The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old April 18th, 2011   Billy Batson is offline   #1
Billy Batson
Neo Geoffan

Default A Game of Thrones

Did anyone see the opening episode?

Any thoughts?

Read my movie reviews at my site
Old April 18th, 2011   Jay West is offline   #2
Jay West
Advanced Geoffan

I liked it. I vaguely remember reading the first novel.

Old April 18th, 2011   Saturn Girl is offline   #3
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Loved it! Especially the Lannisters. I look forward to seeing what else that family will do in the name of love...

I am the one who knocks.
Old April 19th, 2011   Drayven is offline   #4
Drayven

Loved it..my wife shrieked at the end.

A man walks into a bar, hands the innkeeper three nails and says.."Can you put me up for the night?"
Old April 19th, 2011   Werehunter is offline   #5
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

It was pretty good. For those who agree on that I have some good news, it's already been renewed for season 2. HBO is apparently banking on good DVD sales as well as good ratings.

Old April 19th, 2011   Saturn Girl is offline   #6
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

HBO has a pretty good track record for original series - I hope this one lasts at least five seasons like their other top shows.

I noticed a lot of cast interviews on YouTube, and listening to them talk about their characters makes me even more excited about upcoming episodes. And I finally realized why Khal Drago looked so familiar - he was Ronan on Stargate Atlantis! That heavy eye make up threw me off.

I am the one who knocks.
Old April 19th, 2011   DaVeO is offline   #7
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

George R.R. Martin better move his ass and finish those books. I read in an interview he is close to completing his latest, but there are still two to go. At his writing pace we won't see the end of the series for another 8 yrs. I can't even guess at the television series.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old April 19th, 2011   RoseWilson is offline   #8
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I liked it a lot. Def more impressed by this so far than The Borgias or Camelot two slightly similiar , at least in time period, premium channel shows just launched.

I'd say HBO's track record is mixed. I wasn't thrilled with their handling of Rome and Deadwood.

Old April 19th, 2011   Peter Bardyn is offline   #9
Peter Bardyn
7 Star General

I'd say HBO's track record is mixed. I wasn't thrilled with their handling of Rome and Deadwood.
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
You mean the way they killed off two very popular, yet expensive to produce shows, in favour of other less costly programs that were very quickly cancelled?

Regarding GoT, I have high hopes after seeing the preview, but want to wait till the second ep airs before checking it out. Sometimes the pilot episode can be slow so I like to view the second or third episode of a show before forming an opinion.

Old April 20th, 2011   Billy Batson is offline   #10
Billy Batson
Neo Geoffan

As a fan of the books I was looking forward to this, that said while I enjoyed it it I did also think this episode was a bit slow but I guess they had to build up the characters.
Good first episode with great opener and cliffhanger.
I was thrown a bit by the age spread of the Stark kids it did not match my imagings of them but not complaining

Old April 25th, 2011   Saturn Girl is offline   #11
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Did anyone watch the second episode? I'm really enjoying the story. The villains are delicious - I really wanted to smack that snotty little prince, and the intrigue surrounding Bran's fall is fascinating. Especially that scene where Queen Cersei visited his sickroom and talked about her own losses - what a magnificent liar, because I have no idea what parts of her story were true, or whether her visit was just to case the joint. Tyrion is a terrific character, I love it when he's onscreen. Can't wait until next Sunday!

I am the one who knocks.
Old April 25th, 2011   FlashEarthOne is offline   #12
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

I liked it a lot. Def more impressed by this so far than The Borgias or Camelot two slightly similiar , at least in time period, premium channel shows just launched.
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
I thought Camelot was ok... but I was still watching it. After the first episode of Game of Thrones, I can't watch Camelot anymore. It really made Camelot look ridiculous.

Old April 25th, 2011   FlashEarthOne is offline   #13
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

I was thrown a bit by the age spread of the Stark kids it did not match my imagings of them but not complaining
ddf
Billy Batson View Post
What was the age range in the books?

Old April 25th, 2011   FlashEarthOne is offline   #14
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

Did anyone watch the second episode? I'm really enjoying the story. The villains are delicious - I really wanted to smack that snotty little prince, and the intrigue surrounding Bran's fall is fascinating. Especially that scene where Queen Cersei visited his sickroom and talked about her own losses - what a magnificent liar, because I have no idea what parts of her story were true, or whether her visit was just to case the joint. Tyrion is a terrific character, I love it when he's onscreen. Can't wait until next Sunday!
ddf
Saturn Girl View Post
Who can't like Tyrion? These are all amazing characters. It was cool seeing Daenerys' character begin to move forward. Those Lannisters are great to hate. You just want to see Joffrey get his due. Not sure what to think of Sansa yet.

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Poor Lady. I wonder how that will affect Sansa.

Old April 25th, 2011   Saturn Girl is offline   #15
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

When I see Sansa, I see a normal young girl getting her first reality check that just because a boy is rich and cute, it doesn't necessarily mean he's a catch. It was disappointing to see her lie about Joffrey, but understandable especially for someone so naive. Losing Lady (and the respect of her sister) will hopefully teach her a valuable lesson about integrity.

I am the one who knocks.
Old April 25th, 2011   Billy Batson is offline   #16
Billy Batson
Neo Geoffan

The second episode was really good and brought back the feeling I had when reading the books.
Yes the Lannisters and Joffrey are really easy to hate, in the books all the characters are very well painted.