The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old August 25th, 2013   leonmallett is offline   #1
leonmallett
comics fan

Default Freedom Fighters - what next?

I recently re-read the Ray, Phantom Lady and Doll Man, and Human Bomb mini series. It occurred to me after doing so that the books were very firmly set in the DCU even though when first reading them it did not quite 'feel' that way at first, just goes to show how much I missed at my first readings.

Anyway, with those 4 title characters, the re-imagined Uncle Sam, as well as the cameo by the new Neon, it seems Gray and Palmiotti were gearing up to a new Freedom Fighters, yet since the Human Bomb mini I can recall no other mention of the Quality/Freedom Fighters stable of characters - have i missed anything?

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old August 25th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #2
jafabian
Im not dead.

Was the new FF pre or post nu52?

Old August 25th, 2013   leonmallett is offline   #3
leonmallett
comics fan

Was the new FF pre or post nu52?
ddf
jafabian View Post
The last FF was pre New 52.

The recent Ray, Phantom lady & doll Man, and Human Bomb mini series are new 52, and not yet officially Freedom Fighters, but Palmiotti and Gray all but call them that in HB #4.
Last edited by leonmallett; August 25th, 2013 at 02:48 PM.

Old August 25th, 2013   BrianT is offline   #4
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

They should give The Ray the Lobo treatment and do Happy or Ray. The fact that none of the above minis have been collected means there's likely no future for them. I don't think any sold well.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old August 26th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #5
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I thought THE RAY was the only "fun" book DC's put out since the new 52. It was everything BLUE BEETLE should have been.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old August 26th, 2013   leonmallett is offline   #6
leonmallett
comics fan

I thought THE RAY was the only "fun" book DC's put out since the new 52. It was everything BLUE BEETLE should have been.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
That is why I enjoyed it; had a lightness as a counter-point to the grim new 52 that turned me off books like Blue Beetle (despite enjoying the previous volume).

Old August 26th, 2013   leonmallett is offline   #7
leonmallett
comics fan

They should give The Ray the Lobo treatment and do Happy or Ray. The fact that none of the above minis have been collected means there's likely no future for them. I don't think any sold well.
ddf
BrianT View Post
To keep rebooting the reboots is a sign of messy direction to me, it isn't just Lobo. So far:

Batwing
Stormwatch
Lobo

Any other examples where the reboots/New 52 starting iterations have since been rebooted?

Old August 26th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #8
Amentep

To keep rebooting the reboots is a sign of messy direction to me, it isn't just Lobo. So far:

Batwing
Stormwatch
Lobo

Any other examples where the reboots/New 52 starting iterations have since been rebooted?
ddf
leonmallett View Post
Voodoo had a soft reboot (the character we'd been reading about was revealed to be an imposter of the "real" Voodoo; her and all the supporting cast was killed off before the series ended at least if I understood those last few issues).

Didn't Firestorm also do a soft reboot?

OnTopic - I thought the Ray was the best of the lot as it was pretty fun. Phantom Lady and Doll Man was a dull slog through a grim origin. I seem to recall that it was a very frustrating read as well with stuff not really making full sense.

Old August 26th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #9
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

ddf
leonmallett View Post
::coughcough:: Hawkman ::coughcough::

Old August 26th, 2013   JRM is offline   #10
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
And in a perverse way through in the LSH, though it was more of an unbooting them away to make way for the all new, all grim JL3K.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 26th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #11
mego joe
Geoffan

ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
I thought of that too.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old August 26th, 2013   BrianT is offline   #12
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Batwing
Stormwatch
Lobo

ddf
leonmallett View Post
I think the lack of direction is well established. That said, the only way you'll see those characters again is either a reboot or Gray/Palmiotti using them in another book on occasion. Which is your preference?

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old August 26th, 2013   midnitedoctor is offline   #13
midnitedoctor

When I read The Ray, i got the feeling that it took place on a different Earth because it was established that b4 (BATMAN) SUPERMAN, that THERE WERE NO "SUPERHEROES". However, it states in The Ray #1, that b4 Lucien, there was another established hero called The Ray. If I recall correctly, there was never mention of anyone else except the heroes that would eventually be called "The Freedom Fighters". It has been forever since I read the books so correct me if I'm mistaken.

Old August 27th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #14
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

When I read The Ray, i got the feeling that it took place on a different Earth because it was established that b4 (BATMAN) SUPERMAN, that THERE WERE NO "SUPERHEROES". However, it states in The Ray #1, that b4 Lucien, there was another established hero called The Ray. If I recall correctly, there was never mention of anyone else except the heroes that would eventually be called "The Freedom Fighters". It has been forever since I read the books so correct me if I'm mistaken.
ddf
midnitedoctor View Post
The "other Ray" Lucien was reading about was in a comic book.

Old August 27th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #15
mego joe
Geoffan

ddf
midnitedoctor View Post
Lois Lane and Metropolis were mentioned in Phantom Lady.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me