The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old October 15th, 2012   chasm is offline   #1
chasm
Master Geoffan

Default Legion Lost #16 - FINAL ISSUE!

Whoo-hoo! This crappy title has finally been cancelled. Sorry that the creative team will be out of work, but let's face it...this was a flimsy premise poorly executed.

Now we have to undo the damage done to these beloved characters. I propose the time lost Legionnaires throw themselves on a bomb to save millions, die and are revealed to be clones of the original characters, who are held in stasis in the 31st century that they never left. A mysteriously revived Green Lantern Rond Vidar rescues them and brings them home to a grateful Legion.

Harvest's origin is finally revealed and quickly forgotten since nobody cares. He/it fades into oblivion with the likes of Kite-man & Rainbow Rider.

Buh-bye!

Old October 15th, 2012   mmk123 is offline   #2
mmk123
Geoffan

I do hope that we do see these characters return to the 31st century soon. I wanted to like this book but it always seemed that the characters did nothing but bitch and moan and complain and it never made sense that they did not contact Superman.

Old October 15th, 2012   chasm is offline   #3
chasm
Master Geoffan

I guarantee you that we'll see the likes of Wildfire, Dawnstar, Timber Wolf, Tellus, Tyroc and Chameleon Girl in the 31st century in a matter of weeks after Legion Lost bites the dust. They are too popular & Paul Levitz has done too much characterization to see them fade into oblivion.

Their reappearance might even goose up Legion of Superheroes sales numbers. These are longtime core characters.

Old October 15th, 2012   JRM is offline   #4
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Whoo-hoo! This crappy title has finally been cancelled. Sorry that the creative team will be out of work, but let's face it...this was a flimsy premise poorly executed.

Now we have to undo the damage done to these beloved characters. I propose the time lost Legionnaires throw themselves on a bomb to save millions, die and are revealed to be clones of the original characters, who are held in stasis in the 31st century that they never left. A mysteriously revived Green Lantern Rond Vidar rescues them and brings them home to a grateful Legion.

Harvest's origin is finally revealed and quickly forgotten since nobody cares. He/it fades into oblivion with the likes of Kite-man & Rainbow Rider.

Buh-bye!
ddf
chasm View Post
Doin' a happy dance - the main title will definitely be helped by this crew going home ...

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old October 15th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #5
Amentep

I do hope that we do see these characters return to the 31st century soon. I wanted to like this book but it always seemed that the characters did nothing but bitch and moan and complain and it never made sense that they did not contact Superman.
ddf
mmk123 View Post
I thought in the first issue they explained that since they feared they were infected they shouldn't contact anyone like Superman for fear they'd give them hypertaxis (or whatever) and change history.

Anyhow, this book never quite jelled, so I can't say I'm surprised to see it go. The less ties the Legion has with the mess that is the other Teen titles from DC, the better IMO.

Old October 17th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #6
mego joe
Geoffan

I thought in the first issue they explained that since they feared they were infected they shouldn't contact anyone like Superman for fear they'd give them hypertaxis (or whatever) and change history.

Anyhow, this book never quite jelled, so I can't say I'm surprised to see it go. The less ties the Legion has with the mess that is the other Teen titles from DC, the better IMO.
ddf
Amentep View Post
In reality they were infected with poor storytelling and low sales- who wants to pass that around?

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old October 17th, 2012   scion969 is offline   #7
scion969
Advanced Geoffan

I've liked a good bit of Fabian N.'s (too lazy to look up the spelling) work over the years. Sadly, taking a number of the most popular Legionnaires out of the main book for a book which isn't possibly going to mean much (given the story dictates they can't interact with present day characters, but we know the Legion storyline isn't going to destroy the recently rebooted DC Universe) wasn't the strongest premise.

Old October 17th, 2012   sylpemberton is offline   #8
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

sadly i let out a little cheer too. i've been buying this out of my desire to keep up on all things 'Legion' but really haven't been enjoying it. it was painful in places. The latest issue really actually pissed me off in places.

So yay. It's over. I won't be buying something i'm actively hating anymore...

(I dropped the other book that i had some loyalty to that i was hating, Blue Beetle...)

Old October 19th, 2012   chasm is offline   #9
chasm
Master Geoffan

I have never understood the fascination with teens as an absolute comic focus. If the average age of a comic reader is 30 - 45 years old, why not concentrate on more adult themes (that doesn't have to translate into sex, violence and bad language)? The characters could evolve as adults and we might say goodbye to all this cliched angst business. That doesn't mean there won't be dramatic conflict. The writers just need to up their game (if they have the talent to do so). Vertigo & Image seem to be giving it the old college try.

The Legion is in a unique position since it exists in it's own era, separate from modern day DC. For the most part, Paul does meld newbie recruits with seasoned members. It would be nice to see the "boy", "girl", "damsel" & "lad" monikers fall away. Abnett & Lanning's Hypernaturals explore the passage of time and the aging of their protagonists. The original three could retire from active duty but still consult or offer historical perspective via telepathic or technological link up. Sort of like old school Professor Xavier directing his X-Men students.

All I'm saying is that the Justice League portrays adult superheroes, although they don't often act much more mature than the Teen Titans. I think the Legion is misplaced under the Young Justice house brand. Maybe redirect the book into the Justice League or Superman families. Heck, maybe spinoff a science fiction branding with some other new titles, starting with Keith Giffen's Threshold and the inevitable New Gods relaunch?

Old October 19th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #10
jafabian
I’m not dead.

The fact that the Legion started out as teens was a part of their appeal but it wasn't just that alone. But the success of books like Teen Titans, New Mutants, New Warriors and others shows there's an interest in the genre.

This Legion has been explained as being the same age as Superman and that the "boy" and "lass" parts of their names symbolize a more innocent era. I have preferred more genderless names that were used during the Legionnaires era though. (Leviathan, Gossammer, Inferno, Apparition and the like)

Old October 19th, 2012   Astro@work is offline   #11
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Count me on the list of people who were buying Legion Lost just to "keep up"...but won't really miss it. Hopefully the characters will be pulled back to the main Legion sooner rather than later. I did enjoyed seeing Yera and Tyroc get some long overdue screen time.

As for the "teen" thing, while the "original" Legion has been allowed to age (if not marry), don't forget that the Archie Legion and Threeboot Legion were mostly teens. It's only been since the Lightning Saga that we returned to the more adult team. Not complaining, the originals were always my favorite. But branding them under the Teen banner does seem a bit misplaced.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old October 19th, 2012   superfriend is offline   #12
superfriend
laughs at comics

yeah, the Legion work best for me when they're encroaching on the X-Men's audience. similar dynamics i think.

anyway, won't miss this book. will keep an eye out for the characters (hope they get "found" in the future), and the work of Pete Woods.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old October 19th, 2012   JRM is offline   #13
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Count me on the list of people who were buying Legion Lost just to "keep up"...but won't really miss it. Hopefully the characters will be pulled back to the main Legion sooner rather than later. I did enjoyed seeing Yera and Tyroc get some long overdue screen time.

As for the "teen" thing, while the "original" Legion has been allowed to age (if not marry), don't forget that the Archie Legion and Threeboot Legion were mostly teens. It's only been since the Lightning Saga that we returned to the more adult team. Not complaining, the originals were always my favorite. But branding them under the Teen banner does seem a bit misplaced.
ddf
So totally agree with this and the last number of posts, in a way if they wanted to keep the more youthful audience, they should have looked back to re-boot continuity, not the earlier one where they had aged well out of the teen years. Biggest problem is that somewhere above, they have one view - that just isn't fitting to the characters and continuity they are using.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old October 27th, 2012   RonFarrell is offline   #14
RonFarrell
Geoffan

Looking forward to Wildfire and Timber Wolf, in particular, returning to the main title.

"Superhero comics aren't about rules. They're about flying." - Mark Waid