The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old September 9th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #1
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Default Marvel Unlimited Digital Comics

I signed up about a month ago, and have yet to read anything. I forgot how much the membership costs for the year, but it's a great value. For close to 2 yrs I've only read 2-3 Marvel titles. I'm ready to read more via M. Unlimited.

The biggest drawback that'll take a some adjustment is the 6-month lag. It shouldn't be too much a problem once I pass 6-month mark.

I know there's a Digital Comics thread already, but this is more specific where people dealing Marvel's 6-month lag can, hopefully, react/release/discuss/question/unload.

Old September 9th, 2014   Alan is offline   #2
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Been on it for a year and a half and it's a wonderful resource. Even though I still buy a number of Marvel titles "live" I can catch up with everything else that I want to there, plus of course huge amounts of their back catalogue. It's great to say "ok, Spiderman from #1 (well, Amazing Fantasy #15, and then on) and just download them on the spot and read them, or just choose things at random you've not seen in years, or never seen.

Saved me a fortune on trades too.

I just wish DC had a similar resource.

Old September 9th, 2014   Matches is offline   #3
Matches
stepping aside

Yea it's really great for reading both new and old Marvel books. Great value too, especially if you pay by the year.

Recent additions include Moon Knight #1, which is amazing. Black Widow #4 dropped this week too - haven't gotten to it yet but it's on the list.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 10th, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #4
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Been on it for a year and a half and it's a wonderful resource. Even though I still buy a number of Marvel titles "live" I can catch up with everything else that I want to there, plus of course huge amounts of their back catalogue. It's great to say "ok, Spiderman from #1 (well, Amazing Fantasy #15, and then on) and just download them on the spot and read them, or just choose things at random you've not seen in years, or never seen.

Saved me a fortune on trades too.

I just wish DC had a similar resource.
ddf
Alan View Post
I actually seach by publication date. I seached for January 1 1961 and have systematically read every Marvel book from FF #1 to Fall of 1964 in order. Plus I also read newer books too. It is just hands down the best value on the market. I still buy and read some books (mostly Greg Rucka books) which I will always continue to buy, but I also read a handful of DC books and Walking dead via Comixology and I just can't bring myself to buy them. Why would I go drop money on Comixology when there are more books then I'll ever be able to read that I've already paid for?

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old September 21st, 2014   Ralph Malph is offline   #5
Ralph Malph
Supporters

I've been keeping my eye on this since I first got my ipad. I love reading on Comixology, but the value of this makes it really tempting. Any differences you guys could tell me in how the books "read" on Marvel Unlimited vs. Comixology?

- A priest, rabbi, and duck walk into a bar and the bartendar says, "What is this, some kind of joke"
Old September 22nd, 2014   Alan is offline   #6
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Much the same actually, with a few extra bells and whistles (a soundtrack on a few comics even!).

I use both and you forget which one you are using at times.

And you can read pretty much anything. They haven't got absolutely everything up yet, (bit light on Daredevil for instance), but they do have nearly complete runs of lot of stuff.

Highly recommended!

Old September 22nd, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #7
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

I've been keeping my eye on this since I first got my ipad. I love reading on Comixology, but the value of this makes it really tempting. Any differences you guys could tell me in how the books "read" on Marvel Unlimited vs. Comixology?
ddf
Ralph Malph View Post
Ralph,

Let me say this.

I was the same way. I made my first foray into digital books with Comixology. I liked the fact that books were cheaper and that I didn't have to "store" them anywhere. I didn't have to hunt for back issues, they were all there. (Removing the Itunes functionality is horrible, but a story for another day).

I avoided MU because I heard it didn't work and had all kinds of problems. When they came out with the update I downloaded it right away.

My intention was to read Marvel books there and pick up a few DC/Image books on Comixology. That has never come to fruition. The shear amount of content available that you have already paid for makes the thought of spending money on Comixology something I just can't do. If you can get over the "collecting" side of it and just read the books it is amazing. It is literally the best thing I've ever done.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old September 23rd, 2014   Matches is offline   #8
Matches
stepping aside

ddf
Ralph Malph View Post
It's similar. The ComiXology reader is IMO superior. The resolution is better, particularly on a later-model iPad. Unlimited's not bad by any means, but the resolution on the ComiXology reader is amazing.

Unlimited allows you to download up to 12 comics to your device for offline reading, whereas with ComiXology you're limited only by the amount of space on your device.

Aside from that, they're pretty comparable experiences. I use and enjoy both apps.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 23rd, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #9
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

It's similar. The ComiXology reader is IMO superior.
ddf
Matches View Post
I will second this. MU's value proposition is clearly related to the amount of content and the cost.

Old October 5th, 2014   Ralph Malph is offline   #10
Ralph Malph
Supporters

I appreciate the info! I think the MCU thing is looking like a good idea once I get through all my comixology purchases...and my pile of unread trades....plus all the pile of books....yeesh, I gotta get reading

- A priest, rabbi, and duck walk into a bar and the bartendar says, "What is this, some kind of joke"