The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 3rd, 2012   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default Karen Berger has announced she is stepping down from her post after nearly 20 years

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42478

Karen Berger, Executive Editor & Senior Vice President of DC Entertainment’s Vertigo brand, has announced she is stepping down from her post after nearly 20 years at the helm of the award-winning literary imprint. She will remain on through March 2013 where she will be assisting in the transition to a new leadership team which includes veteran staffers whom she has mentored over the years.
ddf
Full Press Release at the link.

Old December 3rd, 2012   JRM is offline   #2
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42478

Full Press Release at the link.
ddf
Amentep View Post
I guess a thank you would be warranted. Karen has been a driving force at DC since the late 1970's, as stated she has been at DC for 33 years. Think back to her pre-Vertigo titles such as LSH, Swamp Thing (brought Alan Moore and started the British Invasioin), and I believe Amethyst, from the top of my head. It is too bad that she wasn't named as Paul's replacement and was currently running the Great Ship DC.

Wishing her well on her retirement!

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old December 3rd, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #3
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

End of an era. 'Nuff said.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old December 3rd, 2012   Frankenstein is offline   #4
Frankenstein
Keyboard Warrior

Wishing her well on her retirement!
ddf
JRM View Post
She may have left DC, but she sure ain't retiring! Look for another announcement early in the new year...

The best comics-related reviews on YouTube!

http://http://www.youtube.com/user/KapowComicBookShow
Old December 3rd, 2012   Alan is offline   #5
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

She will be a very useful aquisition for a company like Image, or dark Horse. She must have a hell of a little black book.

Old December 3rd, 2012   Jake1823 is offline   #6
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

She'll be fine, honestly. So many people respect her that she won't have to wait long for job offers. That's if she doesn't want to start something up herself. I wish her well.

Where is everybody?
Old December 3rd, 2012   Simon DelMonte is offline   #7
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Sad news for Vertigo, but it does make sense for her to move on after so long, if she just wants to do something new. Just hoping it's on her terms and not a corporate move.

Wouldn't be surprised if she writes something instead of going back to editing, just because she never has and must have some ideas of her own.

Simon DelMonte
Old December 4th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #8
jafabian
Iím not dead.

From Newsarama: Comics Industry Reacts to KAREN BERGER's DC Departure

Old December 4th, 2012   5andman is offline   #9
5andman
Master Geoffan

Jeff Lemire: There was a point that I would have quit reading comics were it not for Karen Berger and everything she was building at DC and Vertigo.
ddf
That parallels my feelings about Vertigo.

Old December 4th, 2012   michealdark is offline   #10
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

It kinda makes sense considering the wall between DC and Vertigo's finally gone. I wonder what that means for the rest of the line though. I would hate to see Fairest/Fables go bye bye now.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old December 4th, 2012   RoseWilson is offline   #11
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I'd echo that but with Unwritten. Vertigo for me is not what it once was by a long shot. For me the Sandman, Hellblazer, Books of Magic days of my teens will always be the golden years. Y the Last man was brilliant too. More of the types of books I needed Vertigo for back then are put out by Image or Dark Horse now. Still I'd hate to see the whole line gone.

Old December 4th, 2012   michealdark is offline   #12
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Yeah. Vertigo is their to allow their creators to do creator-owned work. If it goes, what does that mean for creator-owned work at DC? Especially for those with exclusives?

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old December 4th, 2012   manwithnoname is offline   #13
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

no good feelings about this. seems like the heads at DC have been slowly dismantling Vertigo for several years now.

Vertigo is synonomous with quality, boldness, & courage.

Old December 4th, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #14
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Yeah. Vertigo is their to allow their creators to do creator-owned work. If it goes, what does that mean for creator-owned work at DC? Especially for those with exclusives?
ddf
michealdark View Post
It was gone a long time ago.

At one point in the last decade, then-Senior VP of Legal Business Development at DC Comics, Paula Lowitt was boasting in a meeting about the richness of story at Vertigo comics, as a defense against the line losing money for DC Comics. Then-President CEO of Warner Bros Entertainment, Alan Horn asked why DC and Warner werenít developing more of the books into movies then. Lowitt mentioned that DC didnít necessarily control all of the media rights, but that was one reason why they got such great stories in the first place. Horn asked why they would create a contract that saw the company lose money on almost every book, hope to make it on the collections, and not control every media right going? And as a result of that meeting, Horn saw to it that the Vertigo contracts changed so that DC would have a stronger hold over how and where the comics get exploited.

Since then, Neil Gaiman created no new properties for DC. Neither did Garth Ennis. Neither did Warren Ellis. DC Vertigo lost their major stars to Avatar, Image, Dynamite, Marvel (briefly) and other media.

(more at #Vertigone?)

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old December 4th, 2012   chasm is offline   #15
chasm
Master Geoffan

Once again accountants win the day and creativity withers on the vine. You see it in cinema, on Broadway, television, popular music and publishing. Instead of innovation we get endless remakes and repurposing of pre-sold commodities. It's all about pushing product and bottom lines. A sad reflection on our culture.

Old December 5th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #16
Amentep

The hilarious thing (IMO) about the new contract was that Warners proceeded not to do anything with the media rights they had managed to get.

Sometimes I can't help but feel the company is totally clueless when it comes to doing anything with their comic book series in any media.