The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 23rd, 2005   WARRIOR is offline   #1
WARRIOR
Deactivated

Default Aquaman (discussion group)

Hey peeps!!

Well, all of our old Aquaman topics are gone now. So let's start from the ground up and see if we can get a strong, solid community going here. I know that there are tons of Aqua-fans here so come on in and enjoy the water.

In the past, I have reviewed every issue since #15 and even offered previews for upcoming issues when I could. That won't change.

WARRIOR'S DIME: Aquaman #29

First of all, easily one of the best covers on the comic racks this week. If that cover didn't get people to at least pick it up and flip through the issue, then what the eff are you reading comics for? Oh, you'd rather have posed covers on your 'Ultimate whatever'? Fehhh... Be gone from here.

This cover rocked!!
Bottom line.

The issue itself however was, for me, probably the weakest of Arcudi's run so far. I'm not sure what was missing exactly, I guess I just wanted the story to advance a bit further than it did. Why did it take J'onn so many pages to get his point across to Orin?

While the cover was misleading a bit, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to discover that J'onn was posing as Superman as I was really bothered by Kal's demeanor towards Orin. It clearly wasn't a good characterization of Superman and thankfully, there was a reason why. That being said, it seemed odd behavior for J'onn as well, but seeing as how he's been acting a bit weird all over the place (Countdown...) I can dismiss it. Who knows. Maybe there's a reason J'onn is acting so strangely and it's all part of the DC master plan. Only time will tell. Getting back to the Superman/ Aquaman confrontation, obviously the aspect I LOVED was Aquaman's characterization. Every fanboy who has ever dissed on Aquaman without actually reading him, needs to read this issue. It's the equivalent to hal telling Sinestro he WILL respect Kyle in GL:R #5. Arcudi really nails Aquaman's personality to the tee. Unfortunately, in doing so, he's showing us what an incredible ass Aquaman has become. I had trouble finding anything likeable about Orin this issue as he was yelling at and dismissing everyone around him. Let me say that again. I had trouble finding Aquaman likeable. ME . The biggest Aquaman fan I know. But again, I feel it's all part of Aquaman's growth. Hopefully Arcudi sticks around long enough to play it all out. The problem with this interpretation of Orin (the PAD version I would say), is that so many different creators have come and gone, no one has had the opportunity to develop his character past a certain point. I hope Arcudi gets that chance.

Moving on, it was also nice to see aspects of Atlantis come a knockin'. Given the situation with Obsidian Age and The Thirst storyarcs of the past 2 years of Aquaman's life, his reaction to Vulko was spot on. These pages are also where Gleason's artwork really shined brightest (in a rather odd uneven issue for him). Everything about the Atlanteans was otherwordly and majestic. I like where this subplot is going and I know that I (and TONS of other Aqua-fans) have been clamoring for some Atlantis action for ahwile now. Now once we get to see Mera and Tempest, all will be right. Note: I say "see them". They don't need to be part of the grander scheme. Just show me that they still exist and what their status quo with Orin is. That's all I ask. I was happy to see Vulko and if he had gone back into the sea empty handed, never to be seen again (at least until the next creative change) I would've been sated.

Storywise, I was hoping for a little bit more on the development side about Progene Tech, especially as how OMAC #1 came out this week. (For those not in the know, Progene's logo was seen on the OMAC monitor as Blue Beetle was hacking the system in Countdown #1. Let the speculation fly). I loved Arthur's character throughout, but was curious why he is being so dismissive of Lorena and the Sub Diegans around him when he's so willing to accept the help of a surface woman.

And while the artwork was a tad more uneven this issue, I hope Patrick Gleason and Christian Alamy stick around for the long haul. Their work reminds me heavily of Doug Mahnke and seeing their Superman took me back to the days of Mahnke's work on Man of Steel, which at the time, was THE best Superman title on the stands (take that Loeb and Kelly).

I give the issue 3 out of 5. If you're new to the book, don't lose heart. This is a consistently great read, even at its weakest (well not its weakest... that would've been the first 12 issues of the current series and I would never recommend that to ANYONE. Remember kiddies, it could ALWAYS be worse). If your interest is peaked, I suggest getting back issues starting with #15, or #25 if you don't have cash for the whole American Tidal arc that started this Sub Diego tale. You won't be disappointed.

Onto other issues. Originally, the solicitations for #30 mentioned the return of Black Manta (YAY!!) with the following cover:

Now, with the solicits for July just posted, the same cover and solicitation were given for #32. At first we were all wondering what was up, but I think, given the next issue blurb shown in Aquaman #29's 'DC in Demand' posting, we have a brief two-issue fill-in arc to look forward to and the Black Manta issue will return with #32 as newly solicited. I don't recognize the fill in team but all of the fill-ins on this series of Aquaman have been top notch and I expect the best. Who knows why the story was pushed. Hopefully, it's to get the book in a better position to coincide with the events happening in the rest of the DCU, spinning out of Countdown as it leads up to Infinite Crisis. I really want Aquaman to play a larger part in everything that's happening and I haven't read or seen anything to suggest that he will be. Here's hoping.

Well, I think I've written enough for one night. Hope everyone else enjoyed #29. Despite my misgivings, I sure did. Looking forward to the future.

-Dan

Old April 23rd, 2005   rooboy666 is offline   #2
rooboy666
Free Ostrander Chairman

Don't lose heart. #29 was my first issue of Aquaman, and I really enjoyed it. It was weird because I know I'm picking up in the middle of the story, but I kind of like that.

BRING BACK JOHN OSTRANDER!
Old April 23rd, 2005   PMH is offline   #3
PMH
Freedom Fighter

This is what the solicts says for Aquaman 29 "Written by John Arcudi; Art and cover by Patrick Gleason and Christian Alamy

A rush of applications for GeneTech's water-breather gene therapy leads to chaos! Aquaman goes to the JLA to gain leverage against GeneTech, but finds the group in the middle of its own problems as the Themyscira crisis heats up! And Malrey is badly hurt in battle with Conger! "

Why did they take out the Themyscira storyline?? This is what I was looking forward to teh most about this issue and it was gone!!

I also don't think this was Pat's best issue. Some of the artwork looked really flat. Maybe he will be upto top form again with this two issue break.

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old April 23rd, 2005   Brian LaBelle is offline   #4
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

Don't lose heart. #29 was my first issue of Aquaman, and I really enjoyed it. It was weird because I know I'm picking up in the middle of the story, but I kind of like that.
ddf
rooboy666
You should go grab #28 before everyone else realizes it ties into OMAC...

Old April 23rd, 2005   filmwiz33 is offline   #5
filmwiz33
The Geoffan Joker!

Ok, since this is a disscusion thread, I have a question. For those you who have read every Aquaman comic on the ongoing series, Where do you think I should start reading it from?

Even though I'm 15, I'm still one sexy devil.
Old April 23rd, 2005   WARRIOR is offline   #6
WARRIOR
Deactivated

Default Amazons DON'T Attack

This is what the solicts says for Aquaman 29 "Written by John Arcudi; Art and cover by Patrick Gleason and Christian Alamy

A rush of applications for GeneTech's water-breather gene therapy leads to chaos! Aquaman goes to the JLA to gain leverage against GeneTech, but finds the group in the middle of its own problems as the Themyscira crisis heats up! And Malrey is badly hurt in battle with Conger! "

Why did they take out the Themyscira storyline?? This is what I was looking forward to teh most about this issue and it was gone!!

I also don't think this was Pat's best issue. Some of the artwork looked really flat. Maybe he will be upto top form again with this two issue break.
ddf
PMH
Originally, there was going to be a FIFTH mini-series spun out of Countdown called AMAZONS ATTACK, that would've spilled into other DCU books. At the time, Aquaman was going to be one fo those books, but AA was cut at the last minute because tptb felt that the theme that AA was setting was already being covered by one of the other mini's. That could explain the issues unevenness as it probably had to be rewritten (and maybe even drawn) last minute. Maybe that's why we have a fill-in also. Who knows.

Hope that helps.
-Dan

Old April 23rd, 2005   WARRIOR is offline   #7
WARRIOR
Deactivated

Default um...

Ok, since this is a disscusion thread, I have a question. For those you who have read every Aquaman comic on the ongoing series, Where do you think I should start reading it from?
ddf
filmwiz33
Read my paragraph in the first post, just ABOVE the Black Manta cover. Begins with "3 out of 5"...

Old April 23rd, 2005   Brian LaBelle is offline   #8
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

#15 kicks off the Sub Diego storyline and given what we know now, they may have been tied into OMAC & Checkmate for quite some time...

Of course, they might have no connection whatsoever as well!

Old April 23rd, 2005   specialty dish is offline   #9
specialty dish
who needs a new Aquaman?

I'm going to slightly disagree with some of Warrior's comments, as I like to consider myself the biggest Aquaman fan I know. I really liked this issue. Alot. I was mega pumped about the cover. Oh man does that cover do so many right things for me. So what if it turns out that it's not Supes, I feel like the Manhunter thing turned out better than anything they could have thrown together with Superman and Aquaman in that situation. I'm glad to see Manhunter get such good facetime in this book. I think everytime I've seen him show up I've enjoyed it.

Personally I like Orin being more of a hardass. It seemed like in PAD's run he was bipolar and seemed like he was really up and down as far as his mood was concerned. He definitely is more of disgruntled hardass but let's consider the getting kicked out of Atlantis (probably the only good thing from the first 12 issues, the first 2 pages of the first issue).

Arcudi is really starting to make things more centralized in the Aquaman realm. While American Tidal is still the best standing arc of this run, it really just kind of exploded onto the scene and stuff just sort of drifted out from it. I love that Arcudi is keeping things relatively tight so far. Malrey, Aquagirl, Atlantis, the reporter, Progene, it's all interconnected now and I love that and I feel like it's more apparent in this issue than any other. I was definitely confused by the solicits but looking as how they didn't mention a whole lot of Progene this issue I would like to see them flesh that out more before they send out Manta for the climax.

I'm really hoping Aquaman gets at least a blurb or some kind of shot in OMAC cause I feel it would be really easy to pimp him a tad and make him seem like what's going on in his "realm" seem of some importance as related to the dealings of Earth and humanity. In fact, I wish the Sub Diego thing would be mentioned a little more throughout the DCU, and not just Sub Diego but other big events from other comics, even if its just a blurb or a subtle pic of a newspaper or something.

As far as art, it does seem like Gleason has gotten a little hit or miss. I think my favorite issue artwise so far has been #27. The fight scene is really great and everything is consistent. In this issue some things look absolutely stellar (Orin/J'onn) and some stuff feels really rushed (various inbetweener stuff).

All in all though, this is still the book I look forward to the most every month. DC needs to print American Tidal in a tpb too.

I hate swords.
Old April 23rd, 2005   PMH is offline   #10
PMH
Freedom Fighter

Originally, there was going to be a FIFTH mini-series spun out of Countdown called AMAZONS ATTACK, that would've spilled into other DCU books. At the time, Aquaman was going to be one fo those books, but AA was cut at the last minute because tptb felt that the theme that AA was setting was already being covered by one of the other mini's. That could explain the issues unevenness as it probably had to be rewritten (and maybe even drawn) last minute. Maybe that's why we have a fill-in also. Who knows.

Hope that helps.
-Dan
ddf
WARRIOR
Well I knew Amazons Attack got cut but I didn't realize this issue was a part of that storyline. That's too bad, it could have been cool.

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old April 23rd, 2005   filmwiz33 is offline   #11
filmwiz33
The Geoffan Joker!

Wait, so should I styart at #15 or at the beginning?

Even though I'm 15, I'm still one sexy devil.
Old April 23rd, 2005   specialty dish is offline   #12
specialty dish
who needs a new Aquaman?

I agree about Amazons Attack. I always liked to see writers put together Orin and Diana; it just works for me.

edit: start at #15, possibly pick up #13 and #14 as they are filler and ok to read but don't touch #1-12

I hate swords.
Old April 23rd, 2005   Brian LaBelle is offline   #13
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

I'd say #15

If you want to go RIGHT to the beginning, I suggest the JLA arc featuring the replacement League...

And the Atlantis Chronicles! :P

Old April 23rd, 2005   specialty dish is offline   #14
specialty dish
who needs a new Aquaman?

How far does all the Obsidian Age stuff run through? Is it like #68-73 or something like that? I can't seem to find/recall the second half of it (I'd prefer the issues, I know there are trades).

I hate swords.
Old April 23rd, 2005   WARRIOR is offline   #15
WARRIOR
Deactivated

I absolutely agree with you SD. I LOVE Aquaman as a hardass. It's what makes him so damned cool and DEFINITELY what sets him apart from his JLA counterparts. Just the fact that Aquaman doesn't hesitate for a second about going toe-to-toe with Superman speaks volumes about his character.

I was just concerned about any interpretations a new reader might get from this issueand Aquaman's personality throughout this story as a whole. He keeps saying he's looking over Sub Diego and the people there, but we haven't actually seen him stand side by side with them, as one of them. This book needs a battle between Atlantis (or Progene) and Sub Diego. Or a variation thereof. There needs to be that one cool splash page with Aquaman standing with the Sub Diegans as they fight to protect their home. THAT's the connection that I think is missing so far. Because right now, he's just kinda dismissive and I'm not entirely sure why. I hope it's evolved upon... It'd make a great character arc.

Those scenes I described are just examples of the EMOTION I want to see. I don't necessarily want to Sub Diego in a war, so much. Hope that makes sense...
-Dan

Old April 23rd, 2005   specialty dish is offline   #16
specialty dish
who needs a new Aquaman?

Hmmmmmm.....

Yeah, I would love to see Aquaman defend Sub Diego on his own against some kind of Atlantean troops looking to stake their claim. Or against whatever craziness Progene has cooked up (which I'm guessing is going to happen in #32). I see what you're saying about maybe Aquaman being TOO much of a hardass for new readers, it is basically Batman's gig and we know what happens when you try to sneak in on Batman's turf.

Also, along with what you were saying about more "down to earth stuff" I would also like maybe one issue with 2 or 3 short stories about Aquaman helping out throughout Sub Diego with stuff and better connecting with what were once "surface dwellers". I think that with Orin always being an outsider among the land loving humans, there's mad potential now that they get a chance to be in his shoes for some great character development on this run.

Lastly, when are we gonna unite and demand, with violence if necessary, that DC make an American Tidal trade!?

I hate swords.