The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old May 18th, 2008   4PointOh is offline   #1
4PointOh
The Lower Frequencies

Default [Film] Marvel's universal approach makes it a world apart from DC

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...068b54a6876a08

Old May 18th, 2008   Kiryu is offline   #2
Kiryu
persona non grata

To be fair, Marvel has a huge advantage over DC when it comes to this. They have an in-house studio now, which lets them keep control over the film versions of the characters and do what they please with them. They're also(so far) only putting out Superhero flicks. They can also license out to other studios for distribution while retaining ownership of the characters, letting them spread it out across multiple distributing studios.

WB on the other hand can't throw out 3-4 $150million+ superhero flicks every year. Their film division has to put forth a more varied amount of material then Marvel making it much harder to set up a universe like that in a short amount of time without making a team movie(and from what I heard about JLA when it was in the works, it was going to be bad, real bad).

I'll wait to see how Hulk and Iron Man 2 are before I start caring about a shared universe. From the trouble between Norton and Marvel over the Hulk's direction he may not come back for a sequel, making a Tony Stark cameo in Hulk a bit pointless.

I do think WB could do a bit more with the DC properties it owns, I dug Superman Returns a lot but they haven't been able to make a flick as good as the 89 Batman and even Batman Returns yet.

ADDED: A new reporter in Superman Returns mentions a Superman sighting in Gotham City.
Last edited by Kiryu; May 18th, 2008 at 09:57 PM.

Old May 19th, 2008   Argent is offline   #3
Argent*
Puppet Headed Horseman

The difference is that DC is owned by a Media conglomerate instead of the other way around. And what is really sad is that it would seem that the TW Exec in charge of developing DC properties is a true idiot.

It's not just a podcast, it's a GEEK TRAGEDY!
Old May 19th, 2008   ADGood is offline   #4
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I love the fact that all it takes is one ten-second cameo by Sam Jackson, and, "Marvel wins! They have a universe!" It was a fun extra. And it'll be great if it pans out into something. But, personally, I'm just as content to wait until something actually happens before drawing definitive conclusions about whether it was a success.

Old May 19th, 2008   married guy is offline   #5
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

There's no contest when it comes to superhero films. Marvel kick DC's arse.

Both in quality AND quantity.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 19th, 2008   Cloud101 is offline   #6
Cloud101

That's probably true, but DC still has the #! super-hero movie and that's Batman Begins. Closely followed by Spidey 2. I think Dark Knight will surpass both of these. Even Iron Man.

Old May 19th, 2008   TJLamb0518 is offline   #7
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Who really cares? Pay your 10.00 plus, go see the movie and enjoy THAT experience (or don't). IF it ties into a bigger tapestry, ok. If not, enjoy the film you're watching (or don't).

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old May 19th, 2008   Mill4rd is offline   #8
Mill4rd
persona non grata

He has a huge Marvel Bias.

Old May 19th, 2008   married guy is offline   #9
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see DC start to make inroads when it comes to films, but I think with Marvel's set-up right now DC can't compete when it comes to creating a cohesive superhero universe on film.

Avi Arad really did a great job getting the ball rolling.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old May 19th, 2008   greenflameuk is offline   #10
greenflameuk
What Would Jack Bauer do?

I love the fact that all it takes is one ten-second cameo by Sam Jackson, and, "Marvel wins! They have a universe!" It was a fun extra. And it'll be great if it pans out into something. But, personally, I'm just as content to wait until something actually happens before drawing definitive conclusions about whether it was a success.
ddf
ADGood View Post
Yeah i see alot of people who seem to think that this whole shared universe thing is somehow part of Iron Man's success. I mean does anyone who doesn't read comics really care that Nick Fury showed up in a couple second clip that wasn't even in the main part of the movie but buried away at the end of the credits?.

Listen To The iFanboy Pick Of The Week Podcast!!...It's Grrreat!!.
Old May 19th, 2008   MattDiCarlo is offline   #11
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

The weird thing is that all of the SHIELD references in Iron Man seem sort of stilted and forced.

If people left without seeing the stinger, then they might wonder "Why was this thing tacked on?"

It felt sort of hokey to me. And I LOVE shared universes. I just didn't think the execution was great. Especially compared to the rest of the movie.

Old May 19th, 2008   TJLamb0518 is offline   #12
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

The weird thing is that all of the SHIELD references in Iron Man seem sort of stilted and forced.

If people left without seeing the stinger, then they might wonder "Why was this thing tacked on?"

It felt sort of hokey to me. And I LOVE shared universes. I just didn't think the execution was great. Especially compared to the rest of the movie.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
I felt it was purely for the fans. If you sat through the entire movie, up until the credits....you got a complete movie, soup to nuts. If you stayed past the credits, you got an additional scene that took nothing away from the film and was a little something something for the fans.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old May 19th, 2008   manwithnoname is offline   #13
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
ADGood View Post
Same here.

Who really cares? Pay your 10.00 plus, go see the movie and enjoy THAT experience (or don't). IF it ties into a bigger tapestry, ok. If not, enjoy the film you're watching (or don't).
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Very true.

Old May 19th, 2008   Lion Blade is offline   #14
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

I remember there being several threads about this kind of topic before everything went under, so I will just cut to the chase and say this, "Why don't all the members of the forum that are also writers come together and form a DC Movie Scriptwriter Brigade?" And yes, I'm being serious about this. Even though I'm leaning more toward the gaming industry (I'm a Full Sail graduate from Game Design program), I studied scriptwriting back in UCF and I wouldn't mind writing scripts for DC superhero movies (not just scripts for sequels to Superman Returns, but also scripts for Teen Titans and Anima). Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some forum members that are also writers (regardless of their level of experience) may be interested in doing scripts for DC superhero movies. So with all of that in mind, why don't the writer members of this forum form a DC Movie Scriptwriter Brigade? I'll add more to my comments once I hear your thoughts on this idea, but this kind of idea is better than criticizing WB as it could be a solution to some problems.

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.
Old May 19th, 2008   Devlyn16 is offline   #15
Devlyn16
CODA

A shared univerese doesn't affect the average movie going audience until the heroes share significant screen time.

If the average movie goer cared about shared universes we would referr to them as "Comic Book readers"

Is it wrong to Quote the Devil if what he is saying is true?
Old May 19th, 2008   mpjedi2 is offline   #16
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

ddf
ADGood View Post
Exactly.

I'd also like to point out that, in many ways, the most direct way to make a superhero work on film is to focus on THAT hero, and don't worry about how he/she ties into the "tapestry" of the shared comic book universe.

Jon Favreau and his team created a very compelling universe....for Iron Man. A high-tech world that's easy to fit SHIELD, AIM, even MODOK into...but now word's come down from Corporate that Thor, a Norse frellin' God, must be introduced in Iron Man 2.

And I still think that Downey, being only contracted for 2 movies (See the EW article:http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20198228_2,00.html), is gonna be a bit expensive when it comes time to do The Avengers.

Plus, they've gotta write these other movies, and find people to direct them who understand the material....

Don't count your chickens, as they say.