The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old February 4th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Angry Is it me or do power rings seem less powerful than they used to be?

Comes across to me as though since Hal's return from the dead the power rings have been portrayed as being less than what they were when Kyle was the only GL. Batman once told Kyle that the ring can do anything the wearer wants as long as they put their mind to it and Kyle once even reignited a sun with his ring. I don't see something like that happening again. Except maybe if the entire Corps was involved.

In the latest issue of Justice League Hal was pretty much owned by Darkseid. I'd like to think he could have done better.

Old February 4th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #2
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Comes across to me as though since Hal's return from the dead the power rings have been portrayed as being less than what they were when Kyle was the only GL. Batman once told Kyle that the ring can do anything the wearer wants as long as they put their mind to it and Kyle once even reignited a sun with his ring. I don't see something like that happening again. Except maybe if the entire Corps was involved.

In the latest issue of Justice League Hal was pretty much owned by Darkseid. I'd like to think he could have done better.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Actually, I preferred the ring as a "universal peace keeping tool" with limitations and A.I. programming that the bearer could go to for assistance/information over the "most powerful weapon in the universe" retcon (too deus ex machina for me).

Also, Kyle had a different ring than the GL's before him (no A.I., no need to recharge, etc,)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old February 4th, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #3
Outside_85
persona non grata

Power Rings always seemed to be better weapons on paper than in display, sure they pulled off some good performances a few times...but over all they didnt seem to be that good as the talk made them.

Old February 4th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #4
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

I think it makes sense that Darkseid can take down any given member of the Justice League without much effort. Since Wonder Woman is a demigod now, Darkseid should be at least twice as powerful as her. Consistency!

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old February 4th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #5
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Power Rings always seemed to be better weapons on paper than in display, sure they pulled off some good performances a few times...but over all they didnt seem to be that good as the talk made them.
ddf
Outside_85 View Post
I don't ever recall the ring even being called a weapon before Kyle's run.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old February 5th, 2012   Thrillho is offline   #6
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

I don't ever recall the ring even being called a weapon before Kyle's run.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Me neither, and I've never been comfortable thinking of it that way; it can do so much more than destroy. And yet, "anything the wearer wants as long as they put their mind to it" turns it into a wishin' genie, which is going too much in the other direction.

I opine there's a lot of fine print that goes into power rings. Let's talk about the old "automatically protects its wearer from harm" function, which I suspect is still there as much as ever ... that doesn't mean that the wearer is suddenly immortal, it just means that the ring will do its best to automatically deal with obvious threats to the wearer's life. You suddenly find yourself in the vacuum of space? A bubble will be constructed with your favorite breathin' gas. A bus is about to smack into you? Force field. You're a Daxamite and you've just gotten a lead bar shoved through your torso? The ring will counter the lead poisoning. But the ring's not going to be proactive enough to beat up Sonar for you, or automatically cope with the Manhunters' nanobot infection; those are just too complicated for the ring to know how to handle without conscious guidance.

Old February 5th, 2012   JRM is offline   #7
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

For me less is generally best. There are a lot more story possibilites when writers are constently trying to come up with compelling problems for the mega-powerful character or weapon.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 18th, 2012   Terry Wood is offline   #8
Terry Wood
Geoffan

I totally agree. For the longest, Hal was supposed to be as powerful or nearly as powerful as Superman. Kyle was also incredibly powerful. But the more DC has played up the police force aspect of the Corps and teamed Lanterns together, they less powerful the rings have been portrayed, imo.

And that kind of makes since, in 60s, 70s and through most of the 80s, it was rare for Lanterns to work together. Generally they stayed in their own sector and other than in the early 80s GL Corps mini series, the whole corps never teamed up.

Now, in GL Corps and other books, there are four or five GLs working together every month.

But I also think the DCnU Superman has been powered down and maybe Wonder Woman, too.

Old February 18th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #9
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

But I also think the DCnU Superman has been powered down and maybe Wonder Woman, too.
ddf
Terry Wood View Post
There seems to be a general, across-the-board trend of powering down the heroes and powering up the villains.

Not universally true, of course, but still a noticeable pattern.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old February 20th, 2012   DRMOUSE2814 is offline   #10
DRMOUSE2814
Beta Lantern

I like the idea of the ring being less powerful now versus the Kyle-only era, keeping it in line with Larfleeze being powerful by virtue of the only ring wielder. The ring can be stronger based on the wielder of course, but a do-everything ring should be rare.

My gripe is that the ring just doesn't seem mythic. It's not a factor of there being too many rings as really the difference between 3600 and 7200 wouldn't change that. It's something in the writing, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, but that - and power levels - changes in cycles.

Old February 21st, 2012   Thrillho is offline   #11
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

I like the idea of the ring being less powerful now versus the Kyle-only era, keeping it in line with Larfleeze being powerful by virtue of the only ring wielder. The ring can be stronger based on the wielder of course, but a do-everything ring should be rare.

My gripe is that the ring just doesn't seem mythic. It's not a factor of there being too many rings as really the difference between 3600 and 7200 wouldn't change that. It's something in the writing, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, but that - and power levels - changes in cycles.
ddf
DRMOUSE2814 View Post
We've seen cases where just the act of flying depletes the ring noticeably, which makes me wonder how it ever packs enough power to, say, lift a boulder.

About the ring being mythic, that's an interesting storytelling question. It's like with Superman: do you tell stories that hinge upon how incredibly powerful he is, or do you go for how cleverly he uses his powers, or do you do stories where his powers can't really win the day? Same thing with power rings. While I felt that the whole "MOST POWERFUL WEAPON IN THE UNIVERSE!!!!" thing was done to death with Kyle, in GLC, the most epic events of late have involved a teleporting alien and conventional weaponry. So I could stand to see a reminder of how incredibly awesome the rings can be, yeah.

Old February 21st, 2012   DRMOUSE2814 is offline   #12
DRMOUSE2814
Beta Lantern

About the ring being mythic, that's an interesting storytelling question. It's like with Superman: do you tell stories that hinge upon how incredibly powerful he is, or do you go for how cleverly he uses his powers, or do you do stories where his powers can't really win the day? Same thing with power rings. While I felt that the whole "MOST POWERFUL WEAPON IN THE UNIVERSE!!!!" thing was done to death with Kyle, in GLC, the most epic events of late have involved a teleporting alien and conventional weaponry. So I could stand to see a reminder of how incredibly awesome the rings can be, yeah.
ddf
Thrillho View Post
(At the above average risk of rambling since the kids are on vacation this week and it's hard to form coherent thoughts )

I was thinking "mythic" in the "sword-in-the-stone" sense. Proclaiming the ring is the "most powerful weapon..." is kind of silly since it can be drained, blocked, broken, etc. It certainly should be among the high points of tech in the DCU, a comparatively rare object (I still think 7200 across the universe is rare) and I'm liking that the ring can't be used by just anyone.

It should take an enormous effort, but the whole sense of "this is more than your average super-hero" doesn't seem to be there.

Oddly, there's an abundance of "well, you're a GL, but THESE GLs are so much better than you." Exception being perhaps the late GL Porter. Even switching over to the other Corps, notably Blue and Saint Walker, he seems like an ordinary shmoe (granted, alien shmoe) these days.