The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old March 9th, 2009   Director of Everything is offline   #1
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Default Fantastic Four 3 movie

Not So Fantastic Four To Finally Get A Fantastic Reboot.

The two films previously released never really caught on with the fans and the studio is reportedly looking to completely retool, recast and recrew the franchise. This means no Tim Story, no Iaon, no Julian (thank the maker, he never sat well with me as Dr. Doom), no Chris, no Chiklis and no Jessica.

The franchise is looking to be "less bubble gum" this time round following the Iron Man template, which was a complete success in reviews and box office take but a bit darker when it came to its superhero. Iron Man was in no way as dark as The Dark Knight but was funny, action-y as well as a bit on the serious side.
ddf

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old March 9th, 2009   darthlucifuge is offline   #2
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo X9000

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old March 9th, 2009   diablo is offline   #3
diablo
Geoffan

Julian McMahon would make a great Lex Luthor. I know 'cause that's who he played in the FF movies.

Getting Dr. Doom right would've gone a long way towards making the FF films much better.

Old March 9th, 2009   Sentinel119 is offline   #4
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

We don't have to see Doom's face. Just do like they did with V and get someone with a good voice.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old March 9th, 2009   5andman is offline   #5
5andman
Master Geoffan

I'm assuming Marvel is hoping it goes into development hell, so the rights will revert back to Marvel.

Old March 9th, 2009   protege is offline   #6
protege
Neo Geoffan

what's this about Daredevil?

Old March 9th, 2009   JME2 is offline   #7
JME2
Geoffan

what's this about Daredevil?
ddf
protege View Post
It'll be getting a reboot, too. Now necessarily a bad thing, though the Director's Cut of the Affleck version at least makes it somewhat more bearable.

Old March 9th, 2009   starks is offline   #8
starks
Geoffan

I enjoyed the movies and don't think a reboot is necessary. They could always be better, but a reboot? Just do a third film. Of course I'd recast the role of Sue Storm.

Old March 9th, 2009   Hef_Lee is offline   #9
Hef_Lee
Neo Geoffan

Eh, for the most part I liked Evans and Chiklis. But while I hope for a good FF movie , I still think we should wait about 5 years for things to "air out" for a good cause.

Every comic I ever love is doomed to cancellation...
Old March 9th, 2009   Director of Everything is offline   #10
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

Why? They usually onlywait a couple years between Bond recastings. This is no different.

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old March 10th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #11
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

We don't have to see Doom's face. Just do like they did with V and get someone with a good voice.
ddf
Sentinel119 View Post
Hell, even Hugo specifically might not be a bad choice.

Old March 10th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #12
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I'm all for the, "less bubble-gum," approach. Still, one shouldn't be too zealous about that mantra in a case like this - let's face it, the FF, even on their best day, are a little...well...silly. And, hey, that's one of the things I love about them. They can do serious stories, of course, but, ultimately, they don't lend themselves as easily to gravitas as most of the other franchise-likely comic book properties. And, at the end of the day, we're still going to be talking about a team whose leader decided to call himself, "Mr. Fantastic," and regularly refers to his best friend as, "The Thing," despite knowing that he suffers from self-esteem problems.

Old March 10th, 2009   Argent is offline   #13
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

Pushing forward is the way to go. Between script, casting, and everything else, it'll take long enough to get all the pieces together anyway. Since the first FF movie, H'wood has learned quite a bit about how to do comic book films right. You can't win with just spectacle any longer, and what spectacle you have, it better be right - meaning, Galactus had better be some guy in a Kirby-esq space suit.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old March 10th, 2009   jafabian is offline   #14
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I had no problem with the casting. It's the storytelling that held the franchise back. They made Doctor Doom a second rate villain when he should be right there with Darth Vader. They did a great job with the Silver Surfer but it was horrible how Galactus was treated. IMO, they should just do a third film and get a new director and screenwriter.

Keep the cast, they're not the problem.

Old March 10th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #15
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

meaning, Galactus had better be some guy in a Kirby-esq space suit.
ddf
Argent View Post
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about, right there. Silly. But, for some unfathomable reason, fun.

Old March 10th, 2009   Argent is offline   #16
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about, right there. Silly. But, for some unfathomable reason, fun.
ddf
ADGood View Post
I think there's a couple of things going for Galactus as a giant humanoid. First, it's 100% classic 50's Sci Fi, instant recognizability and acceptance by the audience, maybe cheesy but then again... Second, you see the features and the familiarity, so you know down inside, "Hey this thing can be negotiated with." Or in the case of the classic story - scared away.

One last thing, because it's a guy in a suit, it's a cheap effect to pull off. You get to spend the money to make a cool suit, cast some body actor who doesn't have to say lines, and at the end of the day it looks better and you saved a ton of money that can be invested elsewhere. The folks at Weta could have a field day making the miniatures and costume for you, too.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!