The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old October 12th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #1
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Default Fantastic Four, FF to End With #16

James Robinson Reboot Rumored

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old October 12th, 2013   Whealer is offline   #2
Whealer
Multiverse refugee

This sounds like a book I will want to get. Can't wait if it is true.

Don't tase me, bro.
Old October 12th, 2013   chasm is offline   #3
chasm
Master Geoffan

Why does every change of the guard have to be a reboot? Can't the creative team simply take the reins and make subtle changes along the way?

I'm not a Fraction fan, so I dropped the FF titles after Hickman left. Robinson will definitely get me back on board. His family focus in Starman will play nicely here. Maybe he has a new take on Johnny Storm (like portraying him as a grownup instead of a male Paris Hilton?). Heating up Reed & Sue's relationship? Maybe make Ben more than a one-dimensional palooka? Keep Franklin & Valeria as major players in the book. Perhaps come up with something different than the 700th battle with Dr. Doom?

Old October 12th, 2013   Bill_Nailer is offline   #4
Bill_Nailer

Maybe I will check out the (yet again another Marvel) reboot. Matt Fractions Fantastic Four was IMO terrible. I do like Leonard Kirk's art.

Bill recommends: Fans of Tellos should buy Skyward from Action Lab. You won't regret it.
Old October 12th, 2013   SamIAm is offline   #5
SamIAm
Geoffan

I'm not keen on the idea of a new number one, Personally I'm all for going back to the 600+ numbering. Super excited/pleased by this creative team though. Seems like a really good fit in my mind.

Also does this mean FF isn't coming back? Don't think I'd mind if it didn't, seems like a good time to end it. Maybe use the FF characters as a backup in the main book?

Old October 12th, 2013   Simon DelMonte is offline   #6
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Maybe it's just time to get rid of numbers. They don't mean anything now, do they?

Simon DelMonte
Old October 12th, 2013   RoseWilson is offline   #7
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

Fraction's FF books have been really strong IMO. Pretty much kept the ball rolling at an equal level to Hickman. Sad to see him go though I hope Hawkeye is still going? Feels like it's been forever for an issue of that.

Robinson? Starman is one of my all time favorite Super Hero books but his more recent work hasn't really lived up to it IMO. Hope he can turn it around here.

Old October 13th, 2013   chasm is offline   #8
chasm
Master Geoffan

I'm not an Allred fan at all, but something about him penciling the Silver Surfer is intriguing. I'll definitely pick up the first issue.

Old October 13th, 2013   superfriend is offline   #9
superfriend
laughs at comics

Maybe it's just time to get rid of numbers. They don't mean anything now, do they?
ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
i think they still have a very potent, proven ability in the marketplace to spike fallow series when reduced back to #1.

but then #0s also showed us that they work.

the shine may've come off the .x numbering scheme i think.

and it's been so long since the -x numbering gimmick was used so perhaps that has no real power anymore.

if a series could reach the #25, #50, #75, or #100 mark those might still prove to be effective but "anniversary issues" appear to be a decent substitute.

i think there is still a formidable amount of the comic buying population (or maybe it's all just retailers or better yet publishers who put a great deal of emphasis on them) that fixate on numbering that keeps it a viable instrument.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old October 13th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #10
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Allred on Surfer? Sweet. Preview image looks amazing!

Old October 13th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #11
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Guess I'm going to have to get into the FF now...

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old October 14th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #12
Amentep

Huh, well that's a change I thought they'd already announced new writers for the FF and Fantastic Four titles. A bit bummed that the current titles won't be followed up on and instead a new direction (that appears to drop FF - the title I was enjoying most of the two under Fraction).

Old October 14th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #13
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Why does every change of the guard have to be a reboot? Can't the creative team simply take the reins and make subtle changes along the way?
ddf
chasm View Post

Agreed. As a collector I'm wondering if multiple #1 issues actually devalue the overall run? Maybe the first issues have a decent value due to whomever the creative team is but ongoing it becomes much ado about nothing IMO.

Old October 14th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #14
Amentep

Since I don't care about the value of my comics, I don't really care what number they use. It could be FANTASTIC FOUR ISSUE MAGENTA 1001100 for all I care (heh that makes me think, Avengers AI should have totally used Binary numbers for their Issue numbers...)

Old October 15th, 2013   Danny Perkins is offline   #15
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

So over the "creative team change = new #1"

But that ship has obviously sailed. They lost me when they ended the legacy titles back in 98. I'd probably still be reading all those books if they had kept the old numbering.

So in some ways I guess I'm thankful.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old October 15th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #16
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Original numbering and new #1's don't matter to me. Good/great stories matter.