunker) DC tried out?

Extrano? Brrr...

Seems quite ill-judged to me, especially given how well I think Heinberg positioned two gay characters in Young Avengers.
ddf
leonmallett View Post
I think these guys have a little more up-to-date idea of what a way-out gay teen would be like today than the folks behind Extrano had of...whatever they were thinking.

There are some real flamers out there. They're real people with good and bad qualities, people you come to like...or don't.

I kind of like the idea that this kid will come in being himself, not looking like he was hired to play "the Role Model."

Old September 18th, 2011   Kyer is offline   #4
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

The nicest thing I can say is that I like his fashion sense on par with the rest of the team's fashion sense.

0_o

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old September 18th, 2011   michealdark is offline   #5
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Awesome

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old September 18th, 2011   J-Liv is offline   #6
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

I have absolutely nothing against an openly gay character on the team (kinda overdue, actually), but I do take issue with it being the singular selling point for the character. Why can't we have a really cool superhero, who just happens to be openly gay, instead of an openly gay character, who just happens to be a really cool superhero? Am I the only person who gets the difference?

Old September 18th, 2011   Timekeeper is offline   #7
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

I have absolutely nothing against an openly gay character on the team (kinda overdue, actually), but I do take issue with it being the singular selling point for the character. Why can't we have a really cool superhero, who just happens to be openly gay, instead of an openly gay character, who just happens to be a really cool superhero? Am I the only person who gets the difference?
ddf
J-Liv View Post
Actually, Lobdell's interviews about Miguel had me excited for the character even before we learned how he would be bringing more diversity to the team. His background as a local hero and basically a "superhero fanboy" who is going to be extremely excited when he first meets Red Robin sounds like something I'd want to read, in fact it kind of reminds me of Eddie in a way.

I don't think we have to worry about his sexuality being his main selling point in the actual book, but I do think they're going to hype it and that the reveal was purposefully saved to generate buzz for the book closer to its street date. If we had known Miguel was gay back in July it would have been discussed to death by now.

Damn, I needed a new signature :P
Old September 18th, 2011   5andman is offline   #8
5andman
Master Geoffan

Should we be proactive and boycott any LCS that ban this book?

Old September 18th, 2011   michealdark is offline   #9
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

ddf
J-Liv View Post
Same argument was used against Kate Kane, and it all turned out to be over nothing

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old September 18th, 2011   therealssjlink is offline   #10
therealssjlink
Master Geoffan

Same argument was used against Kate Kane, and it all turned out to be over nothing
ddf
michealdark View Post
Honestly, when I was reading her run, I kinda felt like they were pushing the issue heavy-handily. Especially that issue at the dance. I still read Batwoman but the fact that they kept saying that being gay was only an aspect of her and being a hero is more of her character it sure seemed the other way around.

I liked the way it was dealt with Renée much more.

"I have no fear of failure."

May 2010
Old September 19th, 2011   Outside_85 is offline   #11
Outside_85
persona non grata

ddf
J-Liv View Post
Dont we have Midnighter and Apollo (whos basically a gay Batman & Superman)?

Old September 19th, 2011   Kyer is offline   #12
Kyer
Sorry MkBear

The only thing that truly astounds me (besides that anyone in their right mind would want a mohawk or mix purple with pink) is that his being homosexual is a point of note.

So. What.

Are we going to have these kinds of threads when someone is announced Bi? Asexual? Straight?

How long before these things are truly taken as so commonplace that nobody even blinks an eye?

Maybe all will be seen as truly equal (under the eyes of God anyway) when everybody stops treating different as extraordinary and pointing it out.

Just saying.

People had been working for so many years to make the world a safe organized place. Nobody realized how boring it would become. ~Palahniuk
Old September 19th, 2011   heffison is offline   #13
heffison
Lapsed Reader

Dont we have Midnighter and Apollo (whos basically a gay Batman & Superman)?
ddf
Outside_85 View Post
Yeah, but they haven't developed yet (in their DCnU incarnations) to show what other "selling points" they might have as characters. The only things I've ever heard about them is that they are gay, violent characters initially seen as almost a satire of Supes and Bats.

I'm sure Cornell has plans for them and his other Stormwatch characters, and is probably one of the best writers at DC to take them on. We just don't know yet what he has in mind.

I've never read any of Lobdell's work other than Superboy #1, but I trust that he has a clear idea of Miggs as a person, not just a trait. He's gone to the trouble of giving the character a specific social background, not just the name of a hometown, so I think you'll see a complete person, not just a point on the diversity meter.

Old September 19th, 2011   Sentinel119 is offline   #14
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

The only thing that truly astounds me (besides that anyone in their right mind would want a mohawk or mix purple with pink) is that his being homosexual is a point of note.

So. What.

Are we going to have these kinds of threads when someone is announced Bi? Asexual? Straight?

How long before these things are truly taken as so commonplace that nobody even blinks an eye?

Maybe all will be seen as truly equal (under the eyes of God anyway) when everybody stops treating different as extraordinary and pointing it out.

Just saying.
ddf
Kyer View Post
If the character works, great. But sometimes it seems like a stunt. The case of Young Avengers seemed to be a natural progression of the characters. Having to announce it before the character debuts feels like a stunt. My final judgment is out until they have actually introduced the character.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old September 19th, 2011   Outside_85 is offline   #15
Outside_85
persona non grata

Yeah, but they haven't developed yet (in their DCnU incarnations) to show what other "selling points" they might have as characters. The only things I've ever heard about them is that they are gay, violent characters initially seen as almost a satire of Supes and Bats.

I'm sure Cornell has plans for them and his other Stormwatch characters, and is probably one of the best writers at DC to take them on. We just don't know yet what he has in mind.

I've never read any of Lobdell's work other than Superboy #1, but I trust that he has a clear idea of Miggs as a person, not just a trait. He's gone to the trouble of giving the character a specific social background, not just the name of a hometown, so I think you'll see a complete person, not just a point on the diversity meter.
ddf
heffison View Post
Well, they are dark parodies of Batman, Superman and their relationship. And I think alot of the pair would be lost if either or both suddenly turned out straight. Like those railing against Barbara getting her legs back.

Since I will be getting the issue's because of my subscription, I am looking towards the situations that will arise from this. Lobdell has mentioned that Miguel idolizes Tim and I wouldn't be surprised if that leads to at least one awkward moment between the two.

Old September 19th, 2011   HushedRuin is offline   #16
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

I don't think there's been a big press release about it, just something that came up on Brett Booth's blog and he talked about it. It's not like they're saying, "Buy this for diversity's sake! We're so edgy!" which was the vibe I got from the new Ultimate Spider-Man. Then again, that all didn't really hit a fever pitch until the week of the reveal.

It seems like it's part of who Miguel/Bunker is, but it doesn't seem like DC is using it as a selling point (at this point in time). Which is a good way to go about it, IMO.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.