The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old March 16th, 2007   BlackTornado is offline   #1
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

Default Godzilla fans take notice

From Scifi.com comes this awesome news:

Godzilla Sequels Due On DVD

Classic Media, which recently released a restored version of the original Godzilla film, will release the sequels Godzilla Raids Again and Mothra vs. Godzilla on DVD on April 3.

As with the Godzilla release, each new title will include both the original Japanese version of the movie and its Americanized version. The new Godzilla DVDs will be available in retail outlets and online.

Godzilla Raids Again is the first sequel to the original movie, which was rushed to theaters six months after the release of the first film in 1955. The heavily re-edited U.S. version was released a few years later, in 1959, and features the voice of Star Trek's George Takei. Two new monsters emerged: the first similar to the original Godzilla, who was killed by the oxygen destroyer in the first film, and also named Godzilla, and the second a spiny dinosaur called Anguirus. The massive battle begins on Iwato Island, tumbles into the ocean and resurfaces on Osaka, threatening to level the city under the monsters' feet. Special bonus features include an Art of Suit Acting featurette.

Mothra vs. Godzilla was released in the United States as Godzilla vs. The Thing. It is the fourth installment in the Godzilla series and is considered by many fans to be one of the best in the series. The movie was released in Japan and the United States in 1964. When a giant egg washes up on the shores of Tokyo after a typhoon, greedy businessmen seize the opportunity to exhibit the item at an amusement park for profit. The shobijin, fairies from Infant Island, come to plead for the egg's return to its rightful owner, Mothra, but the men refuse the request. Soon Godzilla awakens and begins a trek across Tokyo, heading straight for Mothra's egg.

Fiona Glenanne: Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They should just put a bullet in your head and be done with it
Old March 16th, 2007   Skeletor is offline   #2
Skeletor
Neo Geoffan

Pretty cool, i just hope one day we get a better DVD verson of Godzilla vs Megalon.

Old March 16th, 2007   Augustine is offline   #3
Augustine
We win. My friend.

I'm probably one of the only people that want a US Godzilla movie done right. In other words a big mean fing Godzilla tearing up a city, blowing up planes and tanks with his breath, swatting sides of buildings with his tail and causing massive damage with no damn stupid Friends star at all in the film.

*sighs*

These are what dreams are made of...

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old March 16th, 2007   DigiRanma is offline   #4
DigiRanma

I wonder how many Godzilla films they can do before they get to the ones owned by Sony?

Old March 16th, 2007   AnaAesthetic is offline   #5
AnaAesthetic

This makes me so happy! Mothra vs. Godzilla is one of my favorites! I get a lot of my Godzilla titles from www.japanesemonsters.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rated R For Zombie Violence

Check out my radio show -- Just Push Play!
Or visit me at anaaesthetic.com
Old March 16th, 2007   JordanGLC is offline   #6
JordanGLC

I have both of these DVDs. I highly recommend them. You may have heard that the U.S. edit of Mothra vs. Godzilla aka Godzilla vs. The Thing on this DVD is not OAR, but a cropped 1.85:1. While that is unfortunately true, do not let that deter you from picking these up. If you're into Godzilla (and who isn't?), you gotta get these.

The SciFi.com article doesn't mention it (assuming BlackTornado pasted the entire article), but the title Godzilla Raids Again was released in the US as in 1959 was Gigantis The Fire Monster. Some of you may have seen it under that title. The SciFi.com article also states that the Classic Media Gojira DVD features a restored version of the film. That is incorrect. The film has never been restored.

I wonder how many Godzilla films they can do before they get to the ones owned by Sony?
ddf
If you're talking about Classic Media, they have the rights to:
Godzilla
Godzilla Raids Again
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster
Invasion of Astro Monster
aka Monster Zero
Godzilla's Revenge
Terror of Mechagodzilla

They also have the rights to War of the Gargantuas and will be releasing that on DVD as well.

I'm probably one of the only people that want a US Godzilla movie done right. In other words a big mean fing Godzilla tearing up a city, blowing up planes and tanks with his breath, swatting sides of buildings with his tail and causing massive damage with no damn stupid Friends star at all in the film.

*sighs*

These are what dreams are made of...
ddf
Why would you think you were the only one?

Old March 16th, 2007   Teen Lantern#2 is offline   #7
Teen Lantern#2
hot damn

From Scifi.com comes this awesome news:

Godzilla Sequels Due On DVD

Classic Media, which recently released a restored version of the original Godzilla film, will release the sequels Godzilla Raids Again and Mothra vs. Godzilla on DVD on April 3.

As with the Godzilla release, each new title will include both the original Japanese version of the movie and its Americanized version. The new Godzilla DVDs will be available in retail outlets and online.

Godzilla Raids Again is the first sequel to the original movie, which was rushed to theaters six months after the release of the first film in 1955. The heavily re-edited U.S. version was released a few years later, in 1959, and features the voice of Star Trek's George Takei. Two new monsters emerged: the first similar to the original Godzilla, who was killed by the oxygen destroyer in the first film, and also named Godzilla, and the second a spiny dinosaur called Anguirus. The massive battle begins on Iwato Island, tumbles into the ocean and resurfaces on Osaka, threatening to level the city under the monsters' feet. Special bonus features include an Art of Suit Acting featurette.

Mothra vs. Godzilla was released in the United States as Godzilla vs. The Thing. It is the fourth installment in the Godzilla series and is considered by many fans to be one of the best in the series. The movie was released in Japan and the United States in 1964. When a giant egg washes up on the shores of Tokyo after a typhoon, greedy businessmen seize the opportunity to exhibit the item at an amusement park for profit. The shobijin, fairies from Infant Island, come to plead for the egg's return to its rightful owner, Mothra, but the men refuse the request. Soon Godzilla awakens and begins a trek across Tokyo, heading straight for Mothra's egg.
ddf
BlackTornado View Post
Which movie is the 3rd installment if Godzilla vs. Mothra was the 4th?

And people ask why there is no "Teen Lantern."- Green Lantern John Stewart in Teen Titans #6
Old March 17th, 2007   JordanGLC is offline   #8
JordanGLC

Which movie is the 3rd installment if Godzilla vs. Mothra was the 4th?
ddf
Teen Lantern#2 View Post
King Kong vs. Godzilla

Old March 17th, 2007   BlackTornado is offline   #9
BlackTornado
Dazed and Confused

Pretty cool, i just hope one day we get a better DVD verson of Godzilla vs Megalon.
ddf
Skeletor View Post
when did this come out on DVD I've been looking for it??

Fiona Glenanne: Honestly, I don't know why they bother. They should just put a bullet in your head and be done with it
Old March 17th, 2007   DeTroyes is offline   #10
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

ddf
Skeletor View Post
"A film by Ingmar Bergman".

The MST3K version is still one of my absolute favorite episodes...

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old March 17th, 2007   jafabian is offline   #11
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I'd love to get all the Godzilla movies for my DVD collection. Has a box set ever been released?

Old March 17th, 2007   JordanGLC is offline   #12
JordanGLC

I'd love to get all the Godzilla movies for my DVD collection. Has a box set ever been released?
ddf
jafabian View Post
Toho put out the "Final Box" to commemorate the big guy's 50th birthday in 2004:
That box set is Region 2 and has no English subtitles.

A comprehensive Godzilla box set for the US can't happen. The rights to different movies belong to different distributors. There are a couple that have never been released on DVD in the US (plus one that hasn't but will be soon, and another that has only had a crappy PD release). Here's the list:

Godzilla (Gojira), or Godzilla King of the Monsters (1954, 1956)
This film has been released several times by GoodTimes, Simitar and Classic Media (twice). The latest release by Classic Media is a MUST OWN for any person into Sci-Fi. It features for the first time in America the original, uncut Japanese version of the film (i.e., no Raymond Burr). This DVD recently won the Rondo award for best DVD in 2006. Get it!!!!!

Godzilla Raids Again or Gigantis the Fire Monster (1956, 1959)
Classic Media. "Official" release in April, it's been available directly from Classic Media for months.

King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
Universal. DVD only has the US edit of film.

Mothra vs. Godzilla or Godzilla vs. The Thing or Godzilla vs. Mothra (1964)
Simitar and Classic Media have both released this in the past. Get Classic Media's 2nd release of this film, available in April (or now if you order directly from CM).

Ghidorah (or Ghidrah) the Three Headed Monster (1964)
Classic Media. It's supposed to be released in June.

Invasion of Astro Monster or Monster Zero or Godzilla vs. Monster Zero (1965)
Simitar and Classic Media, with CM's release set for June (btw the Simitar releases have long been OOP and CM acquired their rights to these films).

Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (1966)
Sony

Son of Godzilla (1967)
Sony

Destroy All Monsters (1968)
ADV released this twice, although I believe it is now OOP. Both times it was WS but not anamorphic, and only the US edit. Shouldn't be that hard to track down.

Godzilla's Revenge (1969)
Simitar and Classic Media. Wait for CM's re-release, release date yet to be announced.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah or Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster (1971)
Sony

Godzilla vs. Gigan or Godzilla on Monster Island (1972)
Sony

Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
Both Alpha Video and Ace Video (or Passion Productions) released crappy public domain pan & scan versions of this years back. If memory serves, the US rights are currently available to anyone who wants to acquire them from Toho, but there seems to be no interest because of the Alpha and Ace releases. Also, Digital Disc of Canada released this as a double feature with Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster. I don't have that so I can't comment on the quality.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla or Godzilla vs. The Cosmic Monster or Godzilla vs. The Bionic Monster (1974)
Sony

Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
Simitar and Classic Media. Same situation as Godzilla's Revenge.

Godzilla 1985 (1984, 1985)
Not released on DVD. The identity of who, if anyone, that owns the rights to this film is a bit of a mystery. Has been released on VHS.

Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
Not released on DVD. Dimension has the rights. Has been released on VHS.

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
Sony. This was released as part of a double feature with:

Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992)
This disc is full screen and only has the English dubbed versions of the films.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 (1993)
Sony

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla (1994)

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
This disc only has the English dubbed versions of the films.

Godzilla 2000 (1999, 2000)
This disc only has the US edit of the film.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
Sony

Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack (2001)
Sony

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
Sony

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)
Sony

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
Sony

Old March 17th, 2007   Not My Real Name is offline   #13
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

Man, I wish I'd written this: Godzilla's Journal

II + II = VII
Old March 20th, 2007   JordanGLC is offline   #14
JordanGLC

New cover art for Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster and Invasion of Astro Monster

Old March 20th, 2007   Mackaybear is offline   #15
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Toho put out the "Final Box" to commemorate the big guy's 50th birthday in 2004:
That box set is Region 2 and has no English subtitles.

A comprehensive Godzilla box set for the US can't happen. The rights to different movies belong to different distributors. There are a couple that have never been released on DVD in the US (plus one that hasn't but will be soon, and another that has only had a crappy PD release). Here's the list:

Godzilla (Gojira), or Godzilla King of the Monsters (1954, 1956)
This film has been released several times by GoodTimes, Simitar and Classic Media (twice). The latest release by Classic Media is a MUST OWN for any person into Sci-Fi. It features for the first time in America the original, uncut Japanese version of the film (i.e., no Raymond Burr). This DVD recently won the Rondo award for best DVD in 2006. Get it!!!!!

Godzilla Raids Again or Gigantis the Fire Monster (1956, 1959)
Classic Media. "Official" release in April, it's been available directly from Classic Media for months.

King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
Universal. DVD only has the US edit of film.

Mothra vs. Godzilla or Godzilla vs. The Thing or Godzilla vs. Mothra (1964)
Simitar and Classic Media have both released this in the past. Get Classic Media's 2nd release of this film, available in April (or now if you order directly from CM).

Ghidorah (or Ghidrah) the Three Headed Monster (1964)
Classic Media. It's supposed to be released in June.

Invasion of Astro Monster or Monster Zero or Godzilla vs. Monster Zero (1965)
Simitar and Classic Media, with CM's release set for June (btw the Simitar releases have long been OOP and CM acquired their rights to these films).

Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster (1966)
Sony

Son of Godzilla (1967)
Sony

Destroy All Monsters (1968)
ADV released this twice, although I believe it is now OOP. Both times it was WS but not anamorphic, and only the US edit. Shouldn't be that hard to track down.

Godzilla's Revenge (1969)
Simitar and Classic Media. Wait for CM's re-release, release date yet to be announced.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah or Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster (1971)
Sony

Godzilla vs. Gigan or Godzilla on Monster Island (1972)
Sony

Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
Both Alpha Video and Ace Video (or Passion Productions) released crappy public domain pan & scan versions of this years back. If memory serves, the US rights are currently available to anyone who wants to acquire them from Toho, but there seems to be no interest because of the Alpha and Ace releases. Also, Digital Disc of Canada released this as a double feature with Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster. I don't have that so I can't comment on the quality.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla or Godzilla vs. The Cosmic Monster or Godzilla vs. The Bionic Monster (1974)
Sony

Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
Simitar and Classic Media. Same situation as Godzilla's Revenge.

Godzilla 1985 (1984, 1985)
Not released on DVD. The identity of who, if anyone, that owns the rights to this film is a bit of a mystery. Has been released on VHS.

Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
Not released on DVD. Dimension has the rights. Has been released on VHS.

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992)
This disc is full screen and only has the English dubbed versions of the films.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 (1993)
Sony

Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla (1994)

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
This disc only has the English dubbed versions of the films.

Godzilla 2000 (1999, 2000)
This disc only has the US edit of the film.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
Sony

Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack (2001)
Sony

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
Sony

Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)
Sony

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
Sony
ddf
JordanGLC View Post

Thanks for a very complete listing.

I did not know that Sony had Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla. I will track it down and then get Godzilla Raids Again and then I will have seen all of them.

I'd second the notion that everyone needs to see the original Japanese Gojira. It's so different of a Godzilla movie. It was meant as an anti nuclear statement and is much scarier than the English recut/redub.

And I wish someone would put Godzilla vs Biolante on DVD. It's one of my favorite Godzilla movies. An original monster, and has some old fashioned monster hand to hand fighting. As opposed to some of the later movies that were just fights with optically added rays thrown back and forth. It's a very underrated movie.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old March 20th, 2007   JordanGLC is offline   #16
JordanGLC

I did not know that Sony had Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla. I will track it down
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
Look for this: