The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old November 13th, 2006   ConnorFan is offline   #1
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

Default How long do you give a book to impress you?

Given the recent news with regards to Aquaman and The Flash I've been thinking more and more about how much time I should give a new team to catch me. An issue? An arc? A year? Heck should books only get a flip through at the store?

Over the years I've tried all of the above. And none of them have yielded the feeling that I was really ready to drop, that I knew the potential of that creative team. And yet I would still drop for various reasons. But with that vague feeling like I'm missing out most of the time/miss judged (notable exceptions were warlord and robin under willingham), occasionally that feeling is strong enough to get me to buy again, but mostly I'm left feeling like I may or may not have given a creative team a fair chance.

How long do you give a book? What factors do you consider and how do they increase or decrease the number of books you try out? Do you think you should give teams more time then you do? less? Does it matter if it's spinning out of an event?

For instance with Flash right now I'm debating taking it off my pull list after issue 8 and simply flipping through issue 9 at the store. The whole JLA/Titans angle sounds kinda dull to me. And I just read a recap of the Flash history 4 issues ago.

On one hand I'd like to give the new guy a fair shot but on the other it's kinda got alot going against it for me.

With Aquaman I think I'll give Tad an arc, I liked his novels alot and though i'm concerned that he will diverge a great deal from the Busiek stories I've really been enjoying there are at least aspects to what he plans on telling that I'm intrigued by.

Old November 13th, 2006   Falloutboy is offline   #2
Falloutboy
Homesick at space camp

I'm sorry to admit but sometimes I give a re-launch an issue, if it doesn't grab me then I'll leave it there. If I was richer then I would hang on but my comic budget would suffer to carry on with a risk lol. If I'm trying something new then I will usually buy a trade (if there is one) first and see if it grabs me.

Old November 13th, 2006   vh4ever is offline   #3
vh4ever*
DOOM!

...I usually give a title 12 issues....to find its voice, or two arcs, in this age of compression writing, whichever comes first.....be it something I've never read before..(Jonah Hex,) or relaunches like The Flash, Doom Patrol, ( which I really wanted to like despite Byrne,) or Wonder Woman...

...personally I don't believe that Aquaman is going to be around in a year, and that blows too, as I've enjoyed his modern runs, save for Veitch's....

...Hawkgirl and the Atom are firmly on that bubble as well....the Flash and Wonder Woman are hard down too...and I've been reading both on this side of forever...

trying to decide which hand to chop off come this fall when Diamond Dave returns....
Old November 13th, 2006   Jake1823 is offline   #4
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

At least 4.

Where is everybody?
Old November 13th, 2006   Can1 is offline   #5
Can1
Supporters

oh .. it really depends

some stories I really want to like .. so I tend to give them a bit more in the benefit of the doubt category

others never make it apst the first issue

generally if I can not read through an issue of a book that I am on the fence about .. the decision has already been made

Buy what you like and you will never be disappointed!!
Old November 13th, 2006   Chris D. is offline   #6
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

I guess it depends on things. Such as the character and writer. I'll probably give a favorite character or writer a longer time to impress than something I try out but usually wouldn't really buy anyway.

Old November 13th, 2006   KevinTBrown is offline   #7
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

The first story arc or 6 issues, whichever is longer.....

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear
Old November 13th, 2006   Steve Chung is offline   #8
Steve Chung
Advanced Geoffan

Not long.

"Free Steve Chung!"
Old November 13th, 2006   Atom is offline   #9
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

At least 3 issues, depending on story arc. If the arc goes for 4, I might give it a 4th issue before giving up. If the story arc is borderline, then I'll let it go all the way through the first arc, then make a decision once I see the final delivery for the arc.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old November 13th, 2006   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #10
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

One shot, that's it. I don't subscribe to the "wait and see" way of things. If the first one I read sucks, I'm done. If it's a title I really like I just wait until the next creator comes along.

Old November 13th, 2006   Ryster is offline   #11
Ryster
Master Geoffan

first story arc to 6 issues. If it's not in my tastes I let it go.

Ryster
Old November 13th, 2006   Mick Fury is offline   #12
Mick Fury
Supporters

It depends on how much potential I see. Sometimes one issue is enough to tell I probably won't like it but if there is an interesting element and I want to see how it plays out I give it longer. I gave Y the Last Man 12 issues before I decided it wasn't for me. That's the longest I've given any book. I usually only give a book three or four issues.

Mike

Michael Brogan

If it goes without saying, why did you have to say it?--Charlie Brown
Old November 13th, 2006   Doug Zawisza is offline   #13
Doug Zawisza
Most Excellent Superbat

I'd like to give more, but I usually only give 3-4 issues. If it doesn't hook me, or I can't remember what happened prior to the fourth issue, then clearly, it does not matter enough for my money.

Old November 13th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #14
jafabian
I’m not dead.

The first full arc. I don't like leaving a book in the middle of things. If I do, inevitably, I'll be reading it sometime down the road and go "Aaaaauuugh!!!! What happened??? Why didn't I finish this arc????"

Old November 13th, 2006   Mark MacMillan is offline   #15
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Well, ever since creative teams started producing stories for trades I've decided to give them one full story arc to impress me. I can't really judge until I've read the completed work.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old November 13th, 2006   superfriend is offline   #16
superfriend
laughs at comics

I give a comic exactly 17 pages, including ads.

observe everything, admire nothing