The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 25th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Im not dead.

Smile Teen Titans issue #5 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

In their first battle as a team, The Teen Titans square off against N.O.W.H.E.R.E.'s most powerful weapon... The Superboy! But can the cunning of Red Robin, the speed of Kid Flash and the psionic might of Bunker stop a threat that has already taken out the powerhouse known as Wonder Girl? The fight rages from a battle cruiser docked in the Hudson River to the Central Park Zoo, but as a world stands up and takes notice, there is a very real possibility the Teen Titans might not survive their high profile debut!

Story by
Scott Lobdell
Art by
Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund
Colors by
Andrew Dalhouse
Letters by
Dezi Sienty
Cover by
Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund, Andrew Dalhouse
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Wed, January 25th, 2012
ddf

Old January 25th, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #2
Outside_85
persona non grata

Nope...still no reason to extend my subscription.

Old January 25th, 2012   LionKnight is offline   #3
LionKnight
Bloc Fighter!

Nope...still no reason to extend my subscription.
ddf
Outside_85 View Post
Starting to lose interest also; I feel like we have already had this series with these characters getting to know each other and now were just getting a retelling of those by gone days with a little twist.

Truthfully, I liked Superboy a lot more when he moved beyond his tactical T days.

One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha, then the left one will
Old January 26th, 2012   TTitanFan25 is offline   #4
TTitanFan25
Geoffan

I've been supporting this team since 1989, now I'm done. I'll pick it up when they go back to the original universe.

Old January 26th, 2012   chasm is offline   #5
chasm
Master Geoffan

Starting to lose interest also; I feel like we have already had this series with these characters getting to know each other and now were just getting a retelling of those by gone days with a little twist.

Truthfully, I liked Superboy a lot more when he moved beyond his tactical T days.
ddf
LionKnight View Post
Now you understand what it was like for Legion of Superheroes fans after three reboots. I think it would have been more interesting to have the Titans fully formed and jump in mid-story. This is too much reinventing the wheel.

Old January 26th, 2012   Astro@work is offline   #6
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I don't mind the Titans being restarted from day one...I just wish it was moving along faster. (I have the same complaint about the new JLA series). Issue #1 of the NTT had all the members gathered or introduced by issue #1. The decompressed storytelling is dragging it out too long IMO.

Not giving up, but ready for arc #2 to hurry up and get started!

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old January 26th, 2012   LionKnight is offline   #7
LionKnight
Bloc Fighter!

Now you understand what it was like for Legion of Superheroes fans after three reboots. I think it would have been more interesting to have the Titans fully formed and jump in mid-story. This is too much reinventing the wheel.
ddf
chasm View Post
What makes you think I'm not a Legion fan?

I do think they need to move the stroy on a little faster. Would rather see them jump forward about 6 months and show these guys as a group of new friends who while still have things to "get-to-know" they are already past the "I-have-to-explain-everything-about-my-character-and-powers" stage.

One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha, then the left one will
Old January 26th, 2012   ronaldj is offline   #8
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

i read it tonight...will give it a 7.5..not great not bad...just so/so

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old January 27th, 2012   BART ALLEN is offline   #9
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

(not) Teen Titans, i looked at the cover saw that bart had a hair on his chin decided i made the right decision not buying this awful book, and went back and re-read Tellos

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old January 27th, 2012   Joey Wilson is offline   #10
Joey Wilson
Geoffan

This is turning out to be one of the worst, most embarrassing iterations of the Titans ever (and considering the team's ups and downs through the decades, that's saying something!).

Old January 27th, 2012   JRM is offline   #11
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

What makes you think I'm not a Legion fan?

I do think they need to move the stroy on a little faster. Would rather see them jump forward about 6 months and show these guys as a group of new friends who while still have things to "get-to-know" they are already past the "I-have-to-explain-everything-about-my-character-and-powers" stage.
ddf
LionKnight View Post
I'm finding this a general problem with many of the books, especially within the Superhero core groups. Humm, didn't DCEditoral sort of suggest last summer that we would be seeing more done in one, two or only a few ... now it seems to be the same old trade-writing that has dragged the industry down for a decade. <sigh> Really was hoping that the would have made more effort on this front.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 27th, 2012   chasm is offline   #12
chasm
Master Geoffan

I'm finding this a general problem with many of the books, especially within the Superhero core groups. Humm, didn't DCEditoral sort of suggest last summer that we would be seeing more done in one, two or only a few ... now it seems to be the same old trade-writing that has dragged the industry down for a decade. <sigh> Really was hoping that the would have made more effort on this front.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
If longtime readers (like myself) are constantly complaining about the glacial pacing, wouldn't you think this would be a turn off to new readers as well? And new readers are the stated goal of this whole relaunch. The five to six issue trade format is hopelessly outdated for a new generation that can summon information & entertainment at their fingertips in mere seconds. You'd think the focus would be to tell one complete story per issue while planting subplots and foreshadowing to hook the reader into purchasing the next issue as well. If anything, the rhythm should be frenetic and nonstop. Instead we get the "wait & see" carrot before the horse thing, and that's not cutting it.

Old January 27th, 2012   tamaranorbust is offline   #13
tamaranorbust
Geoffan

If longtime readers (like myself) are constantly complaining about the glacial pacing, wouldn't you think this would be a turn off to new readers as well? And new readers are the stated goal of this whole relaunch. The five to six issue trade format is hopelessly outdated for a new generation that can summon information & entertainment at their fingertips in mere seconds. You'd think the focus would be to tell one complete story per issue while planting subplots and foreshadowing to hook the reader into purchasing the next issue as well. If anything, the rhythm should be frenetic and nonstop. Instead we get the "wait & see" carrot before the horse thing, and that's not cutting it.
ddf
chasm View Post
Let's just break this glacial pacing down. Back in 1980 it took 23 pages to assemble the entire team. That now takes 8-10 months plus one crossover, which brings it up to 1 year. In 1980, there were 30 pages in the issue, not 22. And today's issues cost 5-6 times as much.

That means it roughly takes 10 issues now to tell a story that used to take 1 issue to tell, with equal amounts of character development.

And that means it will be about 40 years, at this rate, before we see any significant character development or stories told in these titles with these characters. By that point, some of us will actually be in our graves; I'm not kidding.

And this is precisely why tossing continuity out the window in the name of clean slates and yadda yadda is a bad idea. In a serial, it takes decades, even with good story-tellers and editors who know how to make a story move, to make real progress with a character.

DC had invested almost fifty years in the classic Titans and had finally gotten somewhere with them. It took about 50 years (1960-2009) to get a character like Garth onto the throne of Atlantis in Titans 15 - and the editors only managed let Krul do that because they knew they were going to kill Garth off. The original Titans had done their time in the trenches and deserved better than being tossed out in favour of new characters.

As for this book, this is just Marvellized Young Justice with a bit of cross-industry pollination and some of Morrison's DP. How hard is that? Get moving.

Comics posts at my blog
HISTORIES OF THINGS TO COME
Old January 28th, 2012   JRM is offline   #14
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

ddf
chasm View Post
Yeah sort of how Paul use to write the LSH, then a multi issue arc were treats and could be discribes as his epic stories - not the same old, same old of today. Again, <sigh>

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 30th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #15
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Yeah sort of how Paul use to write the LSH, then a multi issue arc were treats and could be discribes as his epic stories - not the same old, same old of today. Again, <sigh>

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
I second that sigh....

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old January 30th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #16
jafabian
Im not dead.

Thirded....