The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old April 21st, 2012   JRM is offline   #1
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Default Your personal all time favorite GL era ...

Bet you know the rules by now ...

Hard one for me - Geoff but not until after the start of the Senestro Wars arc till about the end of Black Lantern arc or the O'neil/Adams/Grell - GL/GA era. Have to give the nod to the earlier issues if pressed.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old April 21st, 2012   EmeraldGladiator is offline   #2
EmeraldGladiator
Neo Geoffan

1) Geoff Johns run Rebirth-Sinestro Corps War: it brought my favorite character back to the land of the living and prominence, showing how a Green Lantern story done right could move the masses and went on to the Sinestro Corps War which is the best thing DC comics has put out in the last 25 years in a regular main universe title. It also made Green Lantern a franchise again, not only a franchise but DC's 2nd biggest, spawning the Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern New Guardians and the Red Lanterns books.
2) Gerard Jones Volume 3 issues #1-35, my first Green Lantern renaissance, from no Green Lantern book being published to a storyline so epic it grew into a franchise of three titles, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Mosaic and Guy Gardner. His run showed the vastness of the Green Lantern concept giving you straight super hero fare on Green Lantern, a book with 90's sensibilities and comedy in Guy Gardner and more impressively a Vertigo-like book in Mosaic. Teasing a hunt for the lost Alan Scott and ending with the Third Law which brought back Arisia and the battle with Entropy. It also gave birth to the Green Lantern Corps Quarterly which gave Alan a spot to shine, and allowed different writers a chance to introduce many new Green Lanterns to the mythos via Tales of the Corps like adventures.
Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; April 21st, 2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: forgot GLCQ

Old April 21st, 2012   jafabian is offline   #3
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I always wished that Len Wein and Dave Gibbons stayed longer on the series. As such they get an incomplete grade but what they kicked off had soooo much potential.

O'neill/Adams was incredible but they focused more on the man than they GL. And afterwards stories become more story-driven and weren't looking so much at character development and Geoff's doing that right now though he seems to be going into the story-driven approach now. But at least he's established the characters.

So to rank it would be O'neill/Adams, then Geoff and various artists and then Wein/Gibbons with Wolfman/Staton at fourth. Marv and Joe gave us the Omega Men!

Old April 21st, 2012   superfriend is offline   #4
superfriend
laughs at comics

Wein/Gibbons is my personal all-time fave.

Geoff is next.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old April 21st, 2012   Green Guardsman is offline   #5
Green Guardsman
Master Geoffan

Geoff's run is my favorite.

Old April 21st, 2012   Alan is offline   #6
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

O'Neill/Adams, and Rebirth onwards. I also love anything by Gil Kane, particularly towards the later stages where he got more bendy and exciting (which coincided with Joe Giella departing strangely..... ).

I do have fond memories of Dave Gibbons' stuff, and the Joe Staton era was ok too.

Old April 21st, 2012   thunderdude is offline   #7
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

O'Neil/Adams/Grell followed by Johns/Van Scriver.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old April 21st, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #8
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

O'Neil/Grell, then Mike W. Barr/Len Wein and Dave Gibbons.

After Crisis, Englehart, and then Gerard Jones (until the editorial change and strife because that's when the work started to suffer because of conflicting ideas between the editor and the writer which you could see in the output)

Then I'd say Geoff and Gibbons work in both GL & GLC until after Secret Origins.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old April 21st, 2012   Bill_Nailer is offline   #9
Bill_Nailer

Like the Legion, I was never much of a Green Lantern fan, but the Wein/ Gibbons, and the Wolfman/ Staton runs are in my collection.

Bill recommends: Fans of Tellos should buy Skyward from Action Lab. You won't regret it.
Old April 21st, 2012   DRMOUSE2814 is offline   #10
DRMOUSE2814
Beta Lantern

Tough call, but to boil it down, from Rebirth to Blackest Night. It was actualy pretty simple: Geoff and Co. showed what GL could be, not just setting the stage but blowing the roof off the theater. Now that were down the road a bit, there's a mix of good and bad that's come out of it but bringing back the Hal and the Corps *without* tossing Kyle aside like so many of his contemporaries were still comes across as epic.

Old April 22nd, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #11
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Geoffs run from Rebirth to right before Blackest Night. But a close second is Marz, then Winicks on Kyle. Love those stories.

Old April 22nd, 2012   Thrillho is offline   #12
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

1) Geoff Johns run Rebirth-Sinestro Corps War: it brought my favorite character back to the land of the living and prominence, showing how a Green Lantern story done right could move the masses and went on to the Sinestro Corps War which is the best thing DC comics has put out in the last 25 years in a regular main universe title. It also made Green Lantern a franchise again, not only a franchise but DC's 2nd biggest, spawning the Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern New Guardians and the Red Lanterns books.
2) Gerard Jones Volume 3 issues #1-35, my first Green Lantern renaissance, from no Green Lantern book being published to a storyline so epic it grew into a franchise of three titles, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Mosaic and Guy Gardner. His run showed the vastness of the Green Lantern concept giving you straight super hero fare on Green Lantern, a book with 90's sensibilities and comedy in Guy Gardner and more impressively a Vertigo-like book in Mosaic. Teasing a hunt for the lost Alan Scott and ending with the Third Law which brought back Arisia and the battle with Entropy. It also gave birth to the Green Lantern Corps Quarterly which gave Alan a spot to shine, and allowed different writers a chance to introduce many new Green Lanterns to the mythos via Tales of the Corps like adventures.
ddf
EmeraldGladiator View Post
Those are my two picks as well, though I would flip the order. I'm not even totally sure that I really want to flip them, except that Jones doesn't get nearly enough love and I feel like someone ought to pick him as #1.

... Never mind, I can honestly place "The Road Back" as my favorite arc ever. It for Hal what "Rebirth" later had to do, only it took it slower and didn't operate through huge retcons (which I can't fault Geoff for; seeing how completely DC tried to ruin Hal, it wasn't something that could be corrected just by Hal doing manual labor and taking stock of himself).

Hal taking the form of the various Mosaic species' spiritual leaders is my favorite clever Hal trick of all time.

So it's "The Road Back", then Geoff's pre-BN run, then the rest of Gerard's empire.

Old April 23rd, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #13
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

It's a tie between the Wein/Gibbons run and Johns' run from Rebirth through Blackest Night... with Gerard Jones awesome run a very close second (Mosaic and Guy Gardner included).

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 23rd, 2012   Thrillho is offline   #14
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

I also gotta give a lot of love to Tomasi for GLC, which has been super consistently solid. So consistent, in fact, that I sort of forget about it, much as I forget about how much I enjoy oxygen until I am deprived of it. No hyperbole there or anything, mind you.

Tomasi's "Batman and Robin" as well is an ongoing joy, and I'm pleased to say Damien and Bruce are starting to understand each other.

Old April 23rd, 2012   Alan is offline   #15
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I also gotta give a lot of love to Tomasi for GLC, which has been super consistently solid. So consistent, in fact, that I sort of forget about it, much as I forget about how much I enjoy oxygen until I am deprived of it. No hyperbole there or anything, mind you.

Tomasi's "Batman and Robin" as well is an ongoing joy, and I'm pleased to say Damien and Bruce are starting to understand each other.
ddf
Thrillho View Post
What he said. Tomasi produces the goods every month.

Old April 23rd, 2012   DRMOUSE2814 is offline   #16
DRMOUSE2814
Beta Lantern

What he said. Tomasi produces the goods every month.
ddf
Alan View Post
When going through my collection, I find a lot of the good stuff has Tomasi somewhere in the mix.