The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 14th, 2016   mego joe is offline   #17
mego joe
Geoffan

that coke thing was in the fall of 1985 and I still don't drink it.....but anyway the comics will change as the powers to be want them too...if they lose a few readers oh well....my reading list just keeps getting smaller and smaller...on the other hand I find myself rereading many old books, that I have or find for a dollar.....imo should they tie into the tv or movies or even to each other no, but who am I one reader .....again I think they are looking for short term readers who buy for a couple years and go on their way...not like us die hard's who have read from one crisis to another
ddf
ronaldj View Post
I'm sure they think that there is a core group of readers that they can't piss off. I think they are wrong. I think that group would very small and not enough to sustain them.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old February 14th, 2016   JRM is offline   #18
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

To be honest, not sure what could attract me back. I think that a line with diversity, that books are allowed to have their own feel. To me I need to actually feel respect has to be there for both the long history of creators and the tonal continuity, as well as, the reading public in general.

When making major changes, do it with enough for thought about what has made a property successful - not just toss things at the wall and see what sticks. Stop with gimmick based marketing. Yes, on the very rare case, it can be a lot of fun; however, month in and month out of this is again leeching the soul from the industry.

Cost - sorry, I can not justify the general $5 buck price tag, and with our dollar back in the $0.70 range again, add at least a buck more. How much of the current product is worth well over $6??? Not much. Then throw in what you get for that $6 ... a 3 minute read with poster art that is focused on the convention art market. <sigh>

Too much of the current structure is about product tie ins, gimmicks, the next quarter type of bottom line thinking that generally does great damage to most of an industry - but hey, the marketplace is a cruel mistress.

So can they recapture me. Maybe, but it not all that likely.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 15th, 2016   BrianT is offline   #19
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

The sentiments expressed here are exactly it. DC has no goodwill. They've been losing it since, yes, INFINITE CRISIS when they first demonstrated they had no overall plan and that lack of playing has continued over the years, until a steep drop in remaining goodwill last year.

That's why DC needs to go back to the iconic versions that best represent the core of their most popular characters. They need to establish a new baseline that they can gradually build up from. There is no overnight solution here. Put out a core 40 titles and let them establish an audience and a level of consistent quality.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old February 16th, 2016   superfriend is offline   #20
superfriend
laughs at comics

thing is for me, Dan Didio, Jim Lee and Bob Harras, Eddie Berganza and some of those folks who've really been a part of the decline since, like, 06/07? i don't know that i think these people are capable anymore.

or i just really, really don't see eye-to-eye with their vision. turns out i'm not alone, apparently.

past that, there's not a huge amount of creators' work that i show up for in the DC stable these days and the characters aren't really the versions that i interface the best with so i don't care about them all that much.

i've been thinking about this but the only way DC could get me back buying books is if they took a Wednesday Comics, probably more DCYOUish approach but with good creators like Wednesday Comics, not Scott Lobdell and Scott Snyder understudies. can you blame me...? i'm paying $4 for these things now. be nice if they were good.

which is probably asking too much due to irrevocable systemic problems. i kinda feel lucky that i've had decades of comicbook experience and have been a part of it when it was healthy, before the Dark Times.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old February 16th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #21
Amentep

The current teases (here it is on Geoff's twitter - https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/statu...15295026966533 )

"Its not a Reboot...it never was".

While I think some people think this is a response to the rumor that Rebirth itself will be a reboot, I've been wondering - given that we known a Titans series is coming out of Titans Hunt - are they actually going to be doing a "Flashpoint wasn't a reboot", ie establishing that the New 52 is actually the pre-Flashpoint DCU where everyone's memories were altered to think the world was different?

Anyhow, currently as it stands, Bleeding Cool is reporting Rebirth teams are:

Peter Tomasi on Superman, Tom King on Batman, Scott Snyder of Detective and Marguerite Bennett on Wonder Woman.

Old February 16th, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #22
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

The current teases (here it is on Geoff's twitter - https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/statu...15295026966533 )

While I think some people think this is a response to the rumor that Rebirth itself will be a reboot, I've been wondering - given that we known a Titans series is coming out of Titans Hunt - are they actually going to be doing a "Flashpoint wasn't a reboot", ie establishing that the New 52 is actually the pre-Flashpoint DCU where everyone's memories were altered to think the world was different?

Peter Tomasi on Superman, Tom King on Batman, Scott Snyder of Detective and Marguerite Bennett on Wonder Woman.
ddf
Amentep View Post
It certainly sounds like a "clever" way to hint that the New 52 was "Never a reboot." If the whole universe's memories are wrong (*sigh, more layers of esoteric jibber jabber to append to their universe's never-ending identity crisis), that would at least allow them to dump a lot of the changes made that perhaps haven't worked as well (SOLD as well) as they had hoped, while not undoing the events that took place during the "Time of Confusion"...

It seems like at this point they're in damage control mode, trying to figure out how to right the ship while pissing off as few readers as possible.

If only they had considered trying to minimize how many readers they were going to piss off when the New 52 launched... If executed properly, the New 52 could have energized their base and brought in new readers, too. Instead, they alienated a lot of their base, and didn't have the goods to attract and maintain, long-term, a healthy stable of new readers.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old February 16th, 2016   TJLamb0518 is offline   #23
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

ddf
Amentep View Post

But how would that work with the New-52 "heroes did not exist more than 5 years ago" rule? Superman just suddenly for got he was Superman, psychosomatically reduced his own powers and put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt? Wally west forgot he was a Caucasian father of two in his twenties and became an African-American teen (THERE'S a Flash Fact you never saw before!) and the entire JSA forgot they ever existed?

I mean, wow....I thought Secret Wars was a hot mess. But if this is really what DC has planned......

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old February 16th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #24
Amentep

I could be wrong, its just mindless (perhaps too apt a phrase) speculation on my part based on the teaser.

RE: Wally West - some people have suggested Arsenal in Titans Hunt is actually Wally based on some obscure clues; this would mean Wally was mindwiped of his entire identity and the new Wally is actually not Wally but a new character.

Old February 17th, 2016   Face Hugger is offline   #25
Face Hugger

I'm trying to get back into comics. I read DC heavily during the Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, and 52 days. Are there any books you all recommend I read in the lead up to Rebirth?

I'm a big Batman, Black Adam, and John Constantine fan if that helps. I also enjoy fantasy and books that focus on a more grounded, street level of a universe.

Old February 17th, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #26
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

But how would that work with the New-52 "heroes did not exist more than 5 years ago" rule? Superman just suddenly for got he was Superman, psychosomatically reduced his own powers and put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt? Wally west forgot he was a Caucasian father of two in his twenties and became an African-American teen (THERE'S a Flash Fact you never saw before!) and the entire JSA forgot they ever existed?

I mean, wow....I thought Secret Wars was a hot mess. But if this is really what DC has planned......
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
DC's not going to sit back and let Marvel out-hot-mess them. Being a hot mess is their thing.

Old February 17th, 2016   HushedRuin is offline   #27
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

I'm trying to get back into comics. I read DC heavily during the Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, and 52 days. Are there any books you all recommend I read in the lead up to Rebirth?

I'm a big Batman, Black Adam, and John Constantine fan if that helps. I also enjoy fantasy and books that focus on a more grounded, street level of a universe.
ddf
Face Hugger View Post
Welcome back!

- "Rebirth" seems to be a branding name for the books, rather than an event in their world. Kinda like how all titles had the One Year Later jump in the wake of Infinite Crisis.

- Batman is currently produced by Scott Snyder (writer) & Greg Capullo (penciller). This team is off the book in April, so May's #52 will be the first one without them since "The New 52" began. Well, without Snyder. I think Capullo skipped an issue or two here and there to work ahead.

- That said, 'Batman' has been THE success of nu52. I've read some of Snyder & Capullo's work and will vouch for it as MUST-READ. Really, great stuff.

- Constantine currently has a book (titled 'Constantine'), but I think it's possibly on the chopping block.

- Black Adam got a bit of a push in 'Forever Evil', but he's kinda fallen off my radar since then.

Don't worry. Whatever is coming in 'Rebirth', they'll make a big deal of promoting it and letting you know what's where.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old February 17th, 2016   Penny Dreadful is offline   #28
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

It certainly sounds like a "clever" way to hint that the New 52 was "Never a reboot." If the whole universe's memories are wrong (*sigh, more layers of esoteric jibber jabber to append to their universe's never-ending identity crisis), that would at least allow them to dump a lot of the changes made that perhaps haven't worked as well (SOLD as well) as they had hoped, while not undoing the events that took place during the "Time of Confusion"...
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Say, wasn't the goal of the DCNu to "streamline continuity"? I'm confused.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old February 17th, 2016   BrianT is offline   #29
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

ddf
Face Hugger View Post
I speculated that GREEN LANTERN was leading into Rebirth, but I'm not sure I buy it anymore: http://www.examiner.com/article/dc-c...ases-a-rebirth

If you want a more street level universe, I suggest checking out THE BLACK HOOD and THE SHIELD from Dark Circle Comics.

For fantasy I recommend BIRTHRIGHT from Image.

All three of them are fairly young series, so you should be able to catch up.

Also, I am looking forward to NIGHTMASK from Marvel starting in May for a street level book.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old February 18th, 2016   mego joe is offline   #30
mego joe
Geoffan

Crisis on Infinite hot messes

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old February 18th, 2016   John Casey is offline   #31
John Casey
Geoffan

As long as The Terrible Twosome ( Lee and DiDio) are in charge of what gets printed over at DC, all you will be able to expect is on gigantic hot mess.

T.J.,
That had to have been one of the funniest things I have read in a while ( A Flash fact you never saw before )

1) Flashpoint was a failure. The NU52 line led to more questions and left more readers confused....

2) Convergence "Half assed" it. Great concept...but undoing COiE???? saying that the old JSA evolved to the new Society team and de-aged??? Really? Shotty writing.

Old February 18th, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #32
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Say, wasn't the goal of the DCNu to "streamline continuity"? I'm confused.
ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post
Crisis on Infinite hot messes
ddf
mego joe View Post
As long as The Terrible Twosome ( Lee and DiDio) are in charge of what gets printed over at DC, all you will be able to expect is on gigantic hot mess.

T.J.,
That had to have been one of the funniest things I have read in a while ( A Flash fact you never saw before )

1) Flashpoint was a failure. The NU52 line led to more questions and left more readers confused....

2) Convergence "Half assed" it. Great concept...but undoing COiE???? saying that the old JSA evolved to the new Society team and de-aged??? Really? Shotty writing.
ddf
John Casey View Post
When DC has confused readers who stayed up to speed through CoIE, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, One Year Later, etc., they've really redefined the depths to which something can be called "convoluted."

...or maybe we were always a bit confused, but the product was, once upon a time, actually good enough to get us over that hump.