The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 13th, 2013   imarriedsatanII is offline   #1
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

Default Is it a lack of interest in DC these days, or did something else kill the boards?

Just wondering if everyone else is feeling saddened/disappointed/largely uninterested, or what regarding DC, and if that is what has killed the Comicbloc. Or do you feel it was something else? Or a combination of other things?

"Something profound" - Me
Old May 13th, 2013   leonmallett is offline   #2
leonmallett
comics fan

I think Comic Bloc's problems are that it is a dwindling mode of interaction (Forums), the down-times have not helped, and there may be a degree of dissatisfaction with DC from a section of fans on the Comic Bloc with DC's current direction. It does not appear that the 'new' fans/consumers from the relaunch have also come to places like the Comic Bloc.

Add in there seem less creators here than there once was, and that is another nail in the proverbial coffin.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old May 13th, 2013   RoseWilson is offline   #3
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I don't know I tend to post more in marvel/independent and that seems dead too. Since it was down for a few days for the re format or whatever it was it seems not to have come back with the same verve.

Old May 13th, 2013   opusrph is offline   #4
opusrph
Geoffan

I only look into the Bloc occasionally now. The Nu52 and the MarvelBendisverse pretty much killed my interest in comics 2 years ago. The only comic I still follow is Girl Genius.

He's angry...we're kind of using him as the team's Wolverine...being a cute little dragon, that's pretty funny. People on fire tend to stop laughing.
Old May 13th, 2013   Bizarro #98 is offline   #5
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Add in there seem less creators here than there once was, and that is another nail in the proverbial coffin.
ddf
leonmallett View Post
Really, that's at the root of it. ComicBloc has never been the board with the most/fastest discussion. But many were drawn here because we had creators who were willing to interact with readers.

But then Twitter happened. With no creators to talk to, why post here instead of one of the bigger comic book message boards where you'll get replies to your posts much more frequently?

Another problem is that many of the people who have stuck with ComicBloc instead of moving to another message board do so because they have personalities that make them slow to accept change. When you get a bunch of people who don't like change together with no dissenting voice, belligerence escalates. This has resulted in ComicBloc becoming a rather hostile environment for new readers who are excited about current comics.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old May 13th, 2013   Simon DelMonte is offline   #6
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

I still like it here. I much prefer forums to Twizzler or Facebox.

Even if I am in the minority in liking the New 52.

Simon DelMonte
Old May 13th, 2013   Eric Q is offline   #7
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

It was the butler in the Random Junk forum with the revolver.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old May 13th, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #8
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

i check in most everyday....but i don't have a lot to say....

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old May 13th, 2013   Arcademan/PixieP is offline   #9
Arcademan/PixieP
Zettai daijōbu da yo

Another problem is that many of the people who have stuck with ComicBloc instead of moving to another message board do so because they have personalities that make them slow to accept change. When you get a bunch of people who don't like change together with no dissenting voice, belligerence escalates. This has resulted in ComicBloc becoming a rather hostile environment for new readers who are excited about current comics.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
Heh. You think this place's veterans are hostile to new folks, head over to the Neo-Geo Forum. This place is a tea party compared to the way n00bs are treated there and the place is still going strong despite SNK being out of business for over a decade.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
Neo-Geo Forum: Official WWE Thread- Results and news!
Old May 13th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #10
Amentep

I think the spammers don't help.

The fact that there was a big central core group that seem absent now these days probably didn't help.

The downtimes didn't help either.

And probably disatisfaction with the comics themselves are in there as well.

But for me, the big thing is that I don't get to the comic shop every month, so I get a stack of comics that most everyone has already discussed a couple of months ago.

Actually I thought stuff had gotten busier recently before the forums went down recently.

Old May 14th, 2013   Gremlin is offline   #11
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

Thumbs down

Just wondering if everyone else is feeling saddened/disappointed/largely uninterested, or what regarding DC, and if that is what has killed the Comicbloc. Or do you feel it was something else? Or a combination of other things?
ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
I certainly think that this new layout was not a genius idea...

X-With all due respect...though, I personally am not happy with DC...
Last edited by Gremlin; May 14th, 2013 at 12:56 AM.

Old May 14th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #12
Dr_Decipher

It could be the fact that all the moderators in these forums are now priggish and oppressive Pacific Northwesterners who can't control their natural PNW compulsion to be exclusivist snobs and ban anyone for any little thing. They've run an awful lot of otherwise interesting people off over time.

There's that.

Why are the shallowest simpletons always the ones in control?
Old May 14th, 2013   flashsuper is offline   #13
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

It could be the fact that all the moderators in these forums are now priggish and oppressive Pacific Northwesterners who can't control their natural PNW compulsion to be exclusivist snobs and ban anyone for any little thing. They've run an awful lot of otherwise interesting people off over time.

There's that.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post
Hmm. You have only 48 posts, which would mean that you wouldn't really know who was run off...UNLESS you are someone else posting as a new person. Whatever the case may be, I expect some will not be pleased with your behavior.

I have had a rebirth.
Old May 14th, 2013   Lady Obie is offline   #14
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

I think the creator exodus is a lot of it.

For the 1st few years, this essentially was the Geoff Johns message board.

But then when Geoff set up his main hub on Twitter a few years ago I strongly suspect a lot of his fans followed him there and left these boards with him.

I still like to check in and post here when I can because even if these boards seem a bit overmoderated, they're actually pretty nice because of it.

Jade: I'll take care of it for you, Obie.

Atom: Obie!? You call a thing like that--OBIE??

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old May 14th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #15
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Hmm. You have only 48 posts, which would mean that you wouldn't really know who was run off...UNLESS you are someone else posting as a new person. Whatever the case may be, I expect some will not be pleased with your behavior.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
Yeah....that was discovered early on. He was Doctor Decipher or some such before.

Didn't see a reason he left before. He wasn't banned or anything.

See a reason now, though.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old May 14th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #16
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

There's that.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post
Who, pray tell, did they ban?

No, neve rmind....not something for public consumption.

In my best Keith Dallas voice, if you have a problem with the way the boards are moderated, you should raise those concerns to an Admin or other mods for consideration.

In my best me voice, hey, if you're not happy....there's the door.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio