The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Aquaman

Old March 26th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Question SPOILERS Aquaman issue #7 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

Who destroyed Atlantis? In the start of a new storyline, we follow the hunter as he stalks and kills his prey, claiming their weapons and armor as trophies. A golden shield, a golden helm…and the final prize is the most powerful of all: a golden trident. The only problem is, he’s going to have to go through Aquaman to get it. Who is he? What is the secret of Aquaman’s trident? And how does this all tie into the destruction of Atlantis?

Story by
Geoff Johns
Art by
Ivan Reis, Joe Prado
Colors by
Rod Reis
Letters by
Nick J. Napolitano
Cover by
Ivan Reis, Joe Prado
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Wed, March 28th, 2012
ddf

Old March 27th, 2012   TJLamb0518 is offline   #2
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Based on recent events, I suspect James Cameron is the villian.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old March 29th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #3
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

The hunch I'm getting from this is that Black Manta is going to kill all the Others except Aquaman and obtain all the relics except the trident.

Let's face it. Black Manta is due for a power upgrade. Owning a submarine does not set him on the same level as the man who is supposedly his arch-nemesis. Giving him the power to teleport and breath anywhere and whatever the other three relics do would put him on more even footing with Aquaman.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old March 29th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I'm not sure about Manta needing an upgrade. That was tried after the Underworld Unleashed mini-series and it wasn't well received. IMO, it isn't the powers that make a character but instead it's simply the character itself.

I love Black Manta's look in here. Clean and simple.

Old March 29th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #5
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

I also liked the foreshadowing that the Trench are still alive. They seemed like a good edition to Aquaman's rogues gallery. Too good to just throw away after one story.

I'm not sure about Manta needing an upgrade. That was tried after the Underworld Unleashed mini-series and it wasn't well received. IMO, it isn't the powers that make a character but instead it's simply the character itself.
ddf
jafabian View Post
You're right, to an extent. All the power in the world doesn't matter if the character doesn't have the personality to back it up.

But I also think modern reader sensibilities somewhat demand the protagonist be the underdog. Right now, that's definitely not the case. Hero is measured by the strength of his adversary and all that. Beating up a guy in a tricked out scuba suit is not very impressive to the casual observer.

Besides, Underworld Unleashed didn't make Black Manta that much more powerful. Mostly it just made him uglier.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old March 30th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #6
mego joe
Geoffan

Enjoyed the issue. This title continues to be one of the best of the relaunch. Interestingly, it is in no way dependent on the relaunch.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old March 30th, 2012   E-MAC is offline   #7
E-MAC
Advanced Geoffan

Another great issue, loving this series more and more. Too bad that this Geoff Johns isn't writting GL and JLA then i'd actually be buying those books.

Anyways, stellar art and interesting stories are making Aquaman the star of this new 52 universe. Johns and Reis are killing it right now and I really hope that they continue on this book it has the potential to be what GL was during the last volume.

"If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".
Old April 5th, 2012   PyroTwilight is offline   #8
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Hopefully the Others aren't killed off like the Kingdom in Batwing... I was dissapointed to see the Seer's fate. Sounds like we'll see a lot of the pre-league Aquaman which should be fun.

Old April 9th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

Hopefully the Others aren't killed off like the Kingdom in Batwing... I was dissapointed to see the Seer's fate. Sounds like we'll see a lot of the pre-league Aquaman which should be fun.
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post
Yeah, I thought the Seer's fate was disappointing as well.

Old April 28th, 2012   Matches is offline   #10
Matches
stepping aside

Not my favorite issue, really. THIS was the new character that inspired letters and hand-wringing? She was on like three pages and literally did nothing but get killed. Next we can lament the untimely death of "Frightened Inmate #2" on Arrested Development, yes?

Still love the art, and the book has built up enough goodwill with me that I'm willing to let an occasional subpar issue slide, but i hope this arc picks up some steam next issue.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 29th, 2012   E-MAC is offline   #11
E-MAC
Advanced Geoffan

Another month and another very strong issue of Aquaman. This series is the fresh of breath air that the NEW 52 hasn't been since it launched. The art is beautiful as always and Johns continues to expand the Aquaman world with each issue. Loved seeing The Others in action, only problem with the issue is that I got to wait another month to get the next one.

"If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".