The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old October 7th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #1
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Default Fantastic Four - Marvel's First Family

I figure this would be a good a place as any to start up a Fantastic Four thread.
A way to talk about the latest issue, news and anything FF related.

So how's everyone feeling about the supposed cancellation?
I still don't buy it one bit.
If anything we'll be getting a relaunch.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old October 8th, 2014   TJLamb0518 is offline   #2
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I expect a relaunch as well, but man....I hope they give it a rest and find a new hook before going on again. I mean, the team breaks up? Yawn. Who doesn't know they're getting back together? A member loses their powers? Is Sue the only one that HASN'T happened to? Reed paying for mistakes he's made? Seriously, someone should really look into how he's the worlds stupidest genius.

Get the team back into the real uniforms.

Get the team back to being the First Family of Marvel.

Get the team back to being the "Imaginauts" Waid painted them as.

Take some time off, rethink the concept, define how you want them to be and THEN relaunch it.

I could do with a year or so without a steady FF book if it means the creators regain their focus.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old October 8th, 2014   chrisbenes is offline   #3
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

I expect a relaunch as well, but man....I hope they give it a rest and find a new hook before going on again. I mean, the team breaks up? Yawn. Who doesn't know they're getting back together? A member loses their powers? Is Sue the only one that HASN'T happened to? Reed paying for mistakes he's made? Seriously, someone should really look into how he's the worlds stupidest genius.

Take some time off, rethink the concept, define how you want them to be and THEN relaunch it.

I could do with a year or so without a steady FF book if it means the creators regain their focus.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
agree 100%

I never expected this to be gone for more than a year anyway. Use that time wisely

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old October 8th, 2014   Jorge Galvan is offline   #4
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

So how's everyone feeling about the supposed cancellation?
I still don't buy it one bit.
If anything we'll be getting a relaunch.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post

Let me put it my way. I have NOT Boughta FF book since...

Johnny Storm "died"

boo hoo "choke" "Sob"

Wot? He's Alive!?! AH.... Oh who gives a TOSS!!

Seriously, I there hasn't been a good much less a GREAT writer on FF for a long time. All the stories are repeating themselves, every NEW team has to do the OBLIGATORIAL DR DOOM arc. and GALACTUS ARC and create a new villian for the rogues gallery. and guess what it's all falling FLAT on it's collective arse!!!

I tried that "FF" with She-Hulk and Ant Man and after one issue, I said...

"NO MAS! NO MAS!" and I tapped out!!

I dunno, every thinks they have a plan in mind for the FF, but somehow it does not translate well.

Old October 8th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #5
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I like this a lot.

What I'm thinking or think should happen is, during the hiatus or whatever, place each member in a different area of Marvel.
Let them grow a bit and stretch their legs. Maybe just MAYBE, some newer developments or characterization can come of it.
But make sure it's outside of anything regular to them.

Ben: Somehow he ends up at the Jean Grey School. He'd be a teacher. No idea how.
Reed: Go full cosmic with him. I don't know where, but allow him to STRETCH his mind a bit.
Sue: Keep her in SHIELD like Time Runs out is showing. Place her in high authority and see what happens.
Johnny: Instead of Spider-Man let him pal around with a different hero. Maybe Nova or Moon Knight. Just to see what happens.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old October 8th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #6
Amentep

I think that so far its been a law of diminishing returns of Fantastic Four over the last two relaunches (mind you I liked FF w/Ant-Man, et al but don't consider that to be a Fantastic Four book - not in the way Hickmans FF/Fantastic Four was).

This relaunch hasn't been bad, but they've spent a lot of time getting the character to realize (which, I think only Ben has) that someone is doing this to them. Readers new it in issue 1, if not then very soon after. So its been a tough slog through in some respects.

I don't disagree that some time out of the limelight (and showing the characters in a non-FF context) might be worth doing.

Old October 8th, 2014   BART ALLEN is offline   #7
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

To me, The cancellation of the Fantastic Four, represents the end of the Marvel comics age, and Marvel being a Movie property company.

It began the Marvel age , this makes the age of Marvel over.
SO Long MARVEL COMICS, Hello MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old October 8th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #8
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

To me, The cancellation of the Fantastic Four, represents the end of the Marvel comics age, and Marvel being a Movie property company.

ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
The book has been cancelled and relaunched many times before...

Old October 8th, 2014   BART ALLEN is offline   #9
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

It looks like their will not be a f4 book for awile this time

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old October 9th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #10
Amentep

I'm not an expert on FF chronology, but haven't there been breaks before?

As I recall the original series ended Sept 1996, next series picked up as Heroes Reborn for 13 issues in November 1996 (ending November 1997) and the Heroes Return series started January of 1998? And again gone for about a year while Hickman's FF started?

Old October 9th, 2014   TJLamb0518 is offline   #11
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I like this a lot.

What I'm thinking or think should happen is, during the hiatus or whatever, place each member in a different area of Marvel.
Let them grow a bit and stretch their legs. Maybe just MAYBE, some newer developments or characterization can come of it.
But make sure it's outside of anything regular to them.

Ben: Somehow he ends up at the Jean Grey School. He'd be a teacher. No idea how.
Reed: Go full cosmic with him. I don't know where, but allow him to STRETCH his mind a bit.
Sue: Keep her in SHIELD like Time Runs out is showing. Place her in high authority and see what happens.
Johnny: Instead of Spider-Man let him pal around with a different hero. Maybe Nova or Moon Knight. Just to see what happens.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
I like the idea of one of them going to th Grey School for awhile, but I'd say Sue. Given how she's the mother of a mutant, ws instrumental with the Future Foundation and well....desperately in need of a story arc not involving Reed......

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old October 9th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #12
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

It looks like their will not be a f4 book for awile this time
ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
That hasn't been confirmed at all.
For all we know the title will relaunch a month later.

I like the idea of one of them going to th Grey School for awhile, but I'd say Sue. Given how she's the mother of a mutant, ws instrumental with the Future Foundation and well....desperately in need of a story arc not involving Reed......
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Actually... yeah that does sound better.
Also gives Franklin a bigger playground so to speak.

Old October 9th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #13
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I like this idea. Rest. Refocus.

I liked Hickman's run Fantastic Four and FF. Read a few issues of Fraction's run; it was ok, but it didn't grab me.

Old October 9th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #14
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
Let me see...nope, sky isn't falling.

Old October 9th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

Let me see...nope, sky isn't falling.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Besides we all know they sold out when they let DC distribute their books in the 50s...

Old October 9th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #16
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

I liked Hickman's run Fantastic Four and FF. Read a few issues of Fraction's run; it was ok, but it didn't grab me.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Fractions F4 was boring and... really had nothing to say.
FF was really fun though and just an all around enjoyable book.

Although I hated what they did with Doom.

On the other hand I LOVE what Robinson is doing with Doom and Val.