The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 19th, 2008   jon-el87 is offline   #1
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

Default Save Infinity, Inc

I'm a fan of the original Infinity, Inc., team. It's concept was basically a legacy team, with members that was eigther children or heirs of the original JSA team. We had Fury (Lyta Trevor, daugther of Wonder Woman), Jade & Obsidian (children of the Green Lantern), Huntress (daugther of Batman and Catwoman), Silver Scarab (son of both Hawkman and Hawkgirl), Nuklon (godson of the Atom), Power Girl (cousin of Superman), Brainwave; Jr (son of the original Brainwave), Nothwind and the original Star-Spangled Kid/Skyman. Later they also recruited Hourman II (son of the first Hourman), Wildcat II (goddaugther of the first Wildcat) Doctor Midnight (protété of Dr. Mid-Nite) and Mister Bones. Sadly, as time has gone.. Huntress died in Crisis on Infinite Earths and was erased frĺn existence and everyones memory; Fury, Silver Scarab, Wildcat II and Doctor Midnight have all died and apparently been erased from everyones memories (sure haven't seen Carter Hall mention his son or his daugther-in-law once, since he came back); Nuklon was with the JSA for a while, before being convicted and has since become forgotten; Northwind hasn't died, but he's vanished from continuity; Star-Spangled Kid/Skyman has died and is rarely mentioned at all (unless I've missed something); Brainwave, Jr became a villian (like his father) and appears to be largely forgotten; Mister Bones became director of D.E.O. and fell into the background; Jade's dead; Power Girl went through a period of screwed up origins fallowing the Crisis and has since become a member and current leader of the JSA (making her the one with the most success fallowing the Infinity, Inc); Hourman II took over after his father in the JSA, after his death and that's about it; Fallowing Infinity, Inc., DC didn't seem to know what to do with Obsidian. They threw him in with the Justice League for a while, before deciding to bring back the original seven members, which ment they'd throw out all the new guys (including Todd). Then they started to ignore the character pretty much, before they had him become a villian. After a while they had him turn good again and lost his powers. Later Marc Andreyko had Todd appear in the Manhunter comic and come out as gay (which is one of the few good things any writer has done with Todd Post-Infinity, Inc. Sadly, this is a concept that's been thrown into the background). Then they had Todd get his powers back and join the JSA, where he once again fell into the background by not appearing that much and mostly he's just doing some minor cameo in a scene, where he's just a living shadow (making it difficult to tell if it's him or just some other guy's shadow).

Now we have got a new Infinity, Inc., which doesn't have any ties to eigther the Justice Society or the original members, other then that many members have stolen their codenames from the original members; Jade, Skyman, Fury and Nuklon. The only member of this team that is a legacy is Starlight, niece of Steel (John Henry Irons) and he's a JLA character, not a JSA member. The only person that's got a problem with the new Infinity, Inc. team is Obsidian (however, this has mostly to do with someone's stolen his dead sister's codename).

If you ask me, DC should throw out this new "Infinity, Inc" and make the team into what it's supposed to be; A team of children (now also, grandchildren) and heirs to the Justice Society members. However, instead of doing this, they just took a bunch of these guys (Damage, Citizen Steel, Amazing-Man, Cyclone, Jakeem Thunder, Judomaster, Lightning, Stargirl, Lance and Wildcat III) and threw them into the JSA. The could have these ten heroes form a new Infinity, Inc. team, giving more space to the other JSA characters (then it would only be like 13 members left in the JSA).

Old December 19th, 2008   Sentinel119 is offline   #2
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

Hank and Lyta Hall are both dead. They died in the last JSA series. Brainwave Jr. also appeared in the previous JSA series, first being controlled by Mr. Mind and then next helping the JSA. It seems that he and his mother have gone missing. Those that died havent been erased from everyone's memory, they just aren't brought up that often, kind of like the original Thunderbird in X-men isn't brought up all the time.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old December 19th, 2008   E2Brutus is offline   #3
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

Brainwave is getting some good exposure of sorts in Trinity. He's a major player in the "alternate Earth" thing going on over there. Al Rothstein just showed up in one of the KC specials having a throwdown with Damage, and Northwind had acameo in the last issue of JSA and may show up in the next one.

So they're not entirely forgotten. Whether they and Todd get any face time once Manhunter is finished & Geoff leaves JSA is another thing entirely.

As for your new series idea, that's what I always suspected the plan was when Geoff added so many new characters. Add a bunch of newbies, show how too many members can get in each others' way, spin off a new team. Simple, right? Sadly, it looks like they're going another way (unless Geoff is leaving JSA to write the new II book... ).

Old December 19th, 2008   MattDiCarlo is offline   #4
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I'm not sure there's a whole lot of value in the brand name, to be honest. It's up there with Force Works when it comes to the dumb sounding ones.

Old December 19th, 2008   Scott Mateo is offline   #5
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

I'm not sure there's a whole lot of value in the brand name, to be honest. It's up there with Force Works when it comes to the dumb sounding ones.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
Hehehe...hey, wait! I LIKED Force Works! Now Midnight Sons on the other hand...

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old December 19th, 2008   MattDiCarlo is offline   #6
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I'll fully admit having no idea what Force Works meant.

As a kid, I thought it was some sort of branch of the military/special forces like DELTA FORCE or something.

At worst, it's a sentence. At best, it's a place where they create force... instead of iron. Either way, not a team name. And I just asked about CENTURY in another note, so I can say that.

Oh, and as someone who tends to have tiny, tiny little paragraphs here, I am daunted by the size of that first paragraph in the op. Just saying.

Old December 19th, 2008   Diomedes1977 is offline   #7
Diomedes1977

Infinity Inc. was a great series and concept.

There was a time ,around Black Reign ,when we had most of the originalgroup back:Hector Hall as Dr Fate ,Fury recently rescued ,Albert as Atom Smasher with the BA team ,the same as Northwind and Brainwawe ,Power Girl around ,Rick Tyler as Hourman II around ,Obsidian and Jade were both alive and recovering from Prince of Darkness saga ....

Sadly ,IC and Day of Judgement come and most was lost.Atom Smasher as a criminal ,Brainwawe dissappeared ,Nortwind as an animal ,Hector and Lyta vanished to the Dreaming and with their bodies frozen in Hell ,Jade died ...

The new Infinity Inc. has showed what they are worth-nothing.

DC ,if you want to use some brand name assure you are offering a product that fans of said brand name care for ,and the new Infinity Inc. was such a travesty ,and insult to the classic Infinity Inc. fans that it had to fail.And fail it did.

Now we have most of the classic Infinity Inc. members in their classic version in the new E-2.But until it is said that they are the original ones and that E-2 is reborn (as Starman said himself ) they are just dopplegangers (although the best we have got since many years regarding the characters) and something should be done with the New Earth versions ,the originals until it is said otherwise.

Old December 19th, 2008   CoMike Norris is offline   #8
CoMike Norris
Geoffan

I'll fully admit having no idea what Force Works meant.

As a kid, I thought it was some sort of branch of the military/special forces like DELTA FORCE or something.

At worst, it's a sentence. At best, it's a place where they create force... instead of iron. Either way, not a team name. And I just asked about CENTURY in another note, so I can say that.

Oh, and as someone who tends to have tiny, tiny little paragraphs here, I am daunted by the size of that first paragraph in the op. Just saying.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
I thought it was their mission statement.

Midnight In Never Land by Perry Bradford-Wilson & Michael Norris available at storytellerpress.com and Amazon.com
Old December 19th, 2008   BrianT is offline   #9
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

I think the post-52 version of the team is pretty much done with. I don't think we really have to worry about them showing up again.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old December 19th, 2008   impulse1999 is offline   #10
impulse1999
Advanced Geoffan

I would love to see the Infinity Inc legacies and newbies from JSA in the team...

Much better to get face-time for the other members... somehow I don't think the new writer will want to juggle so many members.... meaning limbo for so many new characters...

DCnU? We'll see....
Old December 19th, 2008   Human Bong is offline   #11
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

Hehehe...hey, wait! I LIKED Force Works! Now Midnight Sons on the other hand...
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
This is funny, I actually thought Midnight Sons sounded cool. (I was 12 ) And Infinity Inc was greatest team ever, they're allowed to have a stupid name.

As far as horrible team names go, Supermen of America is at the top of my list.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old December 19th, 2008   E2Brutus is offline   #12
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

I think the post-52 version of the team is pretty much done with. I don't think we really have to worry about them showing up again.
ddf
Brian Thomer View Post
Actually they've popped up in McKeever's Terror Titans mini. I don't think they'll be reforming the team anytime soon, though.

Old December 21st, 2008   Wally West888 is offline   #13
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I would love to see a new Infinity Inc. led by some of the former movies, I think that would be cool, maybe to see Al, Todd and Brainwave and some others, maybe training some new heroes into a new Infinity Inc.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old December 26th, 2008   Zal-Ta is offline   #14
Zal-Ta
Master Geoffan

Hear, Hear! :d

Lover of all things Supergirl!
Old January 8th, 2009   Diomedes1977 is offline   #15
Diomedes1977

Well ,and the original Infinity Inc. has been rescued somehow and joined the JSA in the new Earth-2...
Its not the same as having the originals back in New Earth with all their backstory but the best thing we can get right now ....

Old January 8th, 2009   nova64 is offline   #16
nova64
Neo Geoffan

Does anyone know if Justice Society Infinity is still going to be published as a mini or monthly?

I thought I read some time ago that JSI was going to be a book in some way, shape or form (beyond the Annual).

Thanks!

Doug

Learn More About Nova: The Human Rocket -
Nova Prime Page