The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old September 2nd, 2014   StarFlash is offline   #1
StarFlash
Geoffan

Default All - New Invaders title in trouble?

I was reading that All-New Invaders is possibly on the chopping black at Marvel. Now I have really been enjoying this title....but it doesn't seem that, if true, that Marvel is really giving this title a chance. Like New Warriors...another title that I was enjoying. Do you think that Marvel is less anxious to give non-Avengers or non X- books a chance? Who else is concerned about the possible cancelation of All-New Invaders? Anyone else been enjoying it as much and I am and see the potential there?

Total SpeedFreak!
Old September 2nd, 2014   Danny Perkins is offline   #2
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

My opinion is if they are just going to kill these niche books if they don't come out of the blocks like gangbusters they may as well not bother.

I don't want this to sound bad, and I am sure you are enjoying the book, but can you honestly say you are surprised if they book gets cancelled? 95% of books are DOA when issue #1 hits the stands. I'm not saying this is a good thing. Personally if I wasn't willing to give a book 25 issues at minimum I wouldn't even green light it.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old September 2nd, 2014   Matches is offline   #3
Matches
stepping aside

All of Marvel's titles are on a season-to-season basis now. None of them are going to go more than a year or two without being "cancelled". The ones that are commercially successful will be relaunched periodically. The ones that aren't will simply see their stories come to an end.

re: Invaders specifically, I tried the first issue but could not get into it. Given recent happenings with Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes, and Namor, it would not surprise me if Marvel views those characters as better-utilized elsewhere.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 2nd, 2014   StarFlash is offline   #4
StarFlash
Geoffan

I don't know. ..I have been enjoying the interaction between the characters and have been looking forward to what James Robinson has been saying that he's had planned. Especially with Toro. I think this is a solid book and like to have it as a place that these characters can interact and have a presence since most of them don't have solo books.

Total SpeedFreak!
Old September 2nd, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #5
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I don't know. ..I have been enjoying the interaction between the characters and have been looking forward to what James Robinson has been saying that he's had planned. Especially with Toro. I think this is a solid book and like to have it as a place that these characters can interact and have a presence since most of them don't have solo books.
ddf
StarFlash View Post
Maybe it will just start over with a new #1 and a different artist...

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old September 2nd, 2014   mego joe is offline   #6
mego joe
Geoffan

I wouldn't be surprised, IMO the stupid Original Sin tie in slowed down the momentum for me. I like these characters though and it's one of the few Marvel books I get so I'd definitely be disappointed.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old September 2nd, 2014   Alan is offline   #7
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I thought it was awful and prime cancellation fodder from issue 1. Then again I thought Spectacular Foes of Spiderman was brilliant, but also would never survive. Even Hawkeye is going, but that appears so infrequently these days it will be hard to notice the difference.

But Invaders? Never gonna make it.

Old September 3rd, 2014   Matches is offline   #8
Matches
stepping aside

ddf
StarFlash View Post
Robinson might benefit from a bit less long-term planning. Sometimes it seems like he's still following the Starman template where he's got a long-term plan that involves a really slow build, but he gets his legs taken out from under him before he can pay it off. I'm not sure the current marketplace and editorial climate really allow for that kind of storytelling.

I've no idea whether Invaders is ending or continuing or relaunching - Marvel is making a point of re-branding Mighty Avengers and giving it a second season so maybe they'll do the same with Invaders. If you're digging it I hope you get a chance to continue digging it.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 3rd, 2014   Jorge Galvan is offline   #9
Jorge Galvan
Supporters

I hate to say this, but if the book is going to survive, they might need to replace Robinson. With who?

I honestly thing, MARK WAID is the right choice for this book.

Old September 3rd, 2014   Astro@work is offline   #10
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Robinson might benefit from a bit less long-term planning. Sometimes it seems like he's still following the Starman template where he's got a long-term plan that involves a really slow build, but he gets his legs taken out from under him before he can pay it off. I'm not sure the current marketplace and editorial climate really allow for that kind of storytelling.

I've no idea whether Invaders is ending or continuing or relaunching - Marvel is making a point of re-branding Mighty Avengers and giving it a second season so maybe they'll do the same with Invaders. If you're digging it I hope you get a chance to continue digging it.
ddf
Matches View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head! This is currently the only Marvel book I'm getting, and I'm a longtime Robinson reader dating back to Starman and JSA...but these days readers (and comic companies) just aren't interested in giving long-term support like they used to.

I can see all the groundwork Robinson is doing:
-slow introduction of new members
-development of Toro into a more unique hero via the inhuman connection
-hints about future stores
...but to your point none of it will pay off if the plug is pulled early. These days a book has to hit the ground running or it won't ever make it past issue#9. This is a big part of why new concepts don't ever seem to take off anymore....or even old concepts that have been off the shelf too long.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old September 3rd, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #11
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
Matches View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head! This is currently the only Marvel book I'm getting, and I'm a longtime Robinson reader dating back to Starman and JSA...but these days readers (and comic companies) just aren't interested in giving long-term support like they used to.

I can see all the groundwork Robinson is doing:
-slow introduction of new members
-development of Toro into a more unique hero via the inhuman connection
-hints about future stores
...but to your point none of it will pay off if the plug is pulled early. These days a book has to hit the ground running or it won't ever make it past issue#9. This is a big part of why new concepts don't ever seem to take off anymore....or even old concepts that have been off the shelf too long.
ddf
I'd say kudos to Robinson and his editor for greenlighting his take. Unfortunately, basically, not enough people want to read this. Market always wins.

Robinson needs to have more short-term storytelling plans to ensure he can have a long game.

Old September 3rd, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #12
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I'd say kudos to Robinson and his editor for greenlighting his take. Unfortunately, basically, not enough people want to read this. Market always wins.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
However, credit is a double-edge sword. Robinson and his editor are at fault for lack of readership and cancellation. I don't fault Marvel or any publisher for canceling any title that isn't selling enough.

Old September 3rd, 2014   mego joe is offline   #13
mego joe
Geoffan

I hate to say this, but if the book is going to survive, they might need to replace Robinson. With who?

I honestly thing, MARK WAID is the right choice for this book.
ddf
Jorge Galvan View Post
Or Roy Thomas...

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old September 3rd, 2014   jafabian is offline   #14
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I've been collecting it. I'd say it's better than half the books on the stands right now. However there's some that I question exactly why they're being published in the first place. I'm disappointed that Toro isn't a part of this right now. Maybe that'll change. If anything Namor should be the one to blow off the team based on what his current status is in the Marvel Universe but without him the book wouldn't be the Invaders.

I've always wanted the team to be around today and I'm very happy that they're finally making that happen but I've been surprised at the direction they're going in creatively.

Old September 3rd, 2014   HushedRuin is offline   #15
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

What's the hook of the book? I honestly have no idea what it's about, but feel like it tied in with 'Inhumanity' or 'Infinity' or something. When people talk about it though, they seem like either 'Invaders' fans or James Robinson fans - not a lot of "first time reading Invaders" talk. I think that was the problem here. It was a book for established fans and wasn't aimed at, "here's why the Invaders are awesome!!!"

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old September 4th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #16
Amentep

I think, ultimately, there is a problem with purpose. Gone are the days (and we can argue if this is good or bad) where a handful of character can be thrown together to make a team and no one cares as long as the team kicks some rear.

And I think - even though I've enjoyed Invaders - the book really hasn't given much of a reason for it to exist, starting as it does as a temporary return, then quickly to the Jim Hammond show.