The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 17th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #209
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

...and from the other horse's mouth

Man of Steel: Christopher Nolan Opposed the Ending, DC Comics Advised on It

That explains so much...
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Well, THAT'S a misleading title. It should read "Man of Steel: Christopher Nolan opposed the ending, the guy who wrote Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and the guy who wrote Sucker Punch talked him into it"

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 17th, 2013   superfriend is offline   #210
superfriend
laughs at comics

Default “Man of Steel” sets a record for the biggest opening in June, ever.

MOS ftw.

Man of Steel soars to $200M Worldwide
http://comicsbeat.com/man-of-steel-s...51m-worldwide/

Superman Reboot 'Man of Steel' Snares $160M in Promotions
http://adage.com/article/news/superm...otions/241822/

observe everything, admire nothing
Old June 17th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #211
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

MOS ftw.

Man of Steel soars to $200M Worldwide
http://comicsbeat.com/man-of-steel-s...51m-worldwide/

Superman Reboot 'Man of Steel' Snares $160M in Promotions
http://adage.com/article/news/superm...otions/241822/
ddf
superfriend View Post
While I'll never understand the need some have to try and convince people that their opinions are wrong, I'll quote additional figures:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $200,081,192 51.2%
+ Foreign: $191,000,000 48.8%
= Worldwide: $391,081,192

6th highest grossing movie of the year in the US
9th highest grossing movie worldwide.

Oh, wait....those are the figures for Superman Returns. The one we all hated.

Old June 17th, 2013   superfriend is offline   #212
superfriend
laughs at comics

While I'll never understand the need some have to try and convince people that their opinions are wrong, I'll quote additional figures:
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
i have no idea what this statement has to do with my post.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old June 17th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #213
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Ftw?

Old June 17th, 2013   darthlucifuge is offline   #214
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Ftw?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
A common colloquial term used in the early 21st century during what we now call, the internet age. The phrases meaning is said to have translated to "For The Win". Some reports contest that the term originally originated further back in 20th Century East Los Angles, the term then meaning "F--- The World."

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old June 17th, 2013   Terry Sloane is offline   #215
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

It's interesting to see comic fans so completely upset by some of the decisions in the movie.

The climax is so much better as a character building exercise than the weightless ending of Iron Man 3.
ddf
magicspoon View Post
I agree - my son liked Supes a lot more than Iron Man 3. We plodded through the ending of that one.

Old June 17th, 2013   Terry Sloane is offline   #216
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

That explains so much...
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Zoe had it comin' - I am glad he isn't in the Phantom Zone with all of us speculating about "Zod II - The Revenge of Zod."

Old June 17th, 2013   5andman is offline   #217
5andman
Master Geoffan

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $200,081,192 51.2%
+ Foreign: $191,000,000 48.8%
= Worldwide: $391,081,192

6th highest grossing movie of the year in the US
9th highest grossing movie worldwide.

Oh, wait....those are the figures for Superman Returns. The one we all hated.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Well, Superman Returns

Movie budget was $270M with a marketing budget easily at $150M

Personally, I had no problem letting Singer continue...
Last edited by 5andman; June 17th, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Old June 17th, 2013   5andman is offline   #218
5andman
Master Geoffan

That explains so much...
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
I'd have to side with Snyder & Goyer.

If we went with the "Nolan Phantom Zone" ending, it'll be reminiscent of Superman I & II and a very predictable ending.

Old June 18th, 2013   Eric Q is offline   #219
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Which brings me back to the thought, sad as it may be, IMO, that Superman really has ceased to matter to the culture in any way. He's just another musclebound action hero, punching things and blowing stuff up, all sound and fury signifying nothing.

That may totally be the case, but I guess I was naive enough to think otherwise.

(No snark AT ALL in the above statement; just genuine regret).
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
The film/Superman actually has quite a few positive messages in the film.

The importance of the environment.
Freedom to choice what you want to do with your life.
The importance of of raising children right and supporting them.
Wearing underwear and not showing it.
Connecting with others rather than being inclusive and divisive.
Doing the right thing even when it may risk your well being.
Collaboration
Family isn't just who you are related to.
Oh boy, is this gonna upset you.

From what I've gathered, talking to people at college or anyone else around my age in their early 20's...they have no idea who the Lone Ranger is and think that this new movie is a NEW idea. Mind you, a lot of people my age have never even heard of John Wayne, let alone Roy Rogers. If it makes you feel better at least Clint Eastwood is still viewed as the quintessential Cowboy.

Welcome to the future!
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
During high school for me, I was into entertainment new and old. Bob Hope, Juror #8, Dean Martin, North by Northwest, 60s "animated" Marvel cartoons, etc.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old June 18th, 2013   thunderdude is offline   #220
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

I'd have to side with Snyder & Goyer.

If we went with the "Nolan Phantom Zone" ending, it'll be reminiscent of Superman I & II and a very predictable ending.
ddf
5andman View Post
You know what? me too. The ending was not one of this movie's problems. There are probably ten different ways to address this in the sequel rather than ripping off Donner.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old June 18th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #221
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Well, THAT'S a misleading title. It should read "Man of Steel: Christopher Nolan opposed the ending, the guy who wrote Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and the guy who wrote Sucker Punch talked him into it"
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Indeed.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 18th, 2013   5andman is offline   #222
5andman
Master Geoffan

... the guy who wrote Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and the guy who wrote Sucker Punch talked him into it"
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
+ AND, the guys who wrote Blade, 300, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight & The Dark Knight Rises?

Old June 18th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #223
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

+ AND, the guys who wrote Blade, 300, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight & The Dark Knight Rises?
ddf
5andman View Post
Worth the bold, was it?

It was a JOKE, puddin'-pop

Old June 18th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #224
mego joe
Geoffan

I can understand the criticisms of the ending and the other moments that seem to be out of character for Clark and Pa. However, I believe Man of Steel is a very well made film that put these pieces together in a believable way. At least they made me believe them. For the ending they presented an impossible situation- was there really an alternative in that moment for an inexperienced Superman who still doesn't know the extent of his powers? I don't think so. Was he happy about? No. He clearly seemed upset about what he did. SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
And I don't think it's because he destroyed the last Kryptonian besides himself. I think it's because he took a life.

I think it's because he went against what he was taught by Ma and Pa. Thankfully, there was no overt line about it in the film otherwise the ending would've been telegraphed.

As for Pa, I think his words were meant to indicate how much he loved Clark no matter what. I think any parent in that situation would be tempted to say the same thing- your child will always be more important to you than someone else's. However, the parent will be proud of that child if they make that decision, but I don't think a parent would ever tell a child to endanger him or herself. I think in this aspect the film was grounded in reality, I think it approached this particular situation from a perspective of -"what if we didn't know this was Superman." I think the most important lesson Clark learned from Pa was SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
his sacrifice so that Clark would not reveal himself.

If anything that had to be the moment that Clark learned how he should live his life- put others above yourself.

I think the reason these things worked was because this film really did function as "Superman Begins." We don't have a fully developed Superman until the end, we have a character who makes mistakes while learning how to be Superman. I don't think they even say "Superman" but 3 times in the film. I think a more experienced Clark does find another solution, but I don't think that would've served this story as well. I certainly think going forward we will see Superman confront another impossible situation and he will find an alternate solution. From Nolan's Bat-films I think we will see the themes addressed again in sequels.

Other stuff- I guess I'm the only one that didn't have a problem with Amy Adams as Lois Lane. SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
I didn't have a problem with her figuring out Clark's identity because it made complete sense with the story and it avoids the classic love triangle for future films which means we won't be retreading what's gone before. It will provide a situation much like the comics post Superman #50 (vol. 2) after he revealed his identity to her. It will also put their relationship on an honest footing.

I like it actually. I also like that it allowed Lois to be clever and not so campy.

I really liked the heavy sci fi elements of the beginning. I thought Russell Crowe and Costner did a great job in their roles. I thought Cavill was good too. I think he was supposed to be unsure of himself in a lot of moments because he was inexperienced. I don't want to say we had to wait through this to get to a 'real' Superman, but essentially this film laid the groundwork in a very entertaining way for a Superman that will seem more familiar. I think it was one of the better films that have tried to do this with characters.
Overall, I think it was extremely good. The only thing I would suggest that wouldn't make it a drastically different film would be to put the red trunks back on him. He will always look stupid and incomplete w/o the trunks.

Sequel ideas...

Brainiac/ Kandor, the Luthor/Brainiac team! and SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
New Krypton, he's still got all that DNA encoded inside him!

I can easily see some combination of the above!

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me