Old November 21st, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Arrow Geoff talks Throne of Atlantis, Aquaman and Justice League

From CBR: Geoff Johns & "Justice League" Reach Aquaman's "Throne Of Atlantis"

Old November 21st, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #2
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I thought GEOFF JOHNS Explains JL-AQUAMAN Crossover THRONE OF ATLANTIS was slightly more..."informative"...

Ok, none of these articles were very informative. If anything they show you just how out of touch Geoff is with the fans and what they want.

Johns: Orm isn't going to be an outright villain. He's actually a pretty complicated character, much like Sinestro or Black Adam or Captain Cold.
ddf

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old November 21st, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #3
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

We get it. If he likes the villains so much, than why not write a villain book? Readers want to read about heroes and sometimes we just want a villain we can outright HATE. They all don't have to be gray, multifaceted characters - because after a while it feels like we're reading the same character/story over and over again.
Nrama: Is this comparable to the type of wars you've had in Green Lantern. Do you see similarities to the stories about these ocean-based stories to space-based stories?

Johns: Maybe in the sense of scope, but the difference here is that Atlantis is a single entity. It's led by a single person with Orm. He's not known as Ocean Master yet. He actually earns that name in this storyline, and we'll see why.

Space is endless. There are all sorts of different societies and beings. But this story is very personal for Arthur.

I don't know how to describe it really. Maybe in terms of Shakespearean epic comic book-y stuff. That's close. But it's very unique.
ddf
To you, the writer it may come off as very unique, but as to a reader it still comes off as "seen it/read that". Just because the stories are told at a snail's pace doesn't mean enough time has gone by to differentiate them.
Nrama: With Justice League #17, solicitations indicate the team is expanding. Is that related to what happens in this storyline?

Johns: The expansion of the team is... you'll have to read the story and find out what happens and why. In issue #17, it's an extra long issue. We'll have no back-up in that issue. It's going to be the whole conclusion. Aquaman #17 will be an epilogue to that.
ddf
And this is why Marvel outsells DC. The whole "wait and see" bit is OLD. DC has proven time and time again that the end result never lives up to the hype. You know why UNCANNY AVENGERS sells so well? Because Marvel doesn't have any problem throwing a bone to the fans, hell releasing line-ups of the team before the story sees print already ensured them of many readers who weren't going to pick up the book until they saw Sunfire and Wasp. Every time Geoff pulls a "wait and see" it's not only a potential letdown, it again also shows how much he doesn't get it when it comes down to selling books and what the fans want. Throw them a bone and name other than "Katana" or "Vibe" if you want them to get excited. What's going on with the Atom? Are you trying telling me the sole purpose of the fans buying JL is by keeping them in suspense if Ryan Choi is going to make a debut or not?
Nrama: Any chance we're going to see Aqualad?

Johns: You will see other Atlanteans, but I don't want to say who yet.
ddf
Another missed opportunity. Again, is the sole purpose to get fans to buy AQUAMAN is by keeping them in suspense over whether or not they're going to see Garth, Vulko, Atlanna, Tula, or Lori Lemaris? Hell, if you want this book to see the Top Ten Best Sellers again, I'd start spitting out a name or two.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old November 22nd, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #4
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

We get it. If he likes the villains so much, than why not write a villain book? Readers want to read about heroes and sometimes we just want a villain we can outright HATE. They all don't have to be gray, multifaceted characters - because after a while it feels like we're reading the same character/story over and over again.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
There was Darkseid, his skin?..never mind...

And this is why Marvel outsells DC. The whole "wait and see" bit is OLD. DC has proven time and time again that the end result never lives up to the hype. You know why UNCANNY AVENGERS sells so well? Because Marvel doesn't have any problem throwing a bone to the fans, hell releasing line-ups of the team before the story sees print already ensured them of many readers who weren't going to pick up the book until they saw Sunfire and Wasp. Every time Geoff pulls a "wait and see" it's not only a potential letdown, it again also shows how much he doesn't get it when it comes down to selling books and what the fans want. Throw them a bone and name other than "Katana" or "Vibe" if you want them to get excited. What's going on with the Atom? Are you trying telling me the sole purpose of the fans buying JL is by keeping them in suspense if Ryan Choi is going to make a debut or not?Another missed opportunity. Again, is the sole purpose to get fans to buy AQUAMAN is by keeping them in suspense over whether or not they're going to see Garth, Vulko, Atlanna, Tula, or Lori Lemaris? Hell, if you want this book to see the Top Ten Best Sellers again, I'd start spitting out a name or two.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Seems like a catch-22, even if he shares details, it could be spoiling some readers and still has the problem of living up to the hype.

Every time Geoff pulls a "wait and see" it's not only a potential letdown, it again also shows how much he doesn't get it when it comes down to selling books and what the fans want.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Fans don't always know what they want.

Throw them a bone and name other than "Katana" or "Vibe" if you want them to get excited. What's going on with the Atom? Are you trying telling me the sole purpose of the fans buying JL is by keeping them in suspense if Ryan Choi is going to make a debut or not?Another missed opportunity. Again, is the sole purpose to get fans to buy AQUAMAN is by keeping them in suspense over whether or not they're going to see Garth, Vulko, Atlanna, Tula, or Lori Lemaris? Hell, if you want this book to see the Top Ten Best Sellers again, I'd start spitting out a name or two.
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
While there are no A-level characters there a few lower level fan favorites.

In my mind, the problem aren't the characters, it's whether Geoff can do something interesting with this title and the characters to make readers want to read it.

Even if he were to name characters, I don't think it would help much. I'm sure there are Garth fans but I doubt it would boost sales much.

For me, I'm finding that most comic book writers and franchise management to be disappointing in a myriad of ways. One of them is that they stretch out the story too much without giving anything noteworthy in each chapter.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old November 22nd, 2012   JRM is offline   #5
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

For me, I'm finding that most comic book writers and franchise management to be disappointing in a myriad of ways. One of them is that they stretch out the story too much without giving anything noteworthy in each chapter.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
Eric - few truer statements have ever been made - in any thread, at any time - than this gem. It should be quoted and posted in the office of every writer and editor in comics.

JIm

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old November 27th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #6
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I don't know...this interview didn't do anything to make me care about the crossover or each book. I am probably gonna drop Aquaman and the only reason I still buy JL is for the fantastic Shazam back up. Otherwise...not a fan.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.