The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 13th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Unhappy Is Superman over the hill?

From CNN: At 75, is Superman over the hill?

I don't think he's over the hill, in fact I think more characters in comics should be like him. (i.e. an actual secret identity, supporting cast, consistent rogues gallery)

Old June 13th, 2013   thunderdude is offline   #2
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

I sort of wish the movies would use Mxyptlk and Bizarro to show the general public there is more to his villains than Luthor and Zod though.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old June 13th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #3
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I sort of wish the movies would use Mxyptlk and Bizarro to show the general public there is more to his villains than Luthor and Zod though.
ddf
thunderdude View Post
Or Mongul....or Brainiac....there are more than two planets that had life on them in the movie universe, I hope....

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 13th, 2013   Arcademan/PixieP is offline   #4
Arcademan/PixieP
Zettai daijōbu da yo

He could be...after all, when one jumps tall buildings in a single bound, what's a hill to the Man of Steel.

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
Neo-Geo Forum: Official WWE Thread- Results and news!
Old June 13th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #5
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
thunderdude View Post
Agreed. All we get is Luthor or Zod. How many times will we see a reconfiguration of these two in the movies? (Sigh...)

Old June 14th, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #6
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

the short answer No, the long answer it's hard to tell lots and lots of stories of a guy who is just fists (when he needs to be) almost all the rest have toys....but than i'm over the hill and he is my favorite ......so as we slide/fly down the backside ...be seeing ya, ruff ruff and away

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old June 14th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #7
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I think he is great character, but I don't find his stories interesting. I want to like the stories. I want to read interesting Superman stories.

Old June 14th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #8
Dr_Decipher

One of the most important things we have to realize about cultural institutions like Superman is that they're multi-generational and that, because of that, they're always new and fresh to the next new and fresh batch of little human beings coming down the pipe just behind us.

And, so, while characters like Superman have indeed gotten "old" to us past a certain point, they definitely haven't to the generation behind us. And so the challenge for each generation becomes how to live in a world where a lot of perennial things have become not only old to us, but perhaps even grating on our nerves.

Superman to me is old hat, and dull, and I'm mostly sick to death of him. But I also realize that this is just my own overexposure to the character.

It's a lot like Billy Joel songs. When I was young, I loved Billy Joel and never dreamt I might ever be able to get sick of his songs. And so I listened to basically every single Billy Joel song ever done, multiple, multiple times.

Now, some years later, I cannot stand another Billy Joel song. I actually groan when one of his songs comes on the radio. Yet I also take a moment to realize that there are always younger people who are discovering and enjoying Billy Joel for their first time, and so I smile about that and just move on.

Schoolteachers who teach one given subject pretty much have the same problem -- they have to repeat the same information year after year after year. It's like "repetitive motion injury" for the brain. And so the freshness challenge for them comes with the fact that every batch of students is different, and must be addressed differently. But I suppose even then, it may get to the point where all the students pretty much have the same range of problems and you get bored of that, too.

Maybe that's much of life -- figuring out how to address the boredom issue.

But I also think that a lot of people just don't ever want to let go and move on. They don't want to put aside Superman or their other childhood familiars, and so they're always desperately struggling to keep it fresh for themselves, way beyond when it any longer fits, like the same footed jammies you worn when you were five.

Picture a twenty-five or thirty year-old man who refuses to stop wearing the same jammies he wore when he was five, and you've pretty much got the image I'm alluding to here. And then picture the insane adjustments he would have had to make to those jammies in order for them to continue fitting his now much larger, adult body. Go on, do that.

And that's how much of the Superman audience seems to me -- they just won't let go and stop whining about the character's "limitations" and "freshness", when Superman is really a character for the young, and you have too many "Baby Huey" type grown-ups who just won't relinquish that baton for the runners coming up behind them.
Last edited by Dr_Decipher; June 14th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.

Why are the shallowest simpletons always the ones in control?
Old June 14th, 2013   Call Me El is offline   #9
Call Me El
Geoffan

Agreed. All we get is Luthor or Zod. How many times will we see a reconfiguration of these two in the movies? (Sigh...)
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Superman III had original villains - not an improvement.

PS. I still like Billy Joel.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old June 14th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #10
Dr_Decipher

And now that I've said that, here's my other completely different post on Superman:

When you really stop and think about it, I don't think the character of Superman necessarily sends a very good message in the first place, because the whole mythos basically teaches us that only a select few people will ever be just genetically and dynastically born into the right racial species of power in the first place, and that there is absolutely no substitute for that particular brand of luck when having the right tools to address life's problems.

People don't like to admit it, but Superman is eugenics. And so, in another sense, are Batman and most of the other DC characters, because they were just lucky enough to be born into the right kind of body and racial species in order to enjoy the pre-existing advantages that allowed them to really have the caliber of potency they do.

Hal Jordan and the Silver Age Flash, to my knowledge, are somewhat different from this, as they basically started out as semi-average people who either acquired their power through some sort of induction process that had either to do with character or luck. And luck, I suppose, isn't much different than what imbued Superman with his powers, so perhaps that's just more of the same.

Anyhow, this is a second reason for me to have outgrown Superman. The first reason was my previous post, but this second reason is perhaps the reason that drives my first -- that, as I've had a chance to grow up a bit and really think about it, I've come to resent the Superman premise in the first place. But most young kids won't yet be thinking about that; they'll only see so far as to be identifying with Superman and coveting his power. They won't yet have enough experience in life to come to actually resent the reality of people who are "born on third base" power-wise, and whose quality of life they will probably never be anywhere comparably privy to, no matter how good they really are, or how hard they actually try.
Last edited by Dr_Decipher; June 14th, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Old June 14th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #11
Dr_Decipher

PS. I still like Billy Joel.
ddf
Call Me El View Post
So do I -- I'm just completely sick of him.

Old June 14th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #12
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Thank goodness he's not from the Pacific Northwest.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 14th, 2013   chasm is offline   #13
chasm
Master Geoffan

I think he is great character, but I don't find his stories interesting. I want to like the stories. I want to read interesting Superman stories.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Agreed. I think it is the creative teams who fail Superman the most. His potential is limitless. Can you imagine if a truly innovative science fiction writer got his hands on the character? I'm not sure creators currently employed at DC have the literary education or the life experience to handle Superman. His comic book adventures seem so small, so repetitive. 8,000 endless conflicts with Lex Luthor, the Parasite and the Atomic Skull.

I just came back from "Man of Steel." Now THAT is a reboot worthy of Superman. I absolutely loved the film.

Old June 15th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #14
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Agreed. I think it is the creative teams who fail Superman the most. His potential is limitless. Can you imagine if a truly innovative science fiction writer got his hands on the character? I'm not sure creators currently employed at DC have the literary education or the life experience to handle Superman. His comic book adventures seem so small, so repetitive. 8,000 endless conflicts with Lex Luthor, the Parasite and the Atomic Skull.
I just came back from "Man of Steel." Now THAT is a reboot worthy of Superman. I absolutely loved the film.
ddf
chasm View Post
Well said. You're right in thinking DC needs to look outside of the box and get a writer that has a different perspective on life and life experience to bring (update?) forth interesting Superman stories.

Superman has timeless character themes: an immigrant, life purpose, goodness, greatness, duality, overcoming tribulations, adoptive parents, and more that I can't think of right now.

And, I'm not sick of Billy Joel. It makes me smile when I hear his songs. I think the only reason I'm not sick of Joel is that he's NOT from the Pacific Northwest; he has a redeeming quality.