The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old August 29th, 2010   Jslab425 is offline   #1
Jslab425

Default Aquaman headlining Adventure Comics in '11 ? Speculation/Anticipation thread

Yep! That's my sincere hope and advance prediction based on several hints from Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio over the past few months.

First, Geoff has stated clearly that there specific plans for Aquaman, Mera, and the new Aqualad post-Brightest Day:

So I’ll ask flat out, do you have plans for Aquaman and Mera post-“Brightest Day?”

GJ: There are plans for Aquaman, Mera and Aqualad after “Brightest Day,” yes.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=27340

I think Geoff's comments are fairly self-explanatory.

Secondly Dan DiDio himself took ample time to talk about Aquaman's return to print and popularity at the Toronto FanExpo:

As the panel turned its focus to “Brightest Day,” DiDio spoke to the fan appreciation Aquaman has garnered. Recalling a dinner with the greater editorial staff at DC a few years back, DiDio remembered being pulled aside as many as 16 times throughout the evening to hear different pitches about bringing Arthur Curry back. Prior to Geoff Johns’ DCU-defining “Blackest Night,” DiDio’s hesitation in bringing the character back was based on one simple issue: who can name more than three Aquaman villains?

Looking at Batman, Superman, The Flash, and Wonder Woman, these characters all have a number of memorable faces in their rogue galleries. While one would be hard pressed to name even a few of Curry’s foes prior to “Brightest Day.” It was this explanation that led DiDio to state “the greatest characters have the greatest villains.”

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=28067

As Brightest Day is spotlighting at least 2 of Aquaman's rogues, I am guessing that DD told GJ, "build up his enemies, and then we'll talk about a series!" I have watched and listened to DD over the years and nothing he does in a public format is done or said without calculation. The fact that he chose to spend time talking positively about the Sea King at a con tells me he's "seeding the green." Gauging fans and planting the seeds of interest before making any official announcement

Thirdly, again at TFE, DD announced a that a new headliner for Adventure Comics would be launched in 2011 after the completion of Flashpoint.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=28072

Now here's where it gets tricky...The mention of Flashpoint and Andy Kubert might lead some fans to think that the new headliner would be a Flash character, but we already have the new Flash book Speed Force coming out next year and I doubt there is need for a 3rd. Plus, the Flash has never been associated with Adventure Comics in his long publication history.

I beleive that DD, made this comment to specifically reference Johns' schedule availability to write a new series, and the AK mention was most likely just to plug his art on Flashpoint. Now besides GL and the Flash, we all know GJ has invested a huge amount of time and effort in bringing back Aquaman and revitalizing his entire cast, much as he did for the two former characters. We also know that both the Legion and Superboy are moving out of Adventure having successfully earned their own ongoing monthly series. The Atom could move into a headlining role in Adventure but that seems highly unlikely to me and would not necessarily have any connection to GJ. DiDio's mention of the timing of the series indicates that the new character is somehow connected to Geoff Johns, i.e. AQUAMAN!

I think it would be a brilliant move and it jives with Geoff's style of working with characters by building them up slowly over long periods of time. I doubt DC is just going to full-force launch a new Aquaman ongoing out of Brightest Day (although I certainly wouldn't object to it!) and it makes perfect sense to keep Arthur, Mera, and the new Aqualad in the spotlight to test out the viability of a solo-series. Adventure Comics, which many older fans associate with Aquaman would be the perfect place to showcase his return to the DCU in my opinion.

Thoughts? Am I right or am I wrong in your opinion?

Old August 29th, 2010   krypt0nian is offline   #2
krypt0nian
Great Rao!

Decent reasoning and I would definitely buy Adventure Comics with Arthur and Ray as the Atom!

Long Live the Legion!
Old August 29th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #3
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Aquaman as the lead in Adventure Comics as prelude to an ongoing or an actual "Aquaman" ongoing would both be good.

Some good reasoning there!

I expect that references to Adventure Comics tying into Flashpoint will still involve the Legion since Flashpoint looks to be a time travelling event.

I think the Atom co-feature will end in early 2011 (Lemire said 10-parts?) so I could see a Martian Manhunter co-feature joining an Aquaman lead feature (J'onn has a history with Adventure Comics too).

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old August 29th, 2010   JRM is offline   #4
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Aquaman as the lead in Adventure Comics as prelude to an ongoing or an actual "Aquaman" ongoing would both be good.

Some good reasoning there!

I expect that references to Adventure Comics tying into Flashpoint will still involve the Legion since Flashpoint looks to be a time travelling event.

I think the Atom co-feature will end in early 2011 (Lemire said 10-parts?) so I could see a Martian Manhunter co-feature joining an Aquaman lead feature (J'onn has a history with Adventure Comics too).
ddf
oddballuk View Post
Well if nothing else does AQM has a long history in Adventure dating back to the 50's, but a run in both the 70's and 80's (with reprints as well in the Digest version).

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 29th, 2010   justicezombies is offline   #5
justicezombies
Neo Geoffan

Decent reasoning and I would definitely buy Adventure Comics with Arthur and Ray as the Atom!
ddf
krypt0nian View Post
That's a different concept. Are you thinking they would merge to form the Atom, similar to Firestorm?!

Old August 29th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #6
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Well if nothing else does AQM has a long history in Adventure dating back to the 50's, but a run in both the 70's and 80's (with reprints as well in the Digest version).

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
Agreed. I associate Aquaman with Adventure Comics as much as I associate the Legion with that book.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old August 29th, 2010   Most Excellent Superbat is offline   #7
Most Excellent Superbat

I'm hoping that this happens as well. Perhaps DC can use Adv. to test if characters are popular enough to get ongoings. Maybe six months of Aquaman, followed by Firestorm, so on.

Old August 29th, 2010   Neo God is offline   #8
Neo God
Geoffan

Atom will probably step down, and become a regular JLA-er. Aquaman will take Adventure Comics. Hawkman or Martian Manhunter could get co-features. Which ever one doesn't could get a miniseries.

Pull List: Action Comics, The Flash, Green Arrow, Superboy, Superman/Batman
Old August 29th, 2010   JRM is offline   #9
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Agreed. I associate Aquaman with Adventure Comics as much as I associate the Legion with that book.
ddf
oddballuk View Post
He likely has a lot more issues under his belt than the Legion has under theirs. They had 80 continous, a dozen or so between 247 and 300 and finally the digest reprints.

Jim

Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 29th, 2010   JRM is offline   #10
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Atom will probably step down, and become a regular JLA-er. Aquaman will take Adventure Comics. Hawkman or Martian Manhunter could get co-features. Which ever one doesn't could get a miniseries.
ddf
Neo God View Post
It might be nice if DCEditorial would let us know their mandate/approach for the title, or is it just eggs against the wall thing and see what sticks?

JIm

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 29th, 2010   Reed Solomon is offline   #11
Reed Solomon
Advanced Geoffan

Aquaman needs a villain named Billy Bass.

Old August 30th, 2010   Wally West888 is offline   #12
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I would love to see it, so Hawkman/Atom Adventure Comics would be a better combination IMO.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old August 30th, 2010   RCody is offline   #13
RCody

I think this is spot on. I've read somewhere that Geoff's schedule right now with all of the movies and outside of comic stuff is 2 monthlies and one special book. I see him staying on GL and Flash but after Flashpoint, he will have some room for something. Aquaman in Adventure Comics would be great. I think Johns would knock it out of the park.

Old August 30th, 2010   JRM is offline   #14
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I think this is spot on. I've read somewhere that Geoff's schedule right now with all of the movies and outside of comic stuff is 2 monthlies and one special book. I see him staying on GL and Flash but after Flashpoint, he will have some room for something. Aquaman in Adventure Comics would be great. I think Johns would knock it out of the park.
ddf
RCody View Post
So could a lot of other creators ....

Jim

The LSH ... RIP
Old August 30th, 2010   impulse1999 is offline   #15
impulse1999
Advanced Geoffan

I've posted that in a few places.... including a thread they locked about potential titles for 2011 and in the post-BD titles I placed Arthur as the headliner in Showcase as the other option, giving Hawkman and Atom their own book under "Adventure".... Either way... woohoo!

DCnU? We'll see....
Old August 30th, 2010   instinct0288 is offline   #16
instinct0288

I agree with your reasoning...HOWEVER:

Deadman could fit the bill just as easily as Aquaman couldn't he?