The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 6th, 2012   Astro@work is offline   #17
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Looking forward to this a lot. As excited as I was for Levitz current run, it seems to have been lacking a certain something. Maybe that missing ingredient has been Giffen.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old December 7th, 2012   JRM is offline   #18
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Looking forward to this a lot. As excited as I was for Levitz current run, it seems to have been lacking a certain something. Maybe that missing ingredient has been Giffen.
ddf
To be honest - Paul has always been his strongest when he has an artist who is acting as co-pilot. Greg was a solid artist but, the book lost its emotional sharpness during his era. I think Marv Wolfman is also this type of writer. With outsomeone like George or even Gene Cohen, his books just seem kinda flat. Kieth, George and Gene are all good with expressing complex emotions in a single panel - not sure why, but I most other artist, I notice that their mouths are still pictures - with the three I mentioned (and there are others) I get pulled in better.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old December 7th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #19
mego joe
Geoffan

To be honest - Paul has always been his strongest when he has an artist who is acting as co-pilot. Greg was a solid artist but, the book lost its emotional sharpness during his era. I think Marv Wolfman is also this type of writer. With outsomeone like George or even Gene Cohen, his books just seem kinda flat. Kieth, George and Gene are all good with expressing complex emotions in a single panel - not sure why, but I most other artist, I notice that their mouths are still pictures - with the three I mentioned (and there are others) I get pulled in better.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Gene Colan?

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old December 7th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #20
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't believe that a writer gets better or worse with the artist that they're paired with, rather the story is simply told differently. Everyone is a fan of Levitz and Giffen during their run on the original book but when Giffen changed his style to evoke Jose Munoz for the Baxter series there were few fans who thought his style got better. However IMO it didn't make the stories worse. Or better. They were just told differently.

Would Identity Crisis be a worse or better story if Don Heck drew it? Herb Trimpe? Ed McGuiness? With comics being the visual medium that it is, it would be told differently but not due to the writer. Maybe that's the issue?

There area also instances where the writer submits a script without knowing who the artist is going to be.

Old December 8th, 2012   MikeGelbwasser is offline   #21
MikeGelbwasser
Neo Geoffan

It sounds that we will be in for a ride - I think that again we'll be able to say that "anything" can happen in the LSH again. Excited about this ride.

Long Live the Legion, eh
ddf
JRM View Post
Agreed. I hope DC gives Paul and Keith free reign to be creative in the 31st century again. I think Legion works best with nods to the 21st century, not tied to every company-wide crossover.

Old December 9th, 2012   scion969 is offline   #22
scion969
Advanced Geoffan

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't believe that a writer gets better or worse with the artist that they're paired with, rather the story is simply told differently. Everyone is a fan of Levitz and Giffen during their run on the original book but when Giffen changed his style to evoke Jose Munoz for the Baxter series there were few fans who thought his style got better. However IMO it didn't make the stories worse. Or better. They were just told differently.

Would Identity Crisis be a worse or better story if Don Heck drew it? Herb Trimpe? Ed McGuiness? With comics being the visual medium that it is, it would be told differently but not due to the writer. Maybe that's the issue?

There area also instances where the writer submits a script without knowing who the artist is going to be.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Well, as I understand it, there are some artists who contribute a lot more to the plot than others (and some writers who supply less detain on panel layout than others.) Giffen has always seemed to be an artist who is much more involved with panel layout and pacing from the interviews I've read.

So if you mean, would a story be better or worse because a book laid out in the exact same format with the same dialogue, then no - just your appreciation of it, but if an artist changes layouts that make the story better, and that influences the dialogue as well, it may be a tremendous improvement.