The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old April 5th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Smile Justice League International issue #8 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

The plan was for the JLI was to be installed as Earth's official protective team. But once Breakdown attacked, that all came to a swift and sudden end. Now, as the pall of death and injury hang over the team, all that matters is survival. Featuring the introduction of a surprise new team member!

Story by
Dan Jurgens
Art by
Aaron Lopresti, Matt Ryan
Colors by
Hi-Fi
Letters by
Travis Lanham
Cover by
David Finch, Richard Friend, Jeromy Cox
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Wed, April 4th, 2012
ddf

Old April 5th, 2012   leonmallett is offline   #2
leonmallett
comics fan

With the cover there is not much surprise is there? Not that i am still reading this title mind you, but that solicitation copy seems a tad silly...

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old April 12th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

You know I really want to like the book. I've liked Jurgens' writing in the past, I've found the art to be solid superhero story art, I like many of the characters.

And yet I feel like 8 issues in the title still hasn't gelled; it still feels like its the launch issues and you expect it to find its feet in a couple of issues.

Maybe it doesn't help that it feels like the story has been one long arc (even though it shouldn't), but I'm finding the character stuff to be a little too "on the nose" (Godiva and August General's little dialogue a few issues ago) and leading to unearned emotionality (The Generals protective reaction to Godiva being hurt) or just unearned sentiment (Batman declaring the League as he and Booster Gold know it dead - that would be the league that's existed for 8 issues and one storyline / event).

I do like the inclusion of Batwing (but then I'm reading his solo comic) and hope that he sticks around. I can't help but feel that the end of the arc where Rocket Red is looking at the remains of the giant robot is going to play into his fate beyond what we're seeing in the comic. I still want to see what these character end up doing.

But somehow the book needs to come together better than it is. I'm sticking with it for now because I have enjoyed it, but that's going to wane if I continue to feel frustrations over the characters and plots in terms of set-up and follow-through.

Old April 12th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #4
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I think #8 is my last issue. This book just isn't for me...and I think I stuck around longer than I normally would have because of my affection for the original series. I even really like'd Winicks Generation Lost...but this book does nothing for me.

So this...Green Arrow, Teen Titans are the most recent books making the chopping block the past two weeks.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old April 12th, 2012   Alan is offline   #5
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

If I had any sense I would dump it too. This is what happens when you give fans what you think they want (the Giffen/Dematteis JL of the late 80's), even though those involved don't want to do it as they know it's time has gone. So they get Jurgens to imitate it. Result; a book that satisfies no-one and never will. The only way this would work would be to give it to someone new and tell them to have fun. It might be awful but it wouldn't be boring, which is exactly what we have now.

It just feels so old. The cast aren't great, but blowing them up at the end of their first arc wasn't a great idea either as it was basically throwing out whatever had been established along the way. Being an official alternative to the JL isn't the worst idea, but that just got booted this issue already.

Old April 13th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #6
Amentep

I really haven't tried to view this as a continuation of the Giffen/Dematteis league, so that may be why I've managed to stay with it as long as I have.

Some of my interest in the characters (Guy, Ice, Fire) certainly comes from that period, but I never expected this title to be a "Bwa-Ha-HA" title.

I think part of the issue though is assuming the reader should "know" the characters from their previous versions (but, new universe so...) and so a lot of the deconstruction of the team (their fights, the life/death drama of the explosion) doesn't work and feels like the story is trying for an emotional gravitas that it hasn't earned with the readers yet.

I think the team is a good team, but there needs to be some work done on the title (if the damage hasn't already been done).

Old April 13th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #7
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

If I had any sense I would dump it too. This is what happens when you give fans what you think they want (the Giffen/Dematteis JL of the late 80's), even though those involved don't want to do it as they know it's time has gone. So they get Jurgens to imitate it. Result; a book that satisfies no-one and never will. The only way this would work would be to give it to someone new and tell them to have fun. It might be awful but it wouldn't be boring, which is exactly what we have now.

It just feels so old. The cast aren't great, but blowing them up at the end of their first arc wasn't a great idea either as it was basically throwing out whatever had been established along the way. Being an official alternative to the JL isn't the worst idea, but that just got booted this issue already.
ddf
Alan View Post
I thought Generation Lost was a great book...they should have stuck with Winick on the writing chores and kept the feel more like that. It could still be saved but I don't see them getting rid of Jurgens. This is the problem though if it gets cancelled they will say there isn't a market for it...even though Gen Lost did well.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old April 13th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #8
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

If I had to guess, I would say the problem with this book stems from the rushed nature of the reboot. Obviously a new JLI ongoing of some kind was planned to spin out of Gen Lost, and it was probably pretty well-developed and plotted out when the word came down about the reboot. I think what we are reading (or I was reading up until #5 when I dropped it) is the product of a hasty patch-job to try to bring the already conceptualized and probably already written first issue(s) in line with the reboot. That might explain the dark-haired mystery girl who vanished from the early previews of #1's cover, the odd feeling when reading the book that it is being written as if we are supposed to know the characters already even though they are now "all-new", the reason Batman had confidence in Booster Gold (as he did pre-FP because of his knowledge of Booster's role as "the greatest hero you've never heard of", etc.

I think it's a poorly-patched reworking of a title whose production was already well underway before the reboot, and as a result... it stunk, IMO. And I LOVE the Giffen/DeMatties JLI, I really like Jurgens' writing most of the time, I like the team roster of the current JLI book... I should have enjoyed it, but it just didn't work for me.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 13th, 2012   TTitanFan25 is offline   #9
TTitanFan25
Geoffan

I think #8 is my last issue. This book just isn't for me...and I think I stuck around longer than I normally would have because of my affection for the original series. I even really like'd Winicks Generation Lost...but this book does nothing for me.

So this...Green Arrow, Teen Titans are the most recent books making the chopping block the past two weeks.
ddf
Bagged & Boarded View Post
I so wanted to love this title, mainly because of my love for Generation Lost.

I dropped it a couple of months ago and I just dropped TT too. This issues aren't moving fast enough, I feel like I'm getting robbed monthly.

Old April 13th, 2012   Alan is offline   #10
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

TT is fine. I have no idea who all these people are but it's fun and feels like its going somewhere, and I'm happy to let it play out. The tie-ins with Superboy etc are interesting too. I hadn't bought TT since the Wolfman days so I have sense of loss with any previous incarnation. JLI feels leaden and is just comics-by-numbers. No invention or wit at all.

Old April 13th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

I'm surprised (to some extent - I know everyone has different opinions) to see all the love for Generation Lost here.

I bought the first issue and dropped it like a hot potato.

Old April 13th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #12
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I'm surprised (to some extent - I know everyone has different opinions) to see all the love for Generation Lost here.

I bought the first issue and dropped it like a hot potato.
ddf
Amentep View Post
I didn't love it. It was okay at first, but as soon as Giffen left as co-plotter, the quality dropped off big time, IMO. I didn't think it was AWFUL, but Winnick's writing has never impressed me, and he didn't seem to know how to write some of the characters in a compelling way (again, just my opinion). I stuck through it because I used to collect any and all Justice League titles, good bad or ugly.
The DCnU has freed me from that particular compulsion.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 13th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #13
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I didn't love it. It was okay at first, but as soon as Giffen left as co-plotter, the quality dropped off big time, IMO. I didn't think it was AWFUL, but Winnick's writing has never impressed me, and he didn't seem to know how to write some of the characters in a compelling way (again, just my opinion). I stuck through it because I used to collect any and all Justice League titles, good bad or ugly.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Good. Collecting something you don't like simply out of devotion isn't a good thing.

Lots of stuff I didn't like, I didn't buy.

Did not supporting things I didn't like always result in the changes I was hoping for?

No, but it saved me a lot of money and heartache nonetheless.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old April 13th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #14
Amentep

ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
I loved Winnick's Exiles at Marvel; I liked Outsiders okay for the first 6-8 issues but lost interest in it. Then most of the stuff since then I didn't care for for various reasons - including Generation Lost. Not saying it was necessarily bad, but certainly not to my own tastes for whatever reason.

However, all that said, I've actually liked Batwing pretty well so far.

Old April 13th, 2012   Alan is offline   #15
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Also never impressed by Mr W, but his Catwoman is not bad at all, so that's something. Haven't read any of his Batman run though, with the Red Hood stuff.

Generation Lost was bareable but not exactly a masterpiece. But I think the general goodwill amongst fandom for the 'old' JLI has unfortunately landed us with this peace offering to fans that at the end of the day we don't really want. Though there are certainly some here who were saying they liked it to start with. But you can't always get away with repeating a successful formula - especially with sub standard ingredients.

Old April 14th, 2012   Matches is offline   #16
Matches
stepping aside

Jurgens will turn in a professional script just about every time, but he lacks the skill as a writer to really invest his characters with any panache or flair. Whoever called it "comics-by-numbers" hit it dead on the head. Jurgens will reliably give you something that's coherent, but there's an utter lack of subtlety - characterizations are almost always completely "on-the-nose" and his scripts rarely convey any gravitas whatsoever.

The first few issues of JLI, with that said, were pretty good, I thought. Vanilla but in a relatively enjoyable way. I dropped it after #5 though, as boredom set in pretty quickly. It actually read a lot to me like his last attempt at writing the JLI (right before the Doomsday story) - kind of a watered down version of the "real deal".

@allstarmatches on Twitter.