The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Aquaman

Old October 26th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Thumbs up SPOILERS Aquaman issue #2 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

The red-hot creative team behind BLACKEST NIGHT and BRIGHTEST DAY reunite!

An entire town…devoured! As Aquaman and Mera discover the grisly truth behind a town’s disappearance, the Trench infestation spreads inland! Plus: Another gruesome Trench power revealed – and it’s not for the squeamish!

Story by
Geoff Johns
Art by
Ivan Reis, Joe Prado
Colors by
Rod Reis
Letters by
Nick J. Napolitano
Cover by
Ivan Reis, Joe Prado
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Wed, October 26th, 2011
ddf

Old October 26th, 2011   Bizarro #98 is offline   #2
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

The Trench with scars seems to be the leader.

I like that Mera is much more annoyed with people disrespecting Aquaman than Aquaman himself is. She can't understand why other people don't think he's cool, any more than those people can understand why she does.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old October 29th, 2011   HushedRuin is offline   #3
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

I enjoyed it. Sucks for the town that got massacred though.

P.S. The girlfriend gave it a read and liked Mera more than Aquaman.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old October 29th, 2011   Greg Waite is offline   #4
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

It wasn't as good as the first issue but it was pretty enjoyable.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old October 29th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #5
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Eh. Trench creatures gotta eat, too. Sucks for the people that got eaten, but that's nature for you. Hopefully at some point soon they'll establish precisely what makes these trench fellas "monsters", as opposed to just a different species that happens to think humans are yummy. Because there are a lot of animals that think that, and most of them are pretty cool. Tigers. Crocodiles. Bears. Killer whales. Next thing on Aquaman's agenda should be to figure out if there's anything that makes these guys "evil" instead of just, "awesome-looking and a bit peckish."

I'm still a bit puzzled that all these people are coming up and insulting Aquaman to his face. It was never like that before. Sure, maybe people made jokes about him, but...dude, he can bench-press a truck. Insulting him to his face, in front of his wife, is just kinda stupid. Hm... I may have just answered my own question.
I like that Mera is much more annoyed with people disrespecting Aquaman than Aquaman himself is. She can't understand why other people don't think he's cool, any more than those people can understand why she does.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
Mm. I think everybody can understand perfectly well (or at least, they think they understand) why she likes Aquaman. His status as one of the DCU's preeminent pretty boys goes back a long way, even before the days when Power Girl spent all that time lusting after him.

Even if that stuff is no longer in continuity, he's still a damn fine piece of fish-tail.

Old October 29th, 2011   Bizarro #98 is offline   #6
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Hopefully at some point soon they'll establish precisely what makes these trench fellas "monsters", as opposed to just a different species that happens to think humans are yummy. Because there are a lot of animals that think that, and most of them are pretty cool. Tigers. Crocodiles. Bears. Killer whales.
ddf
ADGood View Post
Lone humans wandering out in the wilderness maybe, but most predators will go out of their way to avoid human settlements. There's a reason for that. We wiped out all the ones who didn't.

Geoff has described Aquaman's job as protecting the land and the sea from each other. This situation seems like a good example of that.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old October 29th, 2011   Alan is offline   #7
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Aquaman will be huge for as long as Geoff stays with it. Lets hope its a while.

Old October 29th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #8
Amentep

I liked the issue, I guess. It didn't feel as sharp as the first issue to me.

Old October 30th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #9
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Lone humans wandering out in the wilderness maybe, but most predators will go out of their way to avoid human settlements. There's a reason for that. We wiped out all the ones who didn't.

Geoff has described Aquaman's job as protecting the land and the sea from each other. This situation seems like a good example of that.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
Makes sense to me. All I know is that the Trench things were just basically going, "I'm hungry. Ooh, that looks like it might be good to eat." Meanwhile, it was Mera who was, like, "Rargh! Monsters! Die, die die!!!"

I know she's got that whole rage problem, but it still seems a little over the top, even for Geoff.

Old November 1st, 2011   Marvelman ver.02 is offline   #10
Marvelman ver.02
Neo Geoffan

I agree with a reviewer who said this issue was short on character. There isn't really much in this chapter to distinguish Aquaman as a personality.

Old November 2nd, 2011   Bizarro #98 is offline   #11
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

I agree with a reviewer who said this issue was short on character. There isn't really much in this chapter to distinguish Aquaman as a personality.
ddf
Marvelman ver.02 View Post
I'm not sure I agree. Sometimes inaction tells you more about a person than action does.

A lot of superheroes these days are prideful, performing exaggerated acts of machismo at the slightest hint of their capability being questioned to satisfy their own egos (as well as the fragile egos of the fanbase that lives vicariously through them). With his powers, Aquaman could easily intimidate and bully these townsfolk. But he doesn't, not even when provoked, and I find that a rare and admirable quality.

Old November 2nd, 2011   Lucifer complex is offline   #12
Lucifer complex
expressway to Hell

Aquaman will be huge for as long as Geoff stays with it. Lets hope its a while.
ddf
Alan View Post
I agree with this. the same thing happened with Hawkman. after he left it got lost for a while,and by the time it got good again it was cancelled.

Old November 2nd, 2011   ADGood is offline   #13
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I'm not sure I agree. Sometimes inaction tells you more about a person than action does.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
This is something along the lines of the old, "Listen to the notes they're not playing," line that some musicians say to - presumably - distract you from the notes that they are playing?

Old November 3rd, 2011   Bizarro #98 is offline   #14
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

This is something along the lines of the old, "Listen to the notes they're not playing," line that some musicians say to - presumably - distract you from the notes that they are playing?
ddf
ADGood View Post
Well, what Aquaman is doing is trying to solve the problem at hand in the midst of multiple potential distractions, which I also find admirable, but I can see how not everyone would.

Old November 3rd, 2011   ADGood is offline   #15
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

in the midst of multiple potential distractions
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
Dude, she has a name. It's "Mera."

Old November 8th, 2011   TheOptimist is offline   #16
TheOptimist

Of the new readers I've shared the new 52 with, Aquaman was by far the best received of the #1s in terms of appeal and accessibility... #2 was also the most eagerly anticipated and best received of those readers.

I have to say, I'm loving it so far... there is definitely a pace to this book, but I'm loving the concepts, execution and presentation... all together, a rousing success.