The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old June 28th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #1
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Default Green Lantern history according to the new 5yr timeline?

Anyone else try to make sense of this?

I want to move on, so I can just enjoy the books on their own merits but I just can't wrap my head around it.

Just going off of the top of my head...

Shortly after Hal got his ring, Sinestro is discovered using his ring to rule Korugar and his sector with an iron fist (thanks to Hal).

Then he gets tried on Korugar, and then again by the Guardians (who banish Sin to the Anti-Matter Universe where he ends up on Qward, meets the Weaponers, and uses his power of persuasion/manipulative mechanizations to form an alliance with the Weaponers who then forged him a yellow ring)

Then, he returns to the positive matter universe by himself sometime after all of that to take revenge on Hal, gets his arse handed to him a bunch of times, sending him packing back to the antimatter universe.

Then, there's the time Sin kidnapped Guy, messed with his mind, used him like a puppet to lure Hal in and watch them fight, and then held Guy captive to enable his own escape when things went south.

Then there's the Power War, where Sin and the Weaponers unleash themselves on the positive matter universe, resulting in the genocide of some alien races and the deaths of billions (off panel back then of course unlike most of the gore you mostly see shown on panel nowadays) and the near destruction of the GLC (albeit Sin agreed to switch sides and help Hal stop the Weaponers before any more damage was done once Hal was able to get Sin to realize the amount of havoc he had helped unleash on the entire universe by telling him that there would be nothing left for Sin to rule over if everything gets destroyed)

Then there's the time he convinced a newly returned Guy Gardner just after CoIE and Star Sapphire to team up and ambush Hal.

Then, again after CoIE, there's the time Sin shared his knowledge of the Guardians secrets with the Mad God Sector 3600, and convinced it to destroy the Guardians (where the Mad God Sector then unleashed itself on the universe which resulted in the genocide of some alien races, including Kilowog's race, and the deaths of billions) which is why Sin was executed/killed and how his soul then entered the Central Power Battery in the first place.

Then Sinestro bonds with the Yellow Impunity (now known as Parallax) starts to destroy the GLC as well as disrupting the well being of the universe, or something, until Hal enters the Central Power Battery to stop Sin (where Hal gets infected by the Yellow Impunity as part of its agreed bonding with Sin so the Yellow Impurity/Parallax Entity would ruin Hal's life and reputation the same way Sin felt Hal ruined his reputation and life after he exposed Sin as the dictator he was according to the retcon) which left the GLC and CPB destroyed as well as thousands of GL's dead at the end of volume 2/GLC #224 published in 1987/88.

After that Sin doesn't appear again for years after volume 3 started, until the Guardians gave Sinestro a new body for his soul to inhabit and they release him from the newly repaired Central Power Battery to fight Hal (where he killed a duplicate of Sin created by the Yellow Impurity/Parallax Entity according to the retcon in GL: Rebirth) all the way into ET (GL #48 published in 1994/95?) and doesn't reappear until Rebirth (where he then doesn't reappear until the SCW Special).

Sin also ordered Despotalus (sp?) to kill Kyle's mother (which it did in Ion #11) before the SCW Special.

Add in the full year Hal was exiled into deep space by the Guardians for disobeying them (even though Hal saved the universe by doing so) and it makes my head hurt trying to fit it all into just 5yrs.

Has anyone else felt this way with the new timeline when it comes to the GL books?

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old June 28th, 2012   Thrillho is offline   #2
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

Has anyone else felt this way with the new timeline when it comes to the GL books?
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
I'm still trying to keep track of Hal's nieces, nephews, and in-laws, who blink in and out of existence at will. They can't even keep it straight whether it's Jim or Jack who is dead (sometimes it's both of them, sometimes it's neither).

Hey, there's your answer: there are a few near-parallel timelines where Hal has a different extended family (that's how you can tell them apart), and each of those Hals participated in some but not all of the adventures you're trying to make sense of. So the Hal of Earth-1.00001 comes from the timeline where both Jim and Jack are dead, and Jack had a daughter named Helen; in that timeline, Hal became the Spectre and Sinestro was definitely dead. The Hal of Earth-1.00002 is from a timeline where Jim is alive and has two kids, and Sinestro only faked his death -- that's the timeline where "Rebirth" happened. And so on.

I defy you to prove me wrong.

Old June 28th, 2012   PyroTwilight is offline   #3
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Honestly at this point I don't know what to make of the GL timeline. The biggest change was that Kyle Rayner, from what New Guardians #1 showed, was chosen like any other Green Lantern essentially though it still referenced his original origin a bit by apparently having him be hand picked by Ganthet but still a part of the GLC. At this point I don't know if Hal WAS ever possessed by Parallax and if he was it must've been very different from what occurred in the original Emerald Twilight and its later retcons.

Old June 28th, 2012   ADGood is offline   #4
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Psst...dude. Dude. Ix-nay on the Trying To Make Ense-Say Of... uh... Ontinuity-Cay. It'll Urt-Hay your Rain-Bay.

Old June 29th, 2012   c-man is offline   #5
c-man
Neo Geoffan

It's even worse in the Batman titles, where every side-kick he's ever had somehow manages to squeeze into that same five year period.

Old June 29th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #6
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Honestly at this point I don't know what to make of the GL timeline. The biggest change was that Kyle Rayner, from what New Guardians #1 showed, was chosen like any other Green Lantern essentially though it still referenced his original origin a bit by apparently having him be hand picked by Ganthet but still a part of the GLC. At this point I don't know if Hal WAS ever possessed by Parallax and if he was it must've been very different from what occurred in the original Emerald Twilight and its later retcons.
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post
I know. Not only that, but with this new 5yr timeline Hal, John, Guy are only a few years older than Kyle and Katma Tui had to be only a few years older than Soranik Natu (Sin's daughter and Kyle's ex-girlfriend who hated her biological father/Sin and someone who hasn't been seen in the comics since Kyle moved over to the New Guardians book from GLC)

If everything is just condensed into just 5yrs with only a few tweeks to fit within the rest of the newly revamped DCU (like the Bat-books supposedly are) then why are we having more than that being done with the GL and Bat-books?

I expected just a few tweeks to GL history (like they promised) not a whole bunch of retcon's and things being ignored by writers.

I'm surprised that Kyle isn't angry at Sin for killing his mother, Kilowog isn't angry at Sin for the murder of his entire race, and Guy isn't angry at Sin for contributing to his brain damage (now that Guy's sane again)

It confuses me about John's history as well (especially with the Marine retcon)

From young, rebellious, architectural student being partially trained as a back up GL by Hal and Appa Ali Apsa, to a professional architect who would rather focus on his work than his back up GL duties, to a reluctant GL being fully trained by Katma Tui after Hal quit because the responsibility of the ring became too much for Hal to continue to bare at that point, to John and Katma eventually falling in love and later getting married, to Katma's murder by Star Sapphire and the destruction of Xanshi which led to John's mental breakdown, to the Road Back which eventually led to Mosaic and John's rise to Guardianship as the Master Builder and everything after that just can't be condensed into 4 or 5yrs no matter how much I try.

Psst...dude. Dude. Ix-nay on the Trying To Make Ense-Say Of... uh... Ontinuity-Cay. It'll Urt-Hay your Rain-Bay.
ddf
ADGood View Post
I know, I know. I just can't help myself.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old June 29th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #7
jafabian
Iím not dead.

I don't even know what GL's are dead or have returned. I've heard Arkkis Chummuck's name mentioned in a few stories, making me wonder if he's back or not.

Old July 2nd, 2012   Thirdflash is offline   #8
Thirdflash
Geoffan

Here's how I look at it:

I haven't hurt my brain because as far as I'm concerned, the GL series is the only one that seems to be following the original continuity without actually making reference to 5 year rewind. I mean, other than Hal's inclusion in the Justice League comic, have you seen anything that ties them together? As far as I'm concerned, until they start messing around with the GL books and including things like Daemonites and Stormwatch and that other junk from the DCnU, I can actually enjoy the GL books. For me, nothing's changed in the GL books. It's continuing on as previously scheduled.

Question: when all those that your opinion differs from are gone, do you get lonely talking to yourself? I guess you wouldn't if you were Mob Rule.
Old July 2nd, 2012   c-man is offline   #9
c-man
Neo Geoffan

But even there, things can't be quite status-quo, because neither Jade (another of Kyle's old flames) nor G'nort (say what you want, but he figured in significantly in Guy's storyline) ever existed in this new timeline.

Old July 2nd, 2012   DRMOUSE2814 is offline   #10
DRMOUSE2814
Beta Lantern

I don't even know what GL's are dead or have returned. I've heard Arkkis Chummuck's name mentioned in a few stories, making me wonder if he's back or not.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Hmmm... didn't hear that one.

I wonder if Katma Tui was ever married to John. Certainly Darkstars must have been flushed.

..but Vibe's still around.

Old July 2nd, 2012   ADGood is offline   #11
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

One of the old comics that I found while cleaning up has a backup story featuring G'Nort, in which we are introduced to a new villain, a sentient flea-monster named Phleeze.

I like to imagine that he's Larfleeze's secret brother or something.

Old July 3rd, 2012   BrandonFordDodds is offline   #12
BrandonFordDodds
Geoffan

I'm still pondering how Blackest Night happened.

I'm pretty sure most hero's involved saw the JSA, or other characters that aren't around currently, fighting Black Lanterns.

Makes no sense at all.

In new DCU, taco eats you. -Hernandez Didio
Old July 5th, 2012   ADGood is offline   #13
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I'm still pondering how Blackest Night happened.

I'm pretty sure most hero's involved saw the JSA, or other characters that aren't around currently, fighting Black Lanterns.

Makes no sense at all.
ddf
BrandonFordDodds View Post
The part with the goo zombies happened, but the parts with the JSA didn't. I guess the parts with the JSA goo zombies didn't, either. But the parts with the regular goo zombies did. Except for the parts where the regular goo zombies fought the JSA. Or the parts with the goo zombies of other people who aren't in the JSA but who also aren't part of the current DCU. Those didn't happen. But the other parts did. And probably some of the parts that didn't, just different, with people who were there. Instead of the ones who definitely weren't.

Hope that clears things up, amigo!

Old July 6th, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #14
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

The part with the goo zombies happened, but the parts with the JSA didn't. I guess the parts with the JSA goo zombies didn't, either. But the parts with the regular goo zombies did. Except for the parts where the regular goo zombies fought the JSA. Or the parts with the goo zombies of other people who aren't in the JSA but who also aren't part of the current DCU. Those didn't happen. But the other parts did. And probably some of the parts that didn't, just different, with people who were there. Instead of the ones who definitely weren't.

Hope that clears things up, amigo!
ddf
ADGood View Post
And don't forget to remove Ray Palmer as well, which makes you wonder who was the avatar for the Indigo Tribe...

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old July 6th, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #15
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

No mention of Air Wave yet?

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old July 6th, 2012   ADGood is offline   #16
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

And don't forget to remove Ray Palmer as well, which makes you wonder who was the avatar for the Indigo Tribe...
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Given that we now know the Indigos to be made up entirely of (previously) unrepentant sociopaths and psychopaths, one wonders why they ever chose Ray in the first place.

I suppose that choosing Joker would have given too much away too early. Oh, Geoff, you sly devil you.