The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Aquaman

Old July 18th, 2011   JRM is offline   #33
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Good point! What was I thinking?

Beyond Roy Lincoln's Fibrowax suit and Batman's costume with the bat through the window...I'm blanking on any others at the moment.
ddf
Amentep View Post
I think that WW had a bit of a nod - kinda of odd one, IIRC, due to her coming for a land with no ties to the USA.

Horus the Egyptian God Pharaoh was the hawk headed god - but not sure if that was ever used back then as part of a story.

GA Flash and Mercury hat - again more symbol than in story.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 18th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #34
Amentep

I think that WW had a bit of a nod - kinda of odd one, IIRC, due to her coming for a land with no ties to the USA.

Horus the Egyptian God Pharaoh was the hawk headed god - but not sure if that was ever used back then as part of a story.

GA Flash and Mercury hat - again more symbol than in story.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Oh yeah, and Alan Scott wanted to create a costume that criminals would remember, which explains its lack of color coordination (hey it *is* memorable!)

Old July 18th, 2011   RainKing is offline   #35
RainKing
Neo Geoffan

Green I can understand as an undersea character's color, but I always wondered why the orange...was there ever an explanation for what Aquaman wore in the original comics?
ddf
Amentep View Post
There was an Aquaman mini-series in 1989 that established Aquaman's costume/uniform was a prison uniform.

Old July 18th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #36
Amentep

There was an Aquaman mini-series in 1989 that established Aquaman's costume/uniform was a prison uniform.
ddf
RainKing View Post
Weird...that's just...really weird.

Old July 18th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #37
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I liked it - and the art was well done and actually had the feel of being underwater, a feat that a lot of Aqua-artist don't pull off that well. And the costume was pretty spiff and made sence. But to be honest the orange and green one has always been among my least favorite of ALL comic uniforms. it may have been one of the better ones in the 40's (debatable) but, my eyes anyway, it did not stand the test of time.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
What did you think of the Peter David-era costume?
IMO, it was one of the few successful redesigns of a major DC character in the 90s.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old July 18th, 2011   JRM is offline   #38
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

What did you think of the Peter David-era costume?
IMO, it was one of the few successful redesigns of a major DC character in the 90s.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
It was fine, again most anything is better than the orange&green. Though the spear-hand was a bit much - never saw how that or the classic "Capt Hook" thing made much real sense - yeah visually kewl - but practically a moment. I actually kinda liked the water hand.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 18th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #39
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

It was fine, again most anything is better than the orange&green. Though the spear-hand was a bit much - never saw how that or the classic "Capt Hook" thing made much real sense - yeah visually kewl - but practically a moment. I actually kinda liked the water hand.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
I did too. Being an Aquaman fan has been a wild ride when it comes to the status quo (or absence thereof).

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old August 13th, 2011   Craig M.D. is offline   #40
Craig M.D.
Geoffan

Went down to the comic shop today as I finally had money to buy Death of a Prince and they had sold it already. They only got one copy in, so now I have to see if I can track it down at another store or have them order it in for me.

As a consolation, I bought issues #95-99 of Teen Titans.

Old August 14th, 2011   mego joe is offline   #41
mego joe
Geoffan

Went down to the comic shop today as I finally had money to buy Death of a Prince and they had sold it already. They only got one copy in, so now I have to see if I can track it down at another store or have them order it in for me.

As a consolation, I bought issues #95-99 of Teen Titans.
ddf
Craig M.D. View Post
Order it from Amazon, you'll get a great price break.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me