The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Town Hall > ComicBlogs: The Voice of the People

ComicBlogs: The Voice of the People Everyone gets a blog, subscribe to others' blogs, get feeds, and more!

Old October 12th, 2012   DaVeO is offline   #1
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

Default Bye bye (for the most part) Big Two

I've been on the Big Two train for many a mile. Began with a Crisis, went through a Mutant Massacre. I've seen a Genesis, a death of a Superman and Heroes Reborn. I championed books that I felt passionate about such as Birds of Prey, Manhunter, Exiles and X-Factor. There was a time I felt certain I would always be part of one or another universe.

Now, not so much.

It started first with Marvel and their insistence of shoving Avengers and X-Men into every title. Of homogenizing these two factions and taking away any semblance of uniqueness. It was just to get as many characters in as many titles as possible.

I also remember the Marvel implosion of the 1990's and the year [1996] Marvel declared bankruptcy. A few years after Marvel Knights was launched and revived the comic line with fresh ideas and blood. Nothing like hitting bottom to make a company reach for the top. Shame I think they are falling back on old habits creatively if not financially. Marvel NOW doesn't do a lot to dissuade me.

Over at DC COIE followed by Legends followed by Justice League was my comic gateway into that universe for the most part and I've been a consistent fan ever since. Sure there were low points as well but for the most part I fondly look back at most of what they produced.

New52

I was for the most part excited with this announcement. At the time I was only getting LOSH, Secret Six and Batgirl. And although I still miss two of those titles what was coming with the change had many of my hopes up. I still think the stories are rather good and it brought back diversity to the line even if there is a dozen Bat books. DC seemed determined to at least try and have something for everyone while Marvel's universe got smaller and smaller with even less diversity in terms of genre or solo female titles.

Then a funny thing happened to me as I picked up the zero issues of Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest. I realized I didn't really care about these or any heroes futures. Just like that the impact of the old DCU vanishing really hit me. The legacy lost. It was all fairly sad as these characters I grew up with now just became heroes in name only. With Marvel it was different as most of the characters I liked were just slowly disappearing over the course of being featured less and less. With DC it hit me all at once. Strange that.

So recently with my now sudden disinterest of the DCU and my growing apathy with marvel I started looking at the indies again. I already read many Vertigo and the Hellboy universe that Mike Mignola has crafted (Lovecrafted?) is possibly now my fave comic world of all time. But it was time to look past even Dark Horse, Vertigo and even Image.

Dynamite and IDW were my next logical choices. The call of the pulp heroes and their less complicated continuity greatly intrigued me but it has been IDW's licensed properties mainly, that I have become really excited over.

I am reading Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles again. I can't believe it and my fifteen year old self would be fairly happy with my choices. I also discovered the beauty/terror that is 30 Days of Night having just read the first omnibus. The best thing about all of this is that I can get double (sometimes triple due to a sale) the amount of books via digital download. GLEE!

No editorial mandates, no guest starring appearance or unnecessary crossovers. The copyright holders seem to realize that the fan base is older and wiser now and so they have other ways of producing revenue from those properties like toys and television and leave the comics well enough to their own devices.

So as I start my new/renewed passion into comics and I say a final goodbye to the favourite titles Marvel and DC produced that will remain with me forever. Although I still have a very small foot in both companies; X-Factor as long as Peter David is aboard and fun comics from DC Digital First like the Beyond titles. I consider myself on another track heading out of this two horse town.

A final adieu to the titles that had a lasting impact on me from the Big Two.

Marvel
Uncanny X-men: Claremont's 17 yr masterpiece.
West Coast Avengers: The first 50 issues.
New Mutants: Claremont's run.
Excalibur: Claremont/Davis
X-Factor: The start with the fab five to the end of David's first run and the continuation with the current series.
New Universe: Yep, I was the other guy who bought and liked it.
Marvel Team-Up: Helped me learn about the Marvel U.
The Defenders: First volume, helped to nourish my love for B-Listers.
The Avengers: Stern then Byrne's run. Then Heroes Return until Busiek left.
Exiles:Winick's fantastic beginning.
Astonishing X-Men: Whedon/Cassady's seminal run of course.
Thunderbolts: Ellis's short but sweet year.
Next Wave: Ellis. Bliss. Fleshy Ones.
Captain America: Nothing but Bru and Bucky.
Incredible Hercules: Pak/Van Lente gave us the best Herc saga ever.
Alpha Flight: #1-26 Byrne's classic and only run on this book.
G.I.Joe/Transformers/Star Wars/Micronauts: My first encounter with licensed comics and ones I'll always remember.

DC
Crisis on Infinite Earths: Still my fave mini of all time.
Kingdom Come: My fave Alex Ross project.
Justice League: Giffen/Demaitties/Maguire/Hughes then Morrison. Also the classic Perez run which I have not read enough of.
Batman:Grant/Breyfogle was my fave stint.
Justice League Europe:Giffen/Sears
Invasion:First mega event I got all the crossovers for. I really love alien invasion stories.
Suicide Squad:Ostrander is the man.
Hawkworld: See above.
L.E.G.I.O.N.: Giffen then Grant and hello Barry Kitson one of my new fave artists.
All-Star Squadron: Golden Age goodness.
JSA:Modern age Golden Age goodness. The first vol. is still the best work Geoff has ever done, IMO.
Birds of Prey: First Dixon then of course Simone. I truly felt very close to this title having been there from the very first one-shot and seen it grow and grow and grow.
Secret Six: Simone's last best work if you ask me.
Batgirl: Batgirl's adventures were not long but they were the most fun I've seen at the company for awhile. Brian Q. Miller changed a lot of minds about Steph.
Legion of Super Heroes/Legionaires: Post Zero Hour. This was my LOSH!
Checkmate: Damn, I still miss this series. Like Suicide Squad it was ahead of it's time. Thanks Greg Rucka.
Manhunter: Words can't express my love for this comic. Andreyko if you ever come back to her, so will I.
Power Girl: Gray/Palmiotti/Connor. Too short a run by far, but it was memorable.
Gotham Central: Rucka/Brubaker/Lark. Where is our television series?
Catwoman: Brubaker/Cooke/Cameron then later Pfeifer.
Jonah Hex: Gray/Palmiotti. Proved that westerns without super heroes can kick ass. Or maybe just Jonah Hex.
Special Mention to Wildstorm: I was once this close to completely switching over from DCU to Wildstorm.

It was a great ride.
Last edited by DaVeO; October 12th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old October 12th, 2012   ronaldj is offline   #2
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

i am slowly getting there myself...

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old October 12th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #3
jafabian
Iím not dead.

Please read this before posting in the blog forums: http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84997

Old November 14th, 2012   DaVeO is offline   #4
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

Please read this before posting in the blog forums: http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84997
ddf
jafabian View Post
This is what I get now when I try and access Comicblogs

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user: '[email protected]' (Using password: YES) in /homepages/45/d124496324/htdocs/comicbloc/blogs/includes/database.mysql.inc on line 31

Old November 16th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #5
jafabian
Iím not dead.

According to Magicspoon the blogs haven't been maintained by who created the domain. Hopefully they can be recovered later on but it's possible they might not be.

Old November 26th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #6
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I've been on the Big Two train for many a mile. Began with a Crisis, went through a Mutant Massacre. I've seen a Genesis, a death of a Superman and Heroes Reborn. I championed books that I felt passionate about such as Birds of Prey, Manhunter, Exiles and X-Factor. There was a time I felt certain I would always be part of one or another universe.

Now, not so much.

It started first with Marvel and their insistence of shoving Avengers and X-Men into every title. Of homogenizing these two factions and taking away any semblance of uniqueness. It was just to get as many characters in as many titles as possible.

I also remember the Marvel implosion of the 1990's and the year [1996] Marvel declared bankruptcy. A few years after Marvel Knights was launched and revived the comic line with fresh ideas and blood. Nothing like hitting bottom to make a company reach for the top. Shame I think they are falling back on old habits creatively if not financially. Marvel NOW doesn't do a lot to dissuade me.

Over at DC COIE followed by Legends followed by Justice League was my comic gateway into that universe for the most part and I've been a consistent fan ever since. Sure there were low points as well but for the most part I fondly look back at most of what they produced.

New52

I was for the most part excited with this announcement. At the time I was only getting LOSH, Secret Six and Batgirl. And although I still miss two of those titles what was coming with the change had many of my hopes up. I still think the stories are rather good and it brought back diversity to the line even if there is a dozen Bat books. DC seemed determined to at least try and have something for everyone while Marvel's universe got smaller and smaller with even less diversity in terms of genre or solo female titles.

Then a funny thing happened to me as I picked up the zero issues of Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest. I realized I didn't really care about these or any heroes futures. Just like that the impact of the old DCU vanishing really hit me. The legacy lost. It was all fairly sad as these characters I grew up with now just became heroes in name only. With Marvel it was different as most of the characters I liked were just slowly disappearing over the course of being featured less and less. With DC it hit me all at once. Strange that.

So recently with my now sudden disinterest of the DCU and my growing apathy with marvel I started looking at the indies again. I already read many Vertigo and the Hellboy universe that Mike Mignola has crafted (Lovecrafted?) is possibly now my fave comic world of all time. But it was time to look past even Dark Horse, Vertigo and even Image.

Dynamite and IDW were my next logical choices. The call of the pulp heroes and their less complicated continuity greatly intrigued me but it has been IDW's licensed properties mainly, that I have become really excited over.

I am reading Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles again. I can't believe it and my fifteen year old self would be fairly happy with my choices. I also discovered the beauty/terror that is 30 Days of Night having just read the first omnibus. The best thing about all of this is that I can get double (sometimes triple due to a sale) the amount of books via digital download. GLEE!

No editorial mandates, no guest starring appearance or unnecessary crossovers. The copyright holders seem to realize that the fan base is older and wiser now and so they have other ways of producing revenue from those properties like toys and television and leave the comics well enough to their own devices.

So as I start my new/renewed passion into comics and I say a final goodbye to the favourite titles Marvel and DC produced that will remain with me forever. Although I still have a very small foot in both companies; X-Factor as long as Peter David is aboard and fun comics from DC Digital First like the Beyond titles. I consider myself on another track heading out of this two horse town.

A final adieu to the titles that had a lasting impact on me from the Big Two.

Marvel
Uncanny X-men: Claremont's 17 yr masterpiece.
West Coast Avengers: The first 50 issues.
New Mutants: Claremont's run.
Excalibur: Claremont/Davis
X-Factor: The start with the fab five to the end of David's first run and the continuation with the current series.
New Universe: Yep, I was the other guy who bought and liked it.
Marvel Team-Up: Helped me learn about the Marvel U.
The Defenders: First volume, helped to nourish my love for B-Listers.
The Avengers: Stern then Byrne's run. Then Heroes Return until Busiek left.
Exiles:Winick's fantastic beginning.
Astonishing X-Men: Whedon/Cassady's seminal run of course.
Thunderbolts: Ellis's short but sweet year.
Next Wave: Ellis. Bliss. Fleshy Ones.
Captain America: Nothing but Bru and Bucky.
Incredible Hercules: Pak/Van Lente gave us the best Herc saga ever.
Alpha Flight: #1-26 Byrne's classic and only run on this book.
G.I.Joe/Transformers/Star Wars/Micronauts: My first encounter with licensed comics and ones I'll always remember.

DC
Crisis on Infinite Earths: Still my fave mini of all time.
Kingdom Come: My fave Alex Ross project.
Justice League: Giffen/Demaitties/Maguire/Hughes then Morrison. Also the classic Perez run which I have not read enough of.
Batman:Grant/Breyfogle was my fave stint.
Justice League Europe:Giffen/Sears
Invasion:First mega event I got all the crossovers for. I really love alien invasion stories.
Suicide Squad:Ostrander is the man.
Hawkworld: See above.
L.E.G.I.O.N.: Giffen then Grant and hello Barry Kitson one of my new fave artists.
All-Star Squadron: Golden Age goodness.
JSA:Modern age Golden Age goodness. The first vol. is still the best work Geoff has ever done, IMO.
Birds of Prey: First Dixon then of course Simone. I truly felt very close to this title having been there from the very first one-shot and seen it grow and grow and grow.
Secret Six: Simone's last best work if you ask me.
Batgirl: Batgirl's adventures were not long but they were the most fun I've seen at the company for awhile. Brian Q. Miller changed a lot of minds about Steph.
Legion of Super Heroes/Legionaires: Post Zero Hour. This was my LOSH!
Checkmate: Damn, I still miss this series. Like Suicide Squad it was ahead of it's time. Thanks Greg Rucka.
Manhunter: Words can't express my love for this comic. Andreyko if you ever come back to her, so will I.
Power Girl: Gray/Palmiotti/Connor. Too short a run by far, but it was memorable.
Gotham Central: Rucka/Brubaker/Lark. Where is our television series?
Catwoman: Brubaker/Cooke/Cameron then later Pfeifer.
Jonah Hex: Gray/Palmiotti. Proved that westerns without super heroes can kick ass. Or maybe just Jonah Hex.
Special Mention to Wildstorm: I was once this close to completely switching over from DCU to Wildstorm.

It was a great ride.
ddf
DaVeO View Post
My own experience has been amazingly similar to yours. Up until about 4 years ago I picked up several non-Big 2 titles, and then, as my son's birth neared, I dropped almost every non-DC title I was buying so that I could concentrate my narrowing spending money on the universe and characters I enjoyed the most: DC.
BIG MISTAKE. Eggs, meet one basket.

So then the Nu52 happened, and within 5 months of trying the Nu-titles it became apparent that this was not for me. For several months I focused on back issues, and eventually began to miss picking up new titles each week. Since then I have either caught back up on many non-Big 2 books that I had reluctantly dropped, or had come along since then.
(Marvel started to leave me cold for the most part around the end of the Busiek/Perez AVENGERS run, and upon Bendis' arrival at Marvel their characters began to take on personalities and characterizations that just didn't feel right to me).

I'm having more fun reading new books each week than I have in a very long time. DYNAMITE has probably been the place where I have found the most comics that I enjoy: I never stopped picking up their Red Sonja titles, but now I am also getting (or getting caught up on):
Green Hornet (just the minis like the YEAR ONE's that feature the early 20th century GH & Kato)
Kirby Genesis and the peripheral related titles like Capt. Victory, etc.
The Shadow
The Spider
Zorro
Lone Ranger
Flash Gordon
Last Phantom
Project Superpowers and related series
Warlord of Mars and related series
Lord of the Jungle
Pathfinder
the upcoming MASKS mini
...and possibly others that I can't think of right this minute.

I've also begun getting caught back up on Hellboy and related titles like BPRD. I'm really embarrassed that I ever dropped them in the first place. Amazing what the panic of an impending childbirth will cause one to do.

I never dropped CONAN or any other Dark Horse R.E. Howard-related titles. I've now added THE GOON (Why in the hell did I look at that book every month for the past 43 issues thinking "Man, that looks cool" and not pick it up until now?), recent DH output by Richard Corben, John Arcudi's THE CREEP, 47 RONIN, and I can't wait for THE BLACK BEETLE to get started!!! There may be a couple of other DH books that I'm forgetting... I need to get caught back up on USAGI YOJIMBO as well!

I have always picked up the PERHAPANAUTS minis, and a few other Image titles are looking interesting to me, too. I'm considering checking out IDW's D&D comics. I'm keeping an eye on Vertigo for stuff I might like (and getting stuff I should have been buying all along like NORTHLANDERS in trade).

Anyway, other than Batman Beyond and the animated titles (GL Adventures and YJ), The Nu-52 is off my list. I won't refuse to buy a DC book if it looks interesting (like Giffen's upcoming THRESHOLD and LOSH once Giffen starts drawing it; notice the common thread there), but for the most part I'm off the Big 2 train and I'm enjoying new comics more than I have in a long time.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 25th, 2013   DaVeO is offline   #7
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

My, times have changed in the last few months in my comic readings. While I have mainly stuck to my guns, indie comics still dominate my lists of choice: Star Wars, SW:Legacy, All Mignola Projects, Hypernaturals, Death Match, TMNT, Transformers, Locke & Key, American Vampire, Chew, The Massive, The Wake.

Marvel is sticking its big fat toe into my door again. With the recent announcement of X-Factor's end *sniff,sniff* a co-worker of mine has been giving me his digital codes for Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers and All New X-Men *gasp! A Bendis Title* as well as lending me the first Daredevil HC by Waid.

Damn, this is good, good stuff. After reading all this I decided to put my preconceived notions aside and read the first Avengers Arena trade. Man, was I surprised. Being a big fan of Avengers Academy and Runaways I was all set to hate this, but I heard the characters were written interestingly. Also, lots of new C-Listers and some old faves (Cammi from Drax is in here!?!). As well as the concept of the Braddock Academy. Ok, last time I judge a book by its concept before reading...promise.

Because of Hopeless's strong outing in AA I'm going to try Cable and X-Force and maybe even Fan 4/FF, although Hickman will be hard to top, having read Fraction's 1st Hawkeye issue I'll give it a go. Maybe Waid's Hulk too...

Now can DC do the same with me? Well, Justice League 3000 may have the best chance of it. That and a new Manhunter series written by Marc Andreyko.

Old June 25th, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #8
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

My, times have changed in the last few months in my comic readings. While I have mainly stuck to my guns, indie comics still dominate my lists of choice: Star Wars, SW:Legacy, All Mignola Projects, Hypernaturals, Death Match, TMNT, Transformers, Locke & Key, American Vampire, Chew, The Massive, The Wake.

Marvel is sticking its big fat toe into my door again. With the recent announcement of X-Factor's end *sniff,sniff* a co-worker of mine has been giving me his digital codes for Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers and All New X-Men *gasp! A Bendis Title* as well as lending me the first Daredevil HC by Waid.

Damn, this is good, good stuff. After reading all this I decided to put my preconceived notions aside and read the first Avengers Arena trade. Man, was I surprised. Being a big fan of Avengers Academy and Runaways I was all set to hate this, but I heard the characters were written interestingly. Also, lots of new C-Listers and some old faves (Cammi from Drax is in here!?!). As well as the concept of the Braddock Academy. Ok, last time I judge a book by its concept before reading...promise.

Because of Hopeless's strong outing in AA I'm going to try Cable and X-Force and maybe even Fan 4/FF, although Hickman will be hard to top, having read Fraction's 1st Hawkeye issue I'll give it a go. Maybe Waid's Hulk too...

Now can DC do the same with me? Well, Justice League 3000 may have the best chance of it. That and a new Manhunter series written by Marc Andreyko.
ddf
DaVeO View Post
if your reading All New X-Men you should give Uncanny a try. Just as good.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 25th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #9
jafabian
Iím not dead.

if your reading All New X-Men you should give Uncanny a try. Just as good.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post

I look forward to every issue that comes out. It's a solid read.

Old June 25th, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #10
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

i picked up the new X men bok and liking it so far...one anyway

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old June 29th, 2013   DaVeO is offline   #11
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

i picked up the new X men bok and liking it so far...one anyway
ddf
ronaldj View Post
Oh I read that too. Wood usually does no wrong for me. His books are a bit talky but it's always fascinating talky.

Uncanny is the Cyclops lead book right?

Old July 1st, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #12
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

Oh I read that too. Wood usually does no wrong for me. His books are a bit talky but it's always fascinating talky.

Uncanny is the Cyclops lead book right?
ddf
DaVeO View Post
Yes it is

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old July 8th, 2013   DaVeO is offline   #13
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

I am really, REALLY digging the two Transformers titles. More Than Meets the Eye has some of the best banter and Robots in Disguise has a great plot that is fleshing out Transformers history like I've never seen before.