The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old May 18th, 2013   DaVeO is offline   #1
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

Default Avengers, Avengers, Avengers (and a dash of X-Men)

Gotta say. If there was one thing to pull me back into Marvel, it would be excellent writing. And so far John Hickman's two Avengers books (but especially New Avengers) and Rick Remender's Uncanny Avengers are sucking me back in.

Hickman's stuff is reminding me a little of when Ellis shook up Stormwatch. High concept, big stakes and crazy villains. Throwing in the New Universe was just icing for this closet NU fan.

Today I explained why I'm enjoying Uncanny Avengers to a buddy. All I had to do was talk about the concept out loud and realize just how much fun this comic is. It's so gonzo and crazy 70's plot that it just freakin' WORKS.

Looking forward to Brian Wood's X-Men because, y'know, he's a frikkin' literary demi-god. And actually, for once since Civil War, actually hyped about a Marvel event, Infinity.

I will be quite sad when X-Factor finishes but I guess I found a few more reasons to stick with Marvel. I have FCBD, my LCS and their 50% off back issues to blame for getting into these books btw.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old May 18th, 2013   Hierarch555 is offline   #2
Hierarch555
Master Geoffan

I recommend both of bendis' X-books. I'm not a big fan of his but he really surprised me with both books. Also check out Captain America (since you like Uncanny Avengers), Hawkeye, Daredevil, Mighty Thor, FF (but not Fantastic Four lol) and Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run (if you haven't already).

P.S. - If you aren't reading Wood's Conan the barbarian, you should be.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old May 18th, 2013   SmilingKnight is offline   #3
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

I recommend both of bendis' X-books. I'm not a big fan of his but he really surprised me with both books. Also check out Captain America (since you like Uncanny Avengers), Hawkeye, Daredevil, Mighty Thor, FF (but not Fantastic Four lol) and Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run (if you haven't already).

P.S. - If you aren't reading Wood's Conan the barbarian, you should be.
ddf
Hierarch555 View Post
Also Wood's 'Maya' to follow more of his strong female character stuff he loves to write

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron
Old May 20th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #4
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I'm still enjoying the Avengers books but I can't figure out when each is happening in Marvel continuity. I have to tell myself to forget it and just enjoy the story.

Old May 20th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #5
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Agreed all 3 are really good...As well as the 2 X-Books Bendis is writing....But I am really enjoying Uncanny Avengers

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old May 20th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #6
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Wood's Conan = Yes!

Old May 21st, 2013   Amentep is offline   #7
Amentep

I'm enjoying Avengers/New Avengers

And Young Avengers

Just started picking up Uncanny Avengers but its been interesting so far.

Looking forward to Wood's X-Men.

I'm also enjoying Fearless Defenders pretty well.

Old May 30th, 2013   DaVeO is offline   #8
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

Ahh yes, I'm also reading Fearless Defenders for my unabashed love of Valkyrie. I may get The Fearless on digital for $2 a pop as it's sorta a set-up for this series.

So Bendis is doing good on X-Men? Because i really, really, really dislike his Avengers. I read All-New #1 as part of the digital promo they had, it wasn't bad but I still feel the concept is ridiculous even by Marvel's standards.
Between that and Age of Ultron I think Bendis is dipping into the time travel well too often.

I have to read Wood's Conan, agreed. I already get The Massive and Star Wars so what's one more?

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old May 30th, 2013   darthlucifuge is offline   #9
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

So Bendis is doing good on X-Men? Because i really, really, really dislike his Avengers. I read All-New #1 as part of the digital promo they had, it wasn't bad but I still feel the concept is ridiculous even by Marvel's standards.
Between that and Age of Ultron I think Bendis is dipping into the time travel well too often.
ddf
DaVeO View Post
His run on the X-Titles has been awesome so far. Give them a shot man.
As for time travel. It's not just Bendis. It's been happening in a bunch of titles.
Methinks all this messing with time is going to lead to something big.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards