The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old October 13th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default Silk and Spider-Gwen get ongoings

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/12/nycc...-thompson-and/

Today at their Spider-Verse panel, Marvel Comics announced that a new, ongoing Silk series by writer Robbie Thompson and interior artist Stacey Lee.
ddf
http://comicbook.com/2014/10/12/nycc...atour-and-rob/

From writer Jason LaTour, artist Robbi Rodriguez and colorist Rico Renzi, word of the series leaked online earlier this weekend after Marvel mentioned it at a retailer event -- but the official word, as well as the first cover, came down this afternoon.
ddf

Old October 13th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #2
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Silk is a brand new character. Chances are against this title. Best wishes.

I'm enjoying her introduction in Amazing Spider-Man. It's hard for established characters to have a successful monthly. She's an unknown.

Old October 13th, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #3
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

is something an ongoing if it has no hope of seeing issue #12?

Asking for a friend.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old October 13th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #4
Amentep

Well the introduction was well received. So that may help. Still I'd rather have 7 issues of a comic I like than 24 of one I don't - I'm certainly willing to give both titles a shot.

Old October 13th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #5
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Really digging the costume.
I'll give it a shot.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old October 14th, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #6
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Silk's intro was good. I'd be shocked f this lasts 12 issues and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised it they have it written as 6-12 issue mini with the option to extend if sales are where they want it.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old October 14th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #7
Amentep

^Reading interviews, that seems almost like Marvel's current approach to new titles in general.

Old October 14th, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #8
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

^Reading interviews, that seems almost like Marvel's current approach to new titles in general.
ddf
Amentep View Post
which I'm ok with....I get the business part of a decision like that. But as a fan when you think a book is ongoing and you enjoy it then it gets canned it's a bit upsetting....I'd rather know it's a planned 12 issue run and then be happy if it gets extended.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old October 14th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

which I'm ok with....I get the business part of a decision like that. But as a fan when you think a book is ongoing and you enjoy it then it gets canned it's a bit upsetting....I'd rather know it's a planned 12 issue run and then be happy if it gets extended.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
So would I, but sales have tended to indicate people avoid superhero comics with advertised finite runs.

Old October 14th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #10
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Marvel is in a damn if they do and damned if they don't situation here, in general, with spinning off solo titles of relatively unknown characters.

Kudos for trying and giving these characters a chance to garner new fans of the characters. No matter how unsuccessful it might be, a solo title will make a new fan out of someone. Hopefully, a lot of young fans who later grow up to some type of creator (actor, director, producer, writer, editor, artist) who could present them in a different light that a lot of people love.

I remember as a kid buying Mignola's Rocket Raccoon mini-series off the spinner rack and loving it.

Old October 14th, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #11
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

So would I, but sales have tended to indicate people avoid superhero comics with advertised finite runs.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Interesting....I did not know that. Personally for me I don't mind that. But again the knowing that it's ending is a good thing for me. especially with comic prices and planning out my monthly orders.

Marvel is in a damn if they do and damned if they don't situation here, in general, with spinning off solo titles of relatively unknown characters.

Kudos for trying and giving these characters a chance to garner new fans of the characters. No matter how unsuccessful it might be, a solo title will make a new fan out of someone. Hopefully, a lot of young fans who later grow up to some type of creator (actor, director, producer, writer, editor, artist) who could present them in a different light that a lot of people love.

I remember as a kid buying Mignola's Rocket Raccoon mini-series off the spinner rack and loving it.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
see for me I would never give a company crap for trying out books on new characters. It's my job to either try it or pass on it.

And yeah Mignola's Rocket mini was great....Loved it and still own my original copies.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old October 14th, 2014   ronaldj is offline   #12
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

And yeah Mignola's Rocket mini was great....Loved it and still own my original copies.[/quote]

me too

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old October 14th, 2014   RoseWilson is offline   #13
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

Generally give female solos a try so while I'm not reading Spiderman currently might give these a shot.

Old October 15th, 2014   Penny Dreadful is offline   #14
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

Silk is a brand new character. Chances are against this title. Best wishes.

I'm enjoying her introduction in Amazing Spider-Man. It's hard for established characters to have a successful monthly. She's an unknown.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
On the other hand, Ms. Marvel is supposed to be doing okay--at least in digital sales.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old October 17th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

Interesting....I did not know that. Personally for me I don't mind that. But again the knowing that it's ending is a good thing for me. especially with comic prices and planning out my monthly orders.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
I suspect that its the same reason event comics (paradoxically, limited series themselves) are popular. Many fans are invested in the universe and a miniseries about a minor or new character has little to no effect on the universe.