The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old September 6th, 2014   Matches is offline   #1
Matches
stepping aside

Default Marvel Comics This Week - September 3

Welp, Original Sin is done. It ends pretty much the way you'd expect it to, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - shock twists are overrated, and this ending follows logically from what came before. Marvel PR unfortunately gave away more of the ending than Id've really liked. I have mixed feelings about this event - it was an OK story but way too talky in places, and the bit at the end about how everyone has now grown distrustful seemed shoehorned in. It's something we're told but never shown, and it felt like a somewhat awkward attempt to make this story "matter" in Marvel continuity. It was OK but not really my favorite event story.

Captain America #24 is a "March to Axis" book and is pretty much wall to wall action. Falcon and Jet versus Zola and his invasion of NYC. Sharon's alive but older - what a coincidence yes? Anyway, this is good stuff. A lot of Remender's plot threads from the beginning of his run are paying off in a big way.

Moon Knight #7 is the first post-Ellis/ Shalvey issue. Brian Wood and Greg Smallwood are the new creative team. And right away, the scripting's not quite as good as it was, and the art's not quite as good as it was. Despite that, though, it's still a pretty good book. They're still following the same story template as Ellis was, with a lot of the same tics. At times it feels like a cover band but it's still a pretty fun read. I wasn't sure if I'd stick around after the creative change but for now I'm still on board.

She-Hulk #8 starts a new storyline with Jennifer representing Steve Rogers in a wrongful death suit. Soule's background as an attorney really helps him out here though clearly he's still taking a fair bit of dramatic license with the legal system. Jennifer not learning who opposing counsel is until the day of the trial is rather bizarre, for example. I will say, though, that his (and Pulido's, of course) depiction of Jen's prep, her lack of sleep the night before, and her morning-of-trial routine is pretty-well spot on.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 7th, 2014   RoseWilson is offline   #2
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

SHEHULK. I haven't read Death of Wolverine yet and Moon Knight, Bendis' X book this week and Star Lord were all at least decent but Shehulk was just all kinds of entertaining and awesome.

Old September 7th, 2014   superfriend is offline   #3
superfriend
laughs at comics

Moon Knight #7, She-Hulk #8, Death of Wolverine #1, Superior Foes of Spider-Man #15, Avengers World #12 for me this week...

and of course, Original Sin (OS #0-8, Daredevil #6-7, Avengers #29-34, Mighty Avengers #10-12, Uncanny X-Men #23-25, Guardians of the Galaxy #18, Thor & Loki #1-3, and Hulk/Iron Man #1-3). only one of these i wasn't already reading was the OS event series. i'll read it in one go here the next week or so.

i've only read Death of Wolverine, Avengers World and Superior Foes so far. Superior Foes careens toward its denoument. it's more of the same. let it be known, i enjoy Steve Lieber art as well. but seriously, SF=best. Boomerang. story. ever. Avengers World continues to tell its story. ...so more of the same there as well. kinda like a Nick Spencer book--it could go on forever if you let it.

Charles Soule is proving to not be like Nick Spencer with stuff like Death of Wolverine. woah. A-game, Charles. clever start, great pacing, this is like What If Superman Lost His Powers? but it's pretty cinematic. McNiven has put in better work (imo) elsewhen, but Old Man Logan and what bits of Logan we saw in Civil War give it a homey feel. oh, and Nuke. i enjoyed it more than i expected to.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old September 8th, 2014   RoseWilson is offline   #4
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

Ok I actually really liked Death of Wolverine number one. Same writer as She Hulk so I guess no surprise there but very different tone. Though I'm still not at all sold on the idea Logan is going to die and stay dead long term no matter the big talk to that end from the creators.

Old September 9th, 2014   Hannah is offline   #5
Hannah*
Floyd Girl

The only Marvel comic I picked up was Death of Wolverine and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Soule hit a home run with the tone that felt like Classic Wolverine with a modern touch. I will definitely check out the rest of the series.

`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
Old September 9th, 2014   Matches is offline   #6
Matches
stepping aside

Soule has shown a pretty amazing amount of range - just to pick three examples, She-Hulk, Letter 44, and Superman/ Wonder Woman read nothing alike, but they're all good books. It'll be interesting to see where Marvel puts him now that he's an exclusive - publishers don't hand out those exclusives quite as readily as they used to, and I suspect they will want him on something big. Avengers coming open next year....

Part of me would just love to see what he'd do on Spider-Man for a couple of years though.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 9th, 2014   superfriend is offline   #7
superfriend
laughs at comics

Soule has shown a pretty amazing amount of range - just to pick three examples, She-Hulk, Letter 44, and Superman/ Wonder Woman read nothing alike, but they're all good books. It'll be interesting to see where Marvel puts him now that he's an exclusive - publishers don't hand out those exclusives quite as readily as they used to, and I suspect they will want him on something big. Avengers coming open next year....

Part of me would just love to see what he'd do on Spider-Man for a couple of years though.
ddf
Matches View Post
i think you hit the nail on the head...it's range with him. i honestly still haven't pinned him down...and i've gone as far back as Strange Attractors and 27. a defining characteristic is that he is growing though. i found DoW one of the more refined/advanced efforts by him. for as much material as he's put out thus far, i find his style a bit chimerical.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old September 10th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #8
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Wasn't a fan of the Original Sin story. I find it hard to believe Earth has the technology for Fury to do what he was doing. Nor did I like his final fate or Uatu's. I think the Original Human Torch should have been a part of this. Don't understand how the Orb was a part of all this.