The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old June 10th, 2007   Zatara2000 is offline   #1
Zatara2000
Advanced Geoffan

Default Worst Convention Guest Ever

First off, when I say convention guest I don't mean a professional that works in the industry. I mean a conventioner. I guess thats not a guest. I'm talking about a fan, who goes to the convention, to meet the guests. Wrong word. Oops. Can't reedit. So, to clarify, this is about a fan....not the artist.

Okay? Good? Got it straight? Lets continue with my tale of woe.

Just got back from the Toronto comic con about an hour ago. Came home early because I need to work tomorrow but there is still one day left and if you are in the Toronto area I do suggest you head on down there because it's an amazing show.

Anyhow, I don't want to be petty but I just need to bitch about a conventioner that I saw at the con today. Although this guy seemed harmless and didn't do anything personally to me, the guy totally creeped me out, got under my skin and made my conventioning experience that little bit more annoying, and makes me embarressed of some of the people in our subculture. Hopefully none of you were this guy.

Anyhow, it revolves around one of the guests at the con. Now perhaps there is another side of the story that I don't know about and I know this guest occasionally posts here so she can choose to pipe in and explain this if she wishes. Anyhow, I'm not going to name the guest by name except to say she is extremely talented and popular, very pretty, draws a Gail Simone book and comes from the country that brought us Kylie Minouge. You put the pieces together. Just to reclarify...this artist is not "the worst convention guest ever." She was very pleasent and nice and pretty and I thought she was amazing. You wont hear me say anything bad about her. She embodied the true meaning of talented and professional and the story of how she got in the business actually proved to be very inspirational to me. My problem wasn't with her at all....as much as it was with what proved to be one of her creepy obsessive fans.

So this artist tells me to drop my sketch book off to her first thing this morning when I arrive. I arrived at about 11 am and right infront of this particular artist stood a guy with frock of curly hair and a moustache. He stood right in front of her so that you couldn't even see her from the aisle. I patiently waited behind him like all convention guests should do in an orderly fashion....but he just wasn't going to go. So eventally I just kind of tactfully interupted and gave the guest my sketchbook. She told me to come back in a few hours. I went on my way.

Hours pass by, It's about 1 pm. I head back to the table. The guest is still doing sketches and, still standing right in front of her is this dude with the curly hair, totally blocking the guests view to other conventioners and monopolizing the table. Again, I wait patiently but eventually, I just elbow my way next to him She tells me to come after some panels shes doing. As I said, she was very popular.

I go to two panels...one with this said guest....and then go back out to the convention, get a few sketches by other people and at about 3 pm I go back to said guests table. Guess whos standing right in front of her and STILL blocking her view despite the fact she even ran off to a panel? You got it. The curly haired twit. By this point there is a crowd of people attempting to elbow thier way through to her but he wont budge. He's not even talking now. Just standing in front of her being creepy. I figure shes busy and my book is still in the pile of sketch books so I decide to do a few more laps.

It's now 4 pm. I go back to her table. Shes still drawing. Her markers are getting low on ink. Guess whose still, after all these hours, looming over her and monopolizing her space? Yup. Curly haired guy. This time there are some other really annoying fan boys that are babbling more at her then asking decent questions. I also notice that she is getting rather sharp and more adding polite comments then actually listening. I don't want to assume, but said guest seemed to be really pissed off and not having a decent time. I get frustrated and just elbow my way through. She says to come back before I go. I hurry off because the guys around her (especially Mr. Curly haired guy) are pissing me off. Also, I don't want to be lumped in with the annoying guys.

So I go talk to some friends in the industry, do an interview with Ed the Sock, say a special goodbye to Terry and Robyn Moore who I have shared a correspondence with for years but finally met for the first time on Friday and then, just about to leave, go back to said guests table. Yup. Curly haired dude is STILL looming. I elbow my way in and find out my drawing is the next in order but it won't be done till the next day which I wouldn't be there for. No problem. I arrange for Janet Hetherington who writes and draws Eternal Romance and writes Elvira, whos a pretty good friend of mine, to pick the sketch up for me the next day and she'll just give it to me later on. I prepay. However, to just reconfirm Janet, who ran the panel with this artist earlier that day, goes to her table and guess who she has to elbow out of the way to talk to the artist. You guessed it. Curly haired loomer guy. Man.

So I figured this ***hole stood at this artists table for about six hours. Now I'm sure if he was a real problem said artist would have been able to get security or something but, seriously dude, you gotta have enough tact to give the creators some space, let some other conventioners in without having to push you out of the way and frikkin' walk around and CONVENTION! I have a few friends in the industry and I had plenty of time to talk with them in two days without monopolizing thier time. And anyways, when I'm busy working on stuff like that I can't evern standi my girlfirned looming around in the background...especially after six hours. I just can't see this guy adding to this guest, who came a hell of a long way to be in Canada, from having a decent time. I just hope that she doesn't associate Toronto with this creepy dude for the rest of her life.

Gar.

Okay. That was long. Sorry to bitch so much. So....comments? Thoughts? Convention guest horror stories? Care to share?

BTW - I met Brian LaBelle today at the show. Really really cool frikkin' guy. He is not the worst convention guest ever.
Last edited by TitansFan; June 10th, 2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: I'm feeling your pain, but you still cant use sybmols to insert swear words

Confessions of a Pop Culture Addict
www.popcultureaddict.com

If your not reading it, then you don't love pop culture
Old June 10th, 2007   SWilliams is offline   #2
SWilliams
Klacktoveedesteen!

Did she ever say anything to the guy? If not, great as she is (and knowing who you're talking about, I agree -- she's a fantastic talent), she bears some responsibility for the situation.

I was at a con years ago, and a kid (maybe 13, 14) was in line for Chris Claremont, with a six-inch stack of books for Claremont to sign. Claremont signs about the first six and then looks at the rest of the stack and goes, "Look, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to go to the end of the line and come back up if you want me to sign more of these, because there's a whole line of people behind you with, like, two books each ..."

Sometimes, a creator has to get assertive to clear out the creeps, or even just the overenthusiastic fanboys.

Do you know if she ever said anything to try to get the guy to quit hovering over her?

"I am BAYTOR!" -- Baytor
Old June 10th, 2007   Zatara2000 is offline   #3
Zatara2000
Advanced Geoffan

Did she ever say anything to the guy? If not, great as she is (and knowing who you're talking about, I agree -- she's a fantastic talent), she bears some responsibility for the situation.

I was at a con years ago, and a kid (maybe 13, 14) was in line for Chris Claremont, with a six-inch stack of books for Claremont to sign. Claremont signs about the first six and then looks at the rest of the stack and goes, "Look, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to go to the end of the line and come back up if you want me to sign more of these, because there's a whole line of people behind you with, like, two books each ..."

Sometimes, a creator has to get assertive to clear out the creeps, or even just the overenthusiastic fanboys.

Do you know if she ever said anything to try to get the guy to quit hovering over her?
ddf
SWilliams View Post

Very good point. No, I don't know if she ever said anything. I never stuck around to find out because I didn't want to add to what may have been an awkward and possibly unwanted situation.

Who knows? Perhaps there is more to this story then we know. All I know is as someone trying to do business with this artist that I found it very odd, very creepy and very annoying.

www.popcultureaddict.com

Old June 10th, 2007   gottaluvit is offline   #4
gottaluvit
Geoffan

Maybe he knows her, like a relative or something that tagged along to the convention with her--then again, you'd think they'd interract a little if that was the case. But yeah, it sounds pretty wierd.

RED ARROW FANS!! Join us in makeing the Roy Harper Yahoo group the biggest fan group for Roy fans on the net. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RoyHarper/
Old June 10th, 2007   Zatara2000 is offline   #5
Zatara2000
Advanced Geoffan

Maybe he knows her, like a relative or something that tagged along to the convention with her--then again, you'd think they'd interract a little if that was the case. But yeah, it sounds pretty wierd.
ddf
gottaluvit View Post
That occured to me as well, but I don't think thats the case. A lot of guests, like Michael Golden, Terry Moore and Gail Simone all travelled with thier spouses, who all sat with them on the other side of thier tables as official guests. Even Marvel penciler Valentine De Landro's beautiful and charming girlfriend was behind the table with him. There seemed to be a theme running with relations/spouses/associates. Also, this guy was LEERING. But as I've said...who knows?

www.popcultureaddict.com

Old June 10th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #6
Amentep

ddf
gottaluvit View Post
Well if he was related, he'd probably be sitting behind the table.

If he wasn't related, just a friend or acquantence, I'd think he'd realize he was impeding con traffic and move over. Typically you don't even have to move THAT far over to continue talking with the guest and yet allow people access to their table. Mind you it doesn't sound like this guy was talking at all AND he was apparently there all day.

Anyhow, this story beats the convention attendee who cleared the anime room by taking his shoes off...

Old June 10th, 2007   Greg Owens is offline   #7
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

Hey if I see creepy curly haired guy today I'll kidney punch him. Just a free service I offer.

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch
Old June 10th, 2007   grimston1 is offline   #8
grimston1
Hat in a horse trough?

I was in line for an autograph from a female tv star. There is this guy in front of me that has flowers and candy and he is going to give them to this star. That is kind of creepy but it gets worse. The guy is talking and turns around to look at the line and opens his mouth. The most foul smell from a living being came from his mouth. The best way I could describe it was the he had eaten a Do-Do sandwich with extra Do-Do. Every time he would turn around I would just about get sick to my stomach.

I related the story to one of my friends at the show. He laughed and gave me a hard time about it. later in that day, My friend was very shaken. He described "Do-Do Sandwich guy" and said he was stuck behind him in line at a dealers table. He recounted that he smell a foul order that caused his neck to snap up. He told me that he had gaged and thought he was going to lose is lunch. This meeting happened when he in line waiting to talk to an art dealer. The the dealer kept backing away from his table until he was talking to "Do-Do Sandwich Guy" about 5 feet away from his table.

Boys, when that steel door slams shut, that's the end of the happy days. No more fishin', no more ball playin', no more peanut butter sandwiches.
Old June 10th, 2007   the prankster is offline   #9
the prankster
Geoffan

A guy who used to go to all of the english cons. I think he was from Singapore but he used to cut in line for everyone and he had a suitcase FULL for Brian Bolland and Dave Gibbons. No-one else got near them because of him.

You have just been pranked!!!
Old June 10th, 2007   zekeman1 is offline   #10
zekeman1
Master Geoffan

i would inform the cons organizers. they can if he was creepying people out and blocking everyone. they can also get security to remove him.

bob

ben, does it have a hemi ?
Old June 10th, 2007   Zatara2000 is offline   #11
Zatara2000
Advanced Geoffan

Hey if I see creepy curly haired guy today I'll kidney punch him. Just a free service I offer.
ddf
Greg Owens View Post
Heh. Thanks Greg. Your a pal.

BTW - were you there the first two days? Did you see me...again...and not come and say hi?

www.popcultureaddict.com

Old June 10th, 2007   DABEARS is offline   #12
DABEARS
KRYPTO,NOT ON THE CARPET!

That's just terrible. Somebody should have said something to security. If it was a friend if said artist, then at least he could have been made aware of the situation.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old June 10th, 2007   manwithnoname is offline   #13
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
SWilliams View Post
Yep.

But, she is new to the whole convention thing. I doubt there's a "convention rule book" for creators. More than anything, she was probably scared of the guy and didn't know how to handle creepoids.

I was at a Portland, OR convention, and I my nose was assaulted by this smelly guy. I was rifling thru some back issues, and the smell hit me first. I looked around. The guy was about 3 feet to my side. I just walked away, pissed. This guy had to have rolled around in feces before entering the convention.
Last edited by TitansFan; June 10th, 2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: PLEASE everyone stop using symbols to get words into your posts

Old June 10th, 2007   manwithnoname is offline   #14
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
Greg Owens View Post
How about pepper spray?

Old June 10th, 2007   Saturn Girl is offline   #15
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Wow, that sounds like the creepiest con-goer ever. I feel very sorry for the pro who had to endure a stalker like that. It's be enough to give me nightmares and want to get security involved after less than an hour.

I am the one who knocks.
Old June 10th, 2007   Lord Christoph is offline   #16
Lord Christoph*
Citizen

See? It's stuff like this that makes me always second guess myself about deciding to go to a con. Seems I always forget that I'm about to immerse myself with a mass of socially inept trolls for several days. Goes a long way towards spoiling an otherwise good time.

What I do not get is how these people don't realize what they're doing. Blows my mind. From the throngs of men and women who have put personal hygiene on hold (if they ever had it) to the folks who seem to think that the guests are there simply for their own benefit. Sometimes I actually feel embarrassed about being a geek.

Of course, there are just as many people who in attendance that are fun to be around, so it balances it out. Still, some people need to be cold cocked.