The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 22nd, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Question Teen Titans issue #6 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

In the aftermath of their battle with Superboy, the Teen Titans make a horrifying discovery: Kid Flash has been knocked out of synch! If they are going to save their teammate, the badly beaten and battered teens need to sneak into the New York branch of S.T.A.R. Labs – which means that this issue guest-stars none other than Virgil Hawkins, a.k.a. Static! But if the team was hoping to use the lab for some downtime, they are going to be disappointed, because now they must battle a new, young team of supervillains known only as 2.0! All this and the debut of Kid Flash's new costume!

Story by
Scott Lobdell
Art by
Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund
Colors by
Andrew Dalhouse
Letters by
Dezi Sienty
Cover by
Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund, Andrew Dalhouse
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Wed, February 22nd, 2012
ddf

Old February 22nd, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #2
Outside_85
persona non grata

Sadly the only thing left in me after reading this was apathy...I don't care any longer for any of these people.

Old February 22nd, 2012   chasm is offline   #3
chasm
Master Geoffan

I think Lobdell really needs to work on developing the friendships and inner-team relationships quickly. Otherwise, why are these kids together other than to survive against N.O.W.H.E.R.E.'s attacks? Why should they stay together afterwards? Problem is, we've already seen the bonds established in Young Justice & the old Teen Titans books and are just waiting for this incarnation to catch up.

Old February 23rd, 2012   Joey Wilson is offline   #4
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

It's kind of funny to see each issue become bafflingly more banal and horrible. What a sad state of affairs TT has become.

Old February 23rd, 2012   chasm is offline   #5
chasm
Master Geoffan

Well, to be honest, the last three to five years of the Teen Titans franchise wasn't really much of an improvement over what is currently being produced. There was plenty of moaning about how the Titans (both teen & adult) were being mistreated. I had long since dropped both titles in disgust.

Old February 23rd, 2012   michealdark is offline   #6
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Sounds like Lobdell started strong on this book only to start slowly crashing and burning?

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old February 23rd, 2012   Joey Wilson is offline   #7
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

Strong? I don't know about that. A take like this may have worked in the 90s but everything about this iteration of TT is cheesy, overworked, generic, derivative, soulless and too-talky. There's literally nothing to like about it.

Old February 23rd, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #8
Outside_85
persona non grata

Sounds like Lobdell started strong on this book only to start slowly crashing and burning?
ddf
michealdark View Post
The book has it champions (it's sales prove that), but speaking for myself; I don't care for the changes done to the characters.
But I would suggest you pick it up or at least sneak a peek from somewhere to make up your own opinion.

Old February 23rd, 2012   Astro@work is offline   #9
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I think Lobdell really needs to work on developing the friendships and inner-team relationships quickly. Otherwise, why are these kids together other than to survive against N.O.W.H.E.R.E.'s attacks? Why should they stay together afterwards? Problem is, we've already seen the bonds established in Young Justice & the old Teen Titans books and are just waiting for this incarnation to catch up.
ddf
chasm View Post
100% agree.

Lobdell had an additional hurdle that no previous writer had though...re-introducing all the main players in a brand new universe. That said, he needs to get some bonds formed quickly and move forward...right now I don't think he's there yet. Too much uncompressed storytelling bogging the 1st arc down.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old February 23rd, 2012   Timekeeper is offline   #10
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

ddf
michealdark View Post
I've seen high praise for this issue (and past issues) on other boards. The relationships between the different characters are getting stronger with issue. I think the book will really find its legs after the crossover. I'm expecting it to read excellently in trade form.

Damn, I needed a new signature :P
Old February 23rd, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #11
Outside_85
persona non grata

100% agree.

Lobdell had an additional hurdle that no previous writer had though...re-introducing all the main players in a brand new universe. That said, he needs to get some bonds formed quickly and move forward...right now I don't think he's there yet. Too much uncompressed storytelling bogging the 1st arc down.
ddf
On the other hand he was free to do whatever he pleased and no one could technically cry foul over unexplained changes in characters

Old February 24th, 2012   J-Liv is offline   #12
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

I'm generally enjoying this book. Do I like it as much as pre-reboot Titans? No. But I do like it. It's a different take. Would have preferred it as an Else-Worlds or some such, but it is what it is. Truthfully, the last time anything Titans was a "Must Read" was under McKeever and Barrows. But I've seen far worse than what we currently have. I mean, have we all forgotten Felicia Henderson already?

Old February 24th, 2012   michealdark is offline   #13
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I've seen high praise for this issue (and past issues) on other boards. The relationships between the different characters are getting stronger with issue. I think the book will really find its legs after the crossover. I'm expecting it to read excellently in trade form.
ddf
Timekeeper View Post
That's sort of the problem TT has had since Geoff's run, isn't it? It reads great in trade, but it's hard to get excited about any individual issue, almost like it needs to be an annual graphic novel series rather than a monthly floppy

RIP Tara
Old February 24th, 2012   J-Liv is offline   #14
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

That's sort of the problem TT has had since Geoff's run, isn't it? It reads great in trade, but it's hard to get excited about any individual issue, almost like it needs to be an annual graphic novel series rather than a monthly floppy
ddf
michealdark View Post
In fairness, that's been true of most of the stuff DC as put out in the last couple of years. And certainly true of most of the relaunch titles.

Old February 25th, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #15
Outside_85
persona non grata

Taking a step back from my usual distaste for the changes, I ended up giving it 3.5/5 stars in my review:
http://www.comicvine.com/teen-titans...eview_id=28065

Old February 25th, 2012   michealdark is offline   #16
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

In fairness, that's been true of most of the stuff DC as put out in the last couple of years. And certainly true of most of the relaunch titles.
ddf
J-Liv View Post
That's true too. I don't mind decompressed story telling, but I still feel each issue should be able to stand as a complete story in its own right.

RIP Tara