The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 19th, 2015   RoseWilson is offline   #1
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

Default Black Canary

I actually thought the new Black Canary was fun even if it didn't remotely come close to being a traditional take on the character. Felt like a bit of Scott Pilgrim influence here based on the weird adventures of a rock band. I could see it appealing to a somewhat younger and female audience but I'm sure their going to alienate some more traditional readers at the same time.

Old July 8th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #2
Amentep

I liked it. It follows up on BC having lost everything (thanks Batgirl!) from the Batgirl book and trying to get some money by taking a temporary contract fronting a band but having difficulty adjusting to that. The character still feels to me like I can see the connection with the New 52 Canary from BoP.

Thankfully there's some weird stuff going on which will lead to further intrigue. I think the biggest concern is whether the book can sustain the concept (which they've established in book as a temporary arrangement for BC) over a longer period (but then, maybe that's never been the plan?)

Old July 18th, 2015   RoseWilson is offline   #3
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

After 2 issues I'm really digging it. It's Black Canary meets Scott Pilgrim sure. I can see how that wouldn't work for everyone but it's hella fun as far as I'm concerned. I think I like it better than Batgirl.

Old October 1st, 2015   Amentep is offline   #4
Amentep

I've caught up with the series. I'm enjoying it, and certainly #4 went ways I didn't imagine.

I'm not sure how the story is going to be like when this arc wraps up.

Also if there's a battle of the bands, can we get Black Canary vs Scare Tactics vs The Maniaks? :P

Old February 13th, 2016   RoseWilson is offline   #5
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I thought this last issue was awesome. I like the band angle but it had gotten to be a bit too much for awhile. The new issue which still had plenty of the band but also a new martial arts angle and villain that wasn't music really hit the spot for me.

The book it would seem continues to be polarizing. I read two blog reviews of the issue both scoring out of ten one gave it a ten one gave it a three and half. I don't know if I'd quite go ten but that's definitely closer to where I'm at then three and half.

Old February 15th, 2016   Astro@work is offline   #6
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I liked the new angle with the white ninja having connections to Dinah's past. That's the kind of hook this title has needed (and I haven't minded the band stuff).

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old February 15th, 2016   Amentep is offline   #7
Amentep

Finally caught up with the title over the weekend. Enjoyed the end of the band storyline; curious to see where the tease goes from here.